Toxic players in pvp

i havent played classic for several months now so i cant attest to the current state, but private servers (i guess you mean lights hope here) were not as toxic.

Dont get me wrong, not all retail players are quote on quote “bad” or “toxic” or both but the private server clientele was something different. The servers were like a “familiy”, a great community. There were of course some blacksheeps but not like it is on classic wow.
Private server players knew exactly what they were looking for… A vanilla experience as they remember… or thought they remember…

It really saddens my heart what blizzard did to this game. They were too cheap to implement good servers…therefore we had to get layering, which is a community killer. We didnt have nearly enough servers in the beginning, which resulted in those “super” servers.
Blizzard does not give two s***s about their cash cow. They dont do anything to get rid of botters and boosters (yes, you heard me…boosters and the people who take them are one of the worst things in classic wow).
Also im going tinfoil here, but i dont believe the numbers for dungeons/raids are correct here… I can say that i have a reference client in my base ment…does not make it any less true though.
Private servers just guessed the right numbers i suppose, and they did a better job than blizzard with their alleged reference client.

The release of classic TBC will be as bad as this one, if not worse. Layering will be a must, the “faceroll” patches from the getgo, lags etc. and etc.

I went a bit off topic here so let me get back to it. Yes, the PUG community is not quite as toxic as the league of legends community (thank god) but it´s also not innocent.

Sorry for my mistakes, i am not a native english speaker and i got riled up just thinking about classic wow.

2 Likes

It always has been and it’s much much worse in other games like league

I agree. Almost all competitive multiplayer games are dominated by toxic players who puts efficiency over everything. This kills immersion since trying to fit into an imaginary world and not just focusing on the pure numbers behind it is considered a “noob” attitude. And if a game is not immersive then it is not fun. And if it is not fun then what’s the point playing it?

2 Likes

Is this the worst things that have happened to you?

Its cause on blizz`s classic, it is the “retail” community playing.

1 Like

Everrytime i see this i just tell em to eat a mick and piss off,simple.

If you enter AV as a low level alliance warrior you are dead weight to your team and rank grinding actively promotes toxic behavior to get the rewards, especially now that alliance premades are broken, welcome to min maxing culture in a old broken game.

The shallow conclusions in this thread is not even close to why. It’s actually because of this quote ^.

Thing is, social immersion is a thing as well. But because of the extreme anonymity, this is much less of a thing now than it was in Vanilla. Refail however is even worse in regards to this.

that thread goes a little more into why that is.

But simply put: anonymity online, i.e. no social repercussions for bad behavior and how you never really recognize enemies nor teammates, is why people’s minds naturally focus on more self-centric stuff.
We all know what anonymity online does to people. It’s even documented in studies. Well, the same thing goes for games, and that’s why vanilla had better realm communities.
People haven’t magically changed into different species since then. It’s what they’re exposed to that has changed, thus it elicits different reactions and behaviors.

This falls under the umbrella term called Social Design in game design.

The internet has fundamentally changes us, or rather allowed us to express ourselves in more self centric ways which many humans desire but cannot do in the real world without facing harsh repercussions. We are still in the early stages of integration with technology and it will be interesting to see how our social interactions will shape out once we get access to deeper connection between people, like using cybernetic implants to share experiences or transmit thoughts and feelings between people.

That’s the ignorant conclusion which is basically the same as the ones above. No, people haven’t changed on a fundamental level. We express ourselves the same, our patterns are the same, however the specifics have changed. But we aren’t somehow magically different than in the past.

It’s what we’re exposed to that has changed, which elicits different reactions and behaviors.

Just check out the other thread before you write anything else, please.

https://www.projecthorseshoe.com/reports/featured/ph18r8.htm
read that report as well.

were you born after 2k?
grow a pair dude lol

people love my rank 14 unenchanted gear

I agree about the social design part. Refail is about playing in a crowd and vanilla was about playing in a community. That’s why cross-server battlegroups in TBC and cross-server instances in WotLK destroyed WoW.

However you can not deny that the overall attitude of gaming changed over the years. There were no streamers and influencers at vanilla times, community was not carped bombed with “10 most efficient gold farming tricks in classic” or “how to level up to 60 in 7 days in classic” videos.
I mean even a simple platformer console game became an online race about who can speedrun through the content with maximum efficiency using shortcuts to skip the “inefficient” story elements.
That’s why I said that there is a trend that hypes efficiency and this attitude creates frustration in min-maxers when they find someone who are not cooperating in the most efficient way but tries to enjoy the game in his own way.

