TitanForging was it really bad?

Yep. One thing I am excited about for SL is the reduce source of loot.
World quests for example do not shower you with pointless loot the same way BFA does with 415/430/445 rewards.

The only RNG a piece of gear should have is does it drop or not.

2 Likes

I call this group: let’s piss against the wind

1 Like

I think this was the biggest problem apart from the massive disappointment of getting a non max TF item with socket and extra stat.

Loot should just be:-

• Did the boss give me loot - yes/no
  • Is it an item I can use - yes/no

Instead under the TF system it was:-

• Did the boss give me loot - yes/no
  • Did it titanforge - yes/no
  • Did it warforge - yes/no
  • Did it have a socket - yes/no
  • Did it have an extra stat - yes/no
  • Is it an item I can use - yes/no

We had to constantly sim because there was no possible BiS with all the variables in ilvls stats and in particular sockets. You could go to a lower level raid and get a high TF and then never replace it, you could kill that boss on a higher difficulty and never get an upgrade.

It was literally just more make you play metrics to chase that TF gear. To get you to go back again and again. A carrot on a stick to keep people playing for as long as possible on a never ending treadmill.

I’m so glad it’s gone. Loot became such a letdown.

13 Likes

I would argue it was an olive branch for the people who did easier content but were given a chance for a better gear.
But general opinion somehow turned this welfare benefits down.

I am amazed by this cause I saw it like this:
You are full heroic geared and can’t go past first three mythic bosses before nerfs with your guild:

1. with TF you still have a reason to do this content and get reward you wouldn’t see otherwise and with it might go further on mythic progress
  2. without TF you stuck at your progress for a long time

TF gave people a feeling everyone can be on pair with mythic raiders and people appetite has grown past seeing this welfare and actually believing they will be targeting mythic top gear without it. But I can’t obviously give proof before we see wow without this TF/corruptions/sockets.

2 Likes

Because decoupling reward from content difficulty sort of stops the desire to improve because you can still pretty easily get phat lewt from trivial content.

Not all people will agree but I don’t see this as a good thing.

5 Likes

No it wasn’t, but there are always people who think whatever they did not achieve was because of external reasons.

Now since TF is gone they find new targets - be it RIO, Armory or people selling boosts, or in some cases perhaps Multiboxers. In any case people have always needed target to complain about.

Whatever Blizzard would do or fix, same people would move onto next complaint.

3 Likes

I get it. But sometimes it just feels good to get good stuff for trivial content. But this should be a rare event tough.

And for some people it made loot disappointing when you didn’t get tf proc.
To this day I did not get titanforged font

1 Like

I rather chase loot than borrowed powers like AP needed to fuel ability X.

Wow throws too much welfare gear at players without titanforging. +40 ilvls based purely on luck was a bad design

2 Likes

It made an artificial grind out of nothing and for many killed the excitement of finally getting that BiS stat item just to find it not TF’d (or socketed).

WF/TF was fine when it was “just” a smaller ilvl increase iirc +8ilvl in MoP where it was introduced, but the Legion model onwards was just god awful.

3 Likes

I liked TF. It’s unlikely to return in the near future. Oh well.

3 Likes

by the looks of it the only people are complaining about it are the people who do Mythic raiding.

What if mythic raid content wouldn’t drop Titanforging and drops the same type of gear.
but lower contents would have titanforging to get near Mythic level gear.
as example

Heroic Raid gear = 110 ilvl
Heroic Raid Titanforged = 120 ilvl
Mythic Raid gear = 120 ilvl (always comes with socket and extra stat)

Yep, thats exactly what was happening. Bad performance? Gear/tactic/group/other people issue but my skill was flawless! It was TF and me not getting luck.

Now that loot will be rare people will just burn out faster as it will be pure luck to get something you need.

Instead of smooth gear progression that TF gave, it will be steep stairs straight to hell. 50 dungeons still no weapon/trinket/etc… tough luck. Jimmy got theirs in first attempt!

Titanforging was awful and i think nixxiom in a video a while back encapsulated it pretty well like this:

Imagine you and a friend are in a math class, the test is due in 1 month, you spend 5 hours a day studying while your friend just plays video games, watches TV, and hangs out with his friends.

Test day comes, you both write the test, you get an A because you studied so well, your friend gets a C, but it magically titanforges into an A and you both walk away from the test with the same grade, even though you put in infinitely more effort. Its just not fair.

That is why titanforging was bad.

4 Likes

Except this is wrong because of inability to understand math.

+15 was about 1.5% dps increase

So if you are studying while friend is waching tv, playing games:

1. You get 5.0 score out of 6.0
  2. Your friend gets 3.0 but it titanforges to 3.2

Titanforging was an awful system, good riddance.

4 Likes

You may want to be careful with blanket statements like this, sure a Titanforged pair of bracers from the arcway may correlate to a 1.5% increase in DPS.

A titanforged arcanocrystal? Yeah i think that correlates to a bit more than 1.5%

3 Likes

To help your guild and to socialize with them.

This idea that once you get the items you need you’re done with the raid is incredibly selfish and permeates the entirety of WoW. You’re done with the raid when your guild is done with the raid.

The main problem with titanforging is that it made non-titanforged items actual garbage. The insistence that players have to have a reward to pursue in order to play has permanently damaged WoW. Nobody plays for fun anymore. They all play in pursuit of some carrot. If a raid is fun, I’ll do it because it is fun, no need for a reward. If in the meantime I help some of my ungeared guildies get some gear - all the better.

3 Likes

It doesnt. It feels good only to dopamine addicts. If you get item and there was no meaningfull work done then players just put it in and forget about. Thats like most boring reward you can have in video game. It serve only one purpose. Inject dopamine into your brain for those few secods when you get item. It works for while but player hit point where they simply stop caring about anything they do and quit playing game.

1 Like