Thoughts on Overwolf?

recently twitch has given CurseForge to Overwolf meaning that to update addons and such you need to download overwolf, I have heard a lot of bad things about overwolf but idk like to hear people’s thoughts also I know there is WowUp. io but that program will most likely be taken down when Overwolf takes over on december 2nd

Lets see…

• Overwolf has ads that are a pain to block.
  • Adservers have served malware way more often than anyone should feel comfortable with.
  • They sent cease & desist letters to alternative manager addons. (Not sure if they followed up, they had a news post on the matter too, which has been taken down since, following the backlash)
  • It’s a bloated piece of software.

I’m never going to install it. If WowUp has its API access revoked, I’ll find another way to manage my addons - probably directly from source (GitHub & co), since the vast majority of my addons are available from git anyway.

Until WowUp works, I’ll be using that.

27 Likes

Yeah these are the thing people have been saying and i was concerned about that :confused: cant you install add-ons straight from CurseForge to tho? people say its more complicated but if you don’t need a middle man and it goes straight to your folder might be a easier way

Legend has it that it spies on your browser history and your credit card informations.

I don’t know though, just legend…

I’d rather play with no addons than use OverWolf, for the reasons mentioned above by Ancelyn. Luckily it’s not a necessity and we can just install addons manually too, it’s just less convenient.

But for the time being WoWup does what I want nicely and I hope it will continue to do so.

3 Likes

I can, but I don’t want to. The entire point of an addon manager is to make it easy to update addons. I don’t want to go visit any site every single day to check all my addons for updates, and download them one by one, if there’s any.

I use a lot of addons, this just doesn’t scale. I have better ways to spend my time than hunting addon updates, that’s what an addon manager is for. So one way or the other, I will automate it without the use of Overwolf

Precisely this.

I’ll just limit my addons to DBM and that’s about it.

I’m not installing malware, I’m not 12 anymore. At least not physically.

What I’m more concerned is websites like Wowhead promoting overwolf.

11 Likes

Well if you find a good solution id love to hear about it im not to tech-savvy

WowUp works fine for now. If it stops working, rest assured, I’ll post my solution on the forums.

5 Likes

Was tempted to move my addon to my own personal website, but that would take it from very little downloads to practical 0… sadly I’m not good enough to make my own addon manager otherwise I so would :rofl:

1 Like

It’s not that bad, I run it once in a while, update my addons and shut it down before starting to play.
The alternatives are blocked by windows (this software might harm your computer message) so I avoid them.

Installed Overwolf for another title long ago, spent three days removing all the malware and bloatware it installed. It may have improved, but I am avoiding it.

4 Likes

Overwolf has to be the worst client/overlay I’ve ever used. The only way to use it is just to turn it on, update addons and then shut it down to the last process in task manager. When they announced the transition to Overwolf, the first thought that crossed my mind was “Oh. I’m gonna update my addons manualy via zip files again.”

3 Likes

I already removed my addons from CurseForge. I don’t care how many people use it, I make them for myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

(One has been re-uploaded there by someone else with my permission though - the license allows it, so I’m not gonna block it.)

1 Like

I’m currently using WoWup, no issues so far the popup from it not being trusted is normal from small developers as their software is not licensed.

I will never touch Overwolf, I did in the past and it riddled my computer with a horrible virus that was distributed through adware, never again.

2 Likes

WowUp has been a very suitable replacement for me so far. Much slimmer with no unnecesary or invasive features.

1 Like

even if overwolf fixed all the issues that people speak off, it still worries me that they are paying the addon mods with the Ad system which is a no-no according to blizzard.

Our viewing of the ads will feed someone.

also, morning all ^^/ hope you having a lovely Sunday.

Twitch paid addon developers too, and their main income is ads. I think the issue here is the type of ads

As long as there is a need to do so, people will always come up with a way around Overwolf or its Ads

Just like MonopolyTube makes basically zero ad revenue from me

I installed it yesterday . I blocked everything from it because you can reject everything it wants you to say yes to. Havent had issues i only keep it on for max 5 minutes a day while i update my addons and then i close the programs completely.
Also havent seen a single ad from it or on it yet since i rejected everything.