[Troll RP] Shadow of the Empires - 8 years of troll RP! - back in Zul'Gurub

Do you active wander around Stranglethorn as some kind of Troll Headhunters , looking for heads?
What happens if I play an adventurer or some non-troll who foolishly explores Zul’gurub?
Has this ever happened, that some people waltz in there on your business?

1 Like

Now that I am curious of myself.

1 Like

Daily, actually! Zul’Gurub/Stranglethorn is a popular location to visit for many guilds and roleplay groups.

We are IC hostile towards anyone who isn’t a troll, and most of our characters are traditional in their views and customs: appeasing the Loa or fuelling a witchdoctor’s rituals through blood and sacrifice is definitely one of the core aspects.

Still, that doesn’t mean we jump on every roleplayer that comes around, for a good few reasons: first of all cause they are so many visitors we’d never get around to any campaigns, plots or other RP but reacting on and trying to chase off/sacrifice non-trolls. Thankfully that isn’t needed.

As opposed to cities like Orgrimmar, people don’t come to Stranglethorn for casual walk-up RP, but often visit with planned plots, events and storylines in mind. Those can clash – over the years we had guilds who saw Zul’Gurub as a base for the Burning Legion, guilds who played out Zul’Gurub as wiped away by volcanoes, Zul’Gurub as Alliance training grounds and so on, or guilds who just want their event or roleplay done without dealing with unforseen problems in the form of hostile trolls - and it’s not our place to tell them they ‘can’t do that, because we don’t see it that way’. In that case we often happily agree to let each other play out our own version of the place, or offer ourselves acting as NPCs for a night or two if that boosts the narrative.

In short, we tend to give people a friendly OOC whisper before engaging instead of running after every non-troll, and see where that leads us – most important for us is that both parties have an enjoyable RP experience!

5 Likes

As it should be! Question, do you have any recommendations for a tribe for someone who is new to troll RP?

1 Like

Well, that might be a tough one. I would probably recommend a standard Gurubashi from Zul’gurub, or a Darkspear, but you’d need to know their history from WC3.
The other tribes have their own Loa and history that should be reflected in their characters, (falling of all the other tribes, for example.)

2 Likes

I’m going to give a very cliché answer but one I honestly believe in –

Roll whatever sparks your interest/enthusiasm the most. Spending just that little bit more time questing, reading up or asking for help for a concept is more than worth it if it’s something you’re interested in or passionate about. Sometimes it helps thinking about a certain Loa or class you find intriguing and building a character around that, and then choose the tribe most fitting.

One really really doesn’t have to know all the ins- and outs of a race or be a lore-expert before trying their hand at roleplay, and you will find many people who will gladly help you out along the way. Feel free to give us a poke whenever you’d like some brainstorming on a concept, or join the Wardrums Discord ([Troll RP] Wardrums - Troll Community Discord 💬 ) where you will find many more troll enthusiasts more than willing to help you flesh out a character!

The only tribes I (personally!) do not recommend as a main character, especially when you’re new to troll roleplay, are Blood Trolls, half-breeds or more or less extinct trolls such as Dark Trolls. Blood Trolls are antagonistic, even for most non-horde trolls the server, so you will find little opportunity to be anything else than a villain and there’s (as far as I know, correct me if I’m wrong!) currently no community / a lot of RP opportunities for them, so you will limit yourself a lot. Dark trolls are, since BfA, mentioned to be extremely rare if not extinct, and it doesn’t hurt to be a little careful when throwing such concepts into roleplay, if only to keep the immersion of other players in mind.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the reply! How do I get in touch with you guys? I have a few questions on some concepts :smiley:

2 Likes

Feel free to poke our officers (Azuak, Dahti, Zelujin) whenever we’re online - we’d be happy to chat with you! You can also visit our website linked above for more information.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

3 Likes

Thanks! I will try and be there tonight!

That website of yours is amazing by the way! And I thought my troll hype could not get any higher! Who did the art of all the Loa?

2 Likes

Thank you so much! And most of the Loa portraits were done by http://omoshiro-i.tumblr.com/ - however parts of the Shadow Hunter and Zandalari Loa were done by our guildmate Baklajan www.htg17.tumblr.com . We’re very pleased with how they turned out - both artists are truly amazing and a pleasure to work with. Can’t recommend them enough!

2 Likes

I had a real good talk with one of your officers tonight! I want to thank you for the time you took for all my questions, it was really nice and I have so many ideas now :D. Very cool people!

2 Likes

Heard good old Halazzi is getting some attention here. Expect an Amani your way soon.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear - ideas were utterly lovely!

True! We had a small influx of Amani roleplayers lately too – which is all the more awesome and gives us some opportunity to put the tribe more in the spotlight, especially as we used to have relatively few for a good years: the majority of our lot is jungle troll. Looking forward to meet your Amani!

1 Like

Everyone has to join for the sole purpose of forcing Zelu’jin to cook steak.

:clap: MORE :clap: STEAK :clap: NIGHTS :clap:

3 Likes

Is it ok if I come by for some RP before I send an application?

1 Like

Griiiiimace! Thanks for the comment, it’s always a blast having your trolls around. I aim to kick off our Shirvallah plot s o o n.

That’s fine! Today and tomorrow there should be casual RP, Sunday we have an event at 8 servertime.

1 Like

‘troll roleplay’ and not the objectively superior ‘trollplay’

Such a waste…

1 Like

Quick question, I apologize for all the comments! Does my troll need to bring a mount, like a raptor?

1 Like

Nope! Definitely not! Our pens are filled with raptors that can be used occasionally by anyone wishing to travel outside the city.

Troll roleplay IS the superior roleplay.

1 Like

Ask as many as you like! :smiley:

And that is really up to you! Trolls and raptors are so connected you can of course bring your own if that suits your character or story. If your trolls doesn’t own one or you prefer some roleplay obtaining one, you can for example choose to raise one of the hatchlings or bond with one from the pens - our tamers gladly help you out. And, like Xenunjin pointed out, borrowing one from the pens whenever you need one is of course an option too!

2 Likes