Top 3 BEST & WORST Expansions

Top 3 =
#1. Wrath of the Lich King
#2. Cataclysm
#3. The Burning Crusade

^^ Sometimes I like like Cataclysm more than Wrath of the Lich King…
If judging purely from an end game point of view then I had a lot more fun in Cataclysm. I really liked each of the leveling zones, and Cataclysm had by far the best 5 man dungeons! The raids were pretty solid too, though Dragon Soul was a bit of a let down at the end.
If judging the game as a whole at the point of each expansion, Then Wrath of the Lich King would take the top spot. I much preferred the old 1-60 zones, before the Cataclysm. I think the key phrase “variety is the spice of life”. I much prefer having more choice of Weapon swing speeds, fast in off hand or fast for tanking. When Rogues & Warriors had a ranged slot & when Hunters could equip melee weapons & ranged at the same time. Further profession specialization and traditional talent trees. Also more stats to play with, defense, armor penetration, spell power & so on.

I remember playing a Protection Paladin in WotLK, equipping him with a mix of tank & healer gear, enchanting mostly spell power, glyphing “avengers shield” to hit fewer targets but deal way more damage. The result… a walking fortress with amazing survive-ability, healing to full in just a couple flash heals, and capable of big burst damage at range. :smile:

Worst 3 =
#3. Battle for Azeroth
#2. Shadowlands
#1. Warlords of Draenor

^^ Perhaps I’m being too harsh on Warlords of Draenor…
I only played the game for like 2 or 3 weeks of WoD, with 1 month active sub at the beginning & end of the expansion. The sheer amount of cut content was also very disappointing. Something clearly went wrong in their development cycle. Many missed opportunities I feel.
As it currently stands I have clocked a lot more hours in Battle for Azeroth than I have for Shadowlands. Also I much prefer the zones, music & general vibe of BFA when compared to Shadowlands. Everything seems a little disconnected in this expansion.

All of the worst the expansions, plus Legion, share some similarities… The replacement of old fashioned daily quests for random world quests within each zones, Garrison/command tables, and general pruning of the classes I feel has resulted in the game feeling way more repetitive. Almost laborious! Zone scaling may also contributes to this.

5 Likes

You definately are.
BfA so far was the worst ever. Then it’s duel between WoD and Shadowlands.
But since Shadowlands works against new players and creates such a large barrier of entry to new players as well as continues with player-hated systems, I’d say WoD was actually least bad out of those 3.

So I’d say worst 3 are:

• 3rd: Warlords of Draenor
  • 2nd: Shadowlands
  • 1st: Battle for Azeroth

My 3 best are:

• 3rd: WotLK
  • 2nd: TBC
  • 1st: Cataclysm

That said I apply it to those in their time. In current time I don’t think some grinds from TBC are reasonable (PvP honor and conquest for example).
But I still like a lot of aspects of it.

I also didn’t hate WoD as much as PvPer. But what I absolutely hated was Feral form with Claw of Shirvallah.

1 Like

As a PvP guy, best ones for me;

1. MoP
  2. WOTLK
  3. WoD

Worst ones,

1. SL
  2. BfA
  3. Legion
14 Likes

Best.

1. TBC
  2. WotLK
  3. Legion

Worst.

1. Shadowlands
  2. BfA
  3. WoD
3 Likes

Honestly, I hate these threads, because what is bad to one person was probably great to another. So I’m going to open up on this one.

Best Expansions:

1. BFA
  2. TBC
  3. Shadowlands.

Worst Expansions:
3) Wotlk
2) Legion

1. WOD

Reason for my choices.

I played all through BFA and TBC, and I have played a lot of Shadowlands. So they’re the expansions which have kept me most occupied. BFA I particularly enjoyed.

Wotlk made me quit, because of the Vehicle mechanics in dungeons and raids. And neither Legion or WOD interested me enough to want to play either of them, so they end up in the worst pile. WOD is worst because I just can’t handle playing through it.

Every other expansion I touched on to some extent, so fall in between.

4 Likes

Worst:
Shared 1st place: WoD and SL

• WoD was horrible in all aspects besides 2 raids and class design, SL horrible in every aspect but at least there is content to do.

