Tips for a beginning sub rogue?

I played rogue for some time but always played assassination. This xpac i want to play sub rogue and ive been trying to master the rotation since prepatch launched this wednesday.

I find it pretty hard because there are a lot of abilities you need to use and the rotation is very fast. I press the wrong button a lot and i find it hard to switch between single/multi target because slice and dice and rupture are like number 2 en 3 on my keyboard and shuriken storm is 7 and i also need my other abilities within reach like crimson vial and cloak of shadows.

I was wondering if more experienced sub rogues could give me some tips like how to set up keybinds or maybe share some useful macro’s. The only macro i use right now is to cast symbols of death and shadow dance together. My keybindings right now are:

shadowdance - backstab/shadowstrike - eviscerate - slice dice - rupture - vanish - shuriken storm - sprint - evasion

Thanks in advance!

you don’t need macros really, but combining dance and symbols is often nice, depends on how it plays out in terms of energy.

your most important binds are shadowstrike, backstab, shuriken storm, eviscerate and the upcoming black powder. these are the buttons you press all the time rotationally, so they need to be comfortable to reach. me personally i have:
backstab E
eviscerate R
shuriken storm F
shadowstrike mouse button
black powder shift-spacebar

dance (and potentially symbols) are important as well because you need to press them off global while pressing the above buttons. i use shift-R for dance.

Thanks for your reply! Very helpful. I wonder why you use different keybinds for backstab and shadowstrike? My backstab button changes into shadowstrike whenever i enter stealth or shadowdance

it’s pretty minor but if i’m playing gloomblade and a paladin has used bop on someone, shadowstrike is useless but gloomblade still goes through.

Everyone’s keybinds are going to be different and whats comfortable for some will be awkward for others.

Just a few examples of mine to give you an idea:
1 - backstab (or shadowstrike in stealth)
2 - Shurikan toss
3 - shiv
F - Eviscerate
Shift+F - fan of knives
R - Rupture
X - Kidney Shot
C - Cheap shot
G - Blind
T - Sap
Mousewheel-up - shadowstep
Shift + Mousewheel-up - focus target step
Alt + mousewheel-up - sprint
Mousewheel-down - kick
Mousewheel click - stealth
Shift+1 - shadow dance
Shift+2 - symbols
Shift+3 - shadow blades

I also have mouse buttons for a lot of others. I don’t have keybinds for 4,5,6 etc. because I don’t find it it comfortable, but you might so go for it.

I use modifier macros for using abilities on focus targets (I.e. pressing shift and a button to interrupt or cc focus target). This saves me a lot of space on my action bars.

I have a macro for burst cooldowns (so combining my orc racial, on-use trinkets and symbols). I also find it useful to have a specific macro for sap - so I can spam sap and it’ll sap any nearby target (this is useful for finding stealthed targets).

Lastly, I have a macro for my stealth so that I can spam my stealth key without accidently coming out of it again.

I can share these macros with you but I’m not online at the moment so don’t have them all to hand.

1 Like

Hello Retier,
I saw on the forums that you’ve been helping people to get Old sounds effects for rogues and I Don’t know how to send you a DM so I decided to come here even if its not the right topic. Do you mind helping me understand how to install them please ?
Thank you

I just started my sub rogue last week and am still learning the rotation and optimizing my key-binds. Because it’s impossible to fit all the typical builders and finishers on 1 action bar row, I’ve roughly split them across action bars by builder vs finisher type:

1: Shadowstep (maybe I should move this out, since I don’t use it as frequently as other stuff)
2: Backstab
3: Shuriken Storm
4: Symbol of Death
5: Shadow Dance
6: Heart of Azeroth / Covenant skill
Q: Shiv
E: Kick
Middle Mouse: Stealth
Thumb Mouse 1: Vanish
Thumb Mouse 2: Blind

Shift-1: Rupture
Shift-2: Eviscerate
Shift-3: (reserved for Black Powder)
Shift-4: Secret Technique
Shift-5: Shadow Blades
Shift-E: Kidney Shot

Ctrl-1: Slice and Dice
Ctrl-2: Feint
Ctrl-3: Cloak of Shadows
Ctrl-4: Evasion

1 Like

what is it you’re having trouble with?

There’s a way to get the old Ambush noise instead of Shadowstrike?

I used to have the old ambush/backstab sound for shadowstrike, old poison hit sounds, old hemo/mutilate sounds etc. in Legion. Now that I’m trying to do it again, I can’t get anything to be altered. I don’t see what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve added for example:

1305797, – sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_01.ogg
1305798, – sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_02.ogg
1305799, – sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_03.ogg
1305800, – sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_04.ogg

at the top in my OldGunSounds file.
I’ve then added
elseif arg3==185438 or arg3==345121 or arg3==231718 or arg3==245623 then
PlaySoundFile(“Interface\\AddOns\\OldGunSounds\\backstab.ogg”)
elseif arg3==53 or arg3==34614 or arg3==319949 then
PlaySoundFile(“Interface\\AddOns\\OldGunSounds\\backstab.ogg”)

( it looks correct with indentations etc in the lua file, but not here when I paste it)
I put some extra ID’s in there as you can see, just to try if I had the wrong ones but still doesn’t work. I tested with the active ID’s alone too, but nothing.

I did the same for all spells I want to change but nothing works. I’ve also made sure my file name for the sounds are correctly referenced to (in above case backstab.ogg)

Help plox.

Edit: /ogs doesn’t even work for me in-game. It says “Type ‘/help’ for a listing of a few commands” as if the addon isn’t even loaded (even though it says it’s loaded in my addons window ingame).

This is so weird.

do you have two hyphens after the ID and the comma for the muting bit? also the very last one does not have a comma in mine.

1305797, --	sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_01.ogg 
1305798, --	sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_02.ogg
1305799, --	sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_03.ogg
1305800 --	sound/spells/spell_ro_shadowstrike_cast_revamp_04.ogg
}

the part that plays the sound file looks the same as mine from what i can tell. here’s one.

elseif arg3==185438 then
     PlaySoundFile("Interface\\AddOns\\OldGunSounds\\backstab_impact_chest.ogg")

if the addon doesn’t work at all though then you should probably figure that out first. try running the addon unmodified and see if it works. i haven’t messed with mine in the new patch and it works fine still.

as a sidenote, you wouldn’t know the name of the old slice and dice sound by any chance? can’t seem to find it. edit: it was “cleavetarget”. gotta love these names.

just rember Sub rogue has high skill cap to master …

1 Like

Got it to work now. Not sure what I did wrong the first time!
Great to hear that you figured it out with the SND sound. It’s probably because cleaving used to make that sound, and also the actual warrior ability “Cleave” :slight_smile:
Similar for old mutilate and hemo, which is named rendtarget as rend used to have that sound.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.