Time to Bind the Covenants

Here’s what I’m thinking…

All the covenants are working toward the same goal. Why are we ‘betraying’ them to switch covenant?

We should be able to swap covenant as and when we please. Work towards 40 renown (as it stand now, higher in 9.1) on each of the covenants. Earn all of their trust, and swap back and forth as we please, without restriction. This would give players something more to work towards, and you could swap covenant if you wanted to play a different spec. It would essentially add more content, without having to add any more content. Players are reluctant to swap covenants now, because of the implications in swapping back, mostly time gated ones. Why is that even a thing?

So what I’m proposing is the ability to change covenant in Oribos (where you choose your covenant) whenever you like. The first time you switch you have to earn renown with them to make it worth while, which we have to do now anyway. But switching back is easy and simple, by just talking to them in Oribos. Obviously you keep each covenants progress when switching as well (I think this is the case now? Not sure as I’m apprehensive about switching, hence the ‘idea’).

Anyway, all in all I think this would be a positive change. Giving players more to work towards whilst not impacting very much developer time. It would be easy to implement, the system is already there, just remove the time gating and remove the implications of switching covenant.

Please and thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

It never made any sense. It’s completely arbitrary for the sake of having a choice. Not a good and intersting choice mind you, just choice. I have never understood this philosophy and I never will.

Imagine if in Legion we were restricted to only be able to use one artifact, meaning one spec, instead of being able to work on all 3 separately whenever we choose. I really doubt people’s memories of Legion would be as good as they are. This is almost the same thing. It’s dumb.

2 Likes

Raise renown to max = unlock Covenant ability/souldbinds while “serving” other covenants.

Pick covenant = able to use transmogs.

Thats what i would like.

1 Like

This is commonly known as “Pulling the Ripcord”, Blizzard say they CAN but that they WON’T. They want this to be a meaningful choice, by meaningful they actually mean painful and infuriating.

1 Like

hehe yeah, but there is no meeningfull choise at all as you said,
exept take right one or gimp your self so badly you cant do anything.

Covenants should have been cosmetic and the skills you should have been able to choose what ever one you want, like for example I want wildspirits, but I do not want night fae soul shape, so I take chakram instead.

My guess is you’ll get your wish but only much later in the expansion

2 Likes

The phrase was used by Ion actually, and he said that they’d do it as a last resort, so I imagine in 9.3.

Aka when it doesn’t matter anymore.

1 Like

No.
And I say that as someone that absolutely despises Covenants right now.

One of the biggest struggles in beta was trying to separate between this and not wanting player power to be tied to Covenants.

One of the biggest struggles was trying to convince them not to tie this much player power and very different ability designs and perks behind this choice, all to avoid exactly the issues we now have, to nobody’s surprise, and to avoid having to “pull the ripcord” later on… and they are in too deep now to do anything else.

Easily swappable covenants will most likely be a huge marketing move of the last patch of Shadowlands. We’ve learned to expect as much.

1 Like

Why?
I actually like this.
I like to be in my covenant, i like to make the choice( i just dont like the player power assoiated with it)
I like knowing that there are three story lines i have not done before.

i recently finished Bastion on my shaman and it was awesome. Better then Ardenweald.
I’ve also done Revendreth months ago, it was okay, i guess.

And now 6 months into the expansion, there is still Maldraxxus waiting for you.

The coventants work on trust, You build your trust with them and in return you help them recover. They give you weapons, pets, friends, solders.
It makes sense that you cannot do this for all four. The covenants are seperate enteties.

Keep it the way it is. Dont punish players too hard when they eventually do swap and/or swap back. But a choice in game like this, i really dont see the problem with that.

just remove player power. Have people pick their ability so they can go with class fantasy and personal identiy over whats best( AKA warlock nightfae… poor buggers)

It’s not really hard to understand. While Covenants are working towards the same goal, they do it on their own ways, fulfilling their own needs in the procees.

If you’re a member of a covenant they trust you with their secrets, going to another covenant is betraying their trust.

IRL example could be the different secret services / polices. Obviously most of them wants to track and capture criminals, but they still won’t share everything with each other. There are countless times when multiple agencies worked together, trained together, etc… but that doesn’t mean they share everything with each other.

90% of players seem to agree that being locked to a covenant is rubbish.

Unfortunately Blizzard do not agree, and that’s where the discussion ends :confused:

This is the problem. I also like NF. I’m NF on all of my characters and I’m just lucky they happen to be the best or one of the better ones for the characters I play, because they are by far my favourite covenant. But you said it yourself, you don’t like the player power behind it. Very, very few people actually do. That is the problem we’ve always had with the system, not the choice.

2 Likes

This for last patch of the xpac - they tend to let power go a bit mental at the end of an xpac so i wouldn’t be surprised for this

I completely agree with you.
After all the video’s i had seen before the launch of shadowlands, Ardenweald became my favorite.
I am just lucky my main is a hunter and Ardenweald is BIS.
i am glad i am not ‘’ forced’’ to go Kyrian or Maldraxus

Technically you’re not forced, i know BUT if you do 2K dps less then everyone else thats a significant ammount!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.