2nd place: Cataclysm

• Lack of content

3rd place: Legion

• Class design took it’s worst turn here as well as a lot of lore butcher.

Best:
1st place: WotLK

• Awesome content and spec design.

2nd place: MoP

• Good content and awesome spec design, theme a bit meh.

3rd place: BC

• Only fond memories because I started in this expac.

Honorable mention:
BFA, awesome amounts of worldPvP and managed to fix some issues that Legion did.

2 Likes

Best:

1. Original TBC
  2. Legion
  3. MoP (especially class design - best ever)

Worst:

1. BFA
  2. Cataclysm
  3. Shadowlands
1 Like

Best:

1. Legion
  2. The Burning Crusade
  3. Wrath of the Lich King

Worst:

1. Shadowlands (by bar)
  2. Warlords of Draenor
  3. Battle for Azeroth

But this might give a wrong impression. Imo the quality between the best and the second worst expansion is closer than the second worst to the worstl.

TOP3:

1. ​Mists (best class design, very appealing world with lots of mystery, cool raids and dungeons, no system grinds, perfect balance between old and modern wow)

2. WoD (this x-pac could’ve been SO GOOD, it had endless potential. Story was amazing, raids and dungeons was super good, classes still felt good. Garissons if done riggt could’ve been such a good feature. All the music, voice acting, etc. this was really good).

3. BFA (esp last patchwith corruptions, this had so much character customization if you weren’t going for bis build. So much variables gave a lot wacky build oportunities. I trully enjoyed Nyalotha patch and played it all without any breaks. I was sad for it to go, since I wanted to play even more wacky builds with tentacles and all.)

Worst3:

1. Legion. I just didin’t like it, AP grind was ok, but there could’ve been other solutions. My biggest hit was the big pruning, destroyed demo warlock spec and just borring in general. There is nothing I can remember legion for.

2. TBC - if it was only nostalgia - I would keep it in top3. But after replaying a bit of it in classic version - it’s just meh. Not my style anymore.

3. SL - I am having fun playing it, I really have. But… there is just something missing, also ally is dying and Blizz can’t do anything. Plus all these changes of women into fruits, etc.

2 Likes

Best:
3. Mop
2. Wrath

1. TBC

Worst:
3. Cataclysm
2. Legion

1. BfA

All based on how much I enjoyed them when they were current.

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion, but here goes. :slight_smile: Ready for the flame yo.

TOP 3 BEST (1 being the best):

1. WOTLK
  2. Legion
  3. MOP

TOP 3 WORST (1 being the worst)

1. TBC
  2. Classic
  3. WOD

Best cata, legion, wrath
Worst wod by far, sl

As for the best MOP > WOD > Cata.

As for the worst BFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SL > Legion.

1 Like

Easy:

• wrath
  • mop
  • legion

Worst:

• SL (by faaaar)
  • cata
  • draenor
1 Like

so in a nutshell for most

if you are a pvper

WoD was fine

If you are a pveer

wod was garbage

bfa and shadowlands are universally seen as complete and utter trash.

well I do agree with that.
Legion started the garbage but M+ kinda saved the expansion. Class design was terrible but class halls and special abilities, honor talents made up for it a little while also being terrible designed.

Best for me:

1. woltk
  2. cata
  3. legion

Worst:

1. Shadowlands
  2. bfa
  3. mop (just didn’t like the feel overall)
1 Like

Best:
TBC
WOTLK
MOP

Worst:
SL
BFA
WOD

I did not play legion, but heard it was great. I was having a kid back then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Best

1 TBC
2 MoP
3 Legion

Worst

1 WoD ( have to say the raids and PVP was good but that was it)
2 Cata
3 SL

4 Likes

Offtopc but really good to see you Red :kiss:

4 Likes

Ditto! Good to see you and a bunch of other friendly familiar ‘faces’ (if I may put it that way) that I enjoy seeing around here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, I quite disagree. As a PVE player the game had been putting more taxes on me ever since Legion, which WOD didn’t have had. Not to mention that 3 raids were good which I can’t say aboot BFA. I’d rather have 3 good raids than 2 good, 1 mediocre and 1 bad.

1 Like