I wasn’t even talking about that. This is about how people socialize, and how that affects the way we think.

That’s why that part matters. The other thread and the report linked to earlier provides a lot more details to explain it better.

But ok, to explain it in this post just a bit for the sake of convenience, it’s because you’re more focused on yourself that you care more about what benefits you more.
And it’s the social design that affects how you behave. In other words, it’s the underlying reason why you’re more focused on yourself. Because there’s no proper social immersion that’d otherwise be there, if the social design would’ve been done better.
Which is what vanilla did better. The social design was more wholesome, which in turn affected the way people played the game en masse.

Think of it more like people are more withdrawn in anonymous settings, which in turn makes you more self-centric, because the social immersion isn’t the same. And it’s the social design that affects it the most.

By the way, what you’re talking about is called the “trickle-down effect”. Which is much more prevalent now, yes. But it doesn’t change the fundamental way people socialize. That’s more up to the social design.
For example, it’s about tolerance.

That example, that specific example, is not because of the “way people play games now”. It’s not because of the trickle-down effect either. It’s because we tolerate much less of strangers. So it’s up to the social design to help the bonding process, which in turn helps increase tolerance levels. We also inhibit our anger more when we’re more socially aware, than when we’re anonymous. Which is why that social immersion affects us on that fundamental level.

A simple example of that is stuff like twitter, or 4chan, and so on. Compare that to the way people behave in close social settings, like with best friends for example. We inhibit what we think of as “bad social behavior” and have increased tolerance levels, when we’re more socially aware.

So, following your example, let’s say you’re one of those who “becomes frustrated when you find someone who’s not cooperating in the most efficient way”, you’d still be more willing to help the other person reach your level, if you’d be closer socially to that person. But when it’s a stranger, you’re more inclined to only think of yourself instead, and when the game basically conditions you to not remember most people you get teamed up with & against in BGs, you naturally think much more about yourself and what benefits you instead. On an unconscious level, that’s how you’re made to think.

Anonymity also increases apathy, so you basically also get the “who cares?”-army of trolls as a consequence. People are made to care more when they’re more socially immersed.

These are all the fundamentals of why Vanilla had all those epic stories, while Classic is what it is now. It’s not because of the people. It’s because of the way it has been designed.

That was a really good read thanks. That explains why the classic experience felt so hollow compared to vanilla, I never put 2 and 2 together to conclude that social structures don’t operate differently in gaming world than they do in the real world.

1 Like

I want to express my concern over people who think they can join BGs in greens and on a 60% mount and think they deserve not to be yelled at.

2 Likes

Number 3 seems like toxic behaviour, but from my experience is very uncommon and most aren’t stupid enough to do it.

Number 1 is slightly toxic, but most of those who are complaining about pre-60s in AV have done it themselves. Going into AV on a levelling 51+ Mage/Hunter/Warrior is Standard Issue. And they are probably contributing more to the BG than the bots.

The other 3 are legit points. If you are playing WSG/AB on a 60% mount, you cannot defend objectives effectively. If you are wearing green gear that came free in a cereal packet, a healer can kill you from 100% to 0. If you are playing Fury in PvP, you deal no damage and are laughed out of the BG.

Nobody wants to play with deadweight. But the real question is, do you yourself enjoy playing as a deadweight? Effort must be made, or you are going to create a bad experience for everyone.

2 Likes

Of course you can do what you want but people will not appreciate it when they have to carry some useless players or even lose the BG.
If you are wearing greens and don’t have a fast mount then you are not really helping your faction to win matches. If it’s really a wonder to you why people are that toxic towards you then it’s probably time for a reality check.

I think bad manners in pvp/world pvp are pretty common nowadays and i am wondering why. Almost every time i get killed, enemy players start tea-bagging. Why? They probably think it’s cool but in my eyes it’s super cringy.
People run away from 1v1 until their friends are coming and then when i bubble-hearth away from a 1vs3 they even /lol.

Oh wow toxicity in classic that’s new… Another news: water is wet.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.