Time to ban boosts for gold

How else are people suppose to make gold. I mean they “violated” (without lube) professions so badly you can hardly turn a profit. And those “banned for using keystroke duplication software” multiboxer’s are still ruling the herb farming market.

1 Like

i roleplayed earned 50k a hour from it 10 hour RP i had 500k …
thats 15 mill in 1 month just from roleplaying …

Do the guys from Limit strike you as Role Players?

i made a level 1 Gnome on Agent Drawn :rofl:

I don’t condone RMT, but I do feel for the guys who got banned for coaching.

Blizzard’s esports scene is so poorly organised that people who participate in their tournaments are barely making any money. Especially considering the amount of time and dedication required to get to that point, and that’s if you actually win. It’s more worse if you don’t get first place. It’s why people are dropping out of MDI as well.

Why spent months preparing for MDI (time during which you can’t really actively stream as much so no income there), for relatively small prize money (which can all be taken away by external factors like DCs etc) when you can play Path of Exile, earning more money by participating in community organised events which you can also fulltime stream :man_shrugging:

They either just need to accept their esports scene is a joke and give it up or work to improve it a lot.

1 Like

That’s just the manifestation of Blizzard’s lack of support for WoW as an esport. Which is disheartening to many of us, but has been a fact since the dawn of wow.

“Professional” players need to realise that wow is not a game where you can make a living as a professional player. Most of the money actually comes from external sponsors and the investment just isn’t there for wow.

There are of course ways to make money with wow, streaming being the primary example. Making a living playing video games is an extremely competitive endeavour on many levels and unfortunately players can’t expect sympathy for not being supported on their ambitions. I’m sure plenty of us would like to make good money playing video games, but the reality is most of us will instead become productive members of society in other ways - which is not a bad thing

I don’t care about boosting… but at least remove advertisement from the in-game chat and group finder.

Its what the trade chat is for however. Given its a trading business. They should however contact the communities in general to tune it down a notch in general.

Thats already forbidden and its blizzard fault for not monitoring it.

They need to be slapped with harsh punishments so that I don’t feel like I’m wasting my time reporting them daily in group finder.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree with you. I disagree with the hypocrisy of Bliz banning boosts for cash because it doesn’t line bliz pockets. Yet boosts for gold will be ignored (but gold is still cash due to the tokens costing cash) but with tokens. Bliz get the cash.

It’s so hypocritical.

6 Likes

Exactly this. You won’t be able to completely avoid boosting but right now Blizzards gearing philosophie outright encourages boosting. Without gating every item behind rating and without making the power difference between item level that high people would have less reasons to boost.

The fact that they ban people for RMT shows that they are fully aware of how awful and destructive boosting is to the game. But I guess when it’s done via WoW tokens it’s fine. It’s kinda shocking how boosting seems to be a normal thing in WoW (I haven’t seen anything like this in other games at least not to this extend), streamers do it constantly these days, content creators talk openly on youtube about how great it is to get boosted to high rank like it’s something to be proud of.

I don’t disagree, but that’s why I feel for them I guess.

Many people love WoW and I think it sucks that the pro players can’t make money by winning official tournaments compared to other games, considering how big WoW is. I don’t know how much time rank 1 people put into WoW compared to top ranked people who play other competitive games, but I assume it is fairly similar.

WoW was obviously not designed around esports as much as Dota/LoL, but I feel that if they want to participate in esports and host tournaments they need to make the effort to create a healthy competitive scene. It’s not fair to organise these tournaments for the spotlight and publicity and then not bother to actually work on them imo.

I think I read somewhere that the majority of teams participating in MDI
actually lose revenue by participating because if you’re not part of a big name like Method it’s hard getting sponsors. Looking at MDI 2021 the first place prize is $8000 I believe. Assuming every dollar goes to the players (which I doubt) that’s $1600 per player and that is IF YOU WIN.

Problem is that its not even the regular boosting groups like sylvanas, rcu, oblivion etc that are doing it but “independent” sites. Which makes permanent banns for these people kinda pointless if the finder isnt observed 24/7 by Blizzard to prevent it as these people couldnt care less as they would just boost a new char and hop into the finder again.

The big communities dont do it as that would just be begging for receiving the gallywix treatment.

The issue with the MDI is it really just highlights what good players can do with the utter imbalance there is in the classes.

If every class and race was balanced properly you wouldn’t have a team of 5 night elf’s and the same 5 classes racing to the end.

This in turn is displayed again in the arena tournaments. Same classes and specs over and over.

The sad thing is - contrary to what I am saying - bliz tend to make balance changes based on these tournaments. But they only patch THEY classes. They ignore the specs and classes that clearly need work.

The game has never been totally balanced. But it is very heavy on 5-6 classes and specs right now. In both PvP and pve.

Just glancing through it seems a lot of are for sites, very dodgy.

Sure, but that’s what I mean by putting in the work/effort. There’s many things they could do to make MDI more interesting. At the moment teams aren’t even really competing against each other, they’re just competing against a timer and whoever does it fastest wins.

There’s many options Blizzard could experiment with, such as allowing teams to pick/ban affixes, dungeons and even specs/classes. This alone would add a strategic element to allow teams to strategise against each other. I don’t participate in MDI so I have no idea if those things would work or wanted, this is just to give an example.

Meta classes will always be a thing though, just like other popular esports have metas.

Ye thats my point. The big communities wont touch this area especially after Gallywix. They want to (and have to) work within anything that is allowed. That means trade chat advertising or in guilds or as conversation topics here and there and thats it.

They have nearly nothing to gain from advertisting in LFG compared to what they could potentially loose if Blizzard goes ham on them given how “just” purging Gallywix admins removed billions of gold from the servers.

And they want to achieve a respectable reputation given how many communities still forbid their boosters to work for Nova and its very bad reputation.

Things are a bit more nuanced though. What exactly is “coaching”? It’s when you play your own character with someone more experienced that tells you what to do? Is it when you don’t die right away? Is there a value by which you’re supposed to contribute, say at least X% efficiency, and below that it’s boosting? What happens when a more experienced friend plays with a less experienced one? Isn’t that also coaching? If no, then why? It’s the same outcome at the end of it all, doesn’t matter by what method the two/three/five/ten/twenty players agreed to play together, right? If yes, then what actually makes the difference?

As I’ve already mentioned, in this day and age there is more than enough data available for algorithms to flag suspicious players for review.
Would it be able to catch absolutely everyone? No, definitely not.
But it would catch the majority.

Thing is - it’d take Blizzard manpower to write that algorithm and also to review the flagged accounts. On top of that they’re not interested in banning boosting because they’re making money off of it by selling more WoW Tokens.

The point isn’t whether or not people who boost for gold could be caught. I have faith they would be, in fact, the vast majority of them so that boosting would be deterred. My point is rather what is the big difference between being friends with a high rated player or paying a high rated player? You have the same skills at the end of the day, you still end up being effectively boosted, you still play your own character, the only difference is the means by which you “convince” someone with superior experience and/or skills to play with you. Why is that of all things a salient difference so that someone that plays with their high rated friends should be left alone and someone who plays with high rated players they payed should be banned or stopped?