Trying to get started as a Panda

As a Panda i get the Crane chick as a starter pet. I’m trying to complete the starter quest “Julia, the Pet Tamer”. Her snake with the trait “attacks first” gets me everytime though. What can I do to complete the quest ?

This question made me happy. It’s always nice to see someone starting! I hope you have fun with pets. :smiley:

Julia has level 2 pets. I see your pet is still level 1. Probably the best answer is for you to battle some wild level 1 pets first, because your pet will quickly hit level 2 from winning wild battles, and open up a second slot so you can add another pet to your team. I suggest you do some wild battles until you hit level 3. Then you will find Julia much easier.

You should watch this excellent video from Hazel, which packs A LOT of information about beginning pet battles into 15 minutes - more than you will absorb in one watching, but it will give you some ideas.

If you want, I can give you some more pets for your starting days. Let me know. And please post again if you have any more questions, or still have a problem with Julia.

1 Like

Yep, just enabling track pets on the minimap (!) and doing some battles against rabbits etc. to level my starter pets did the trick.

Thanks for the help and the video, for now I’m all set and looking to level my pets some more and get some new ones.

1 Like

Flying pets are resistant to (Beast attacks) and what their abilities are strong against (Aquatic pets).

So I suggest doing some pet battles against level 1 pets whose main attack is Beast damage, cuz they will probably resist a lot of the damage the enemy pet will deal, or seek out pets that are Aquatic (frogs turtles etc) because chick’s flying attack will kill the Aquatic pet faster.

And another thing, keep an eye out for pets that have a blue frame around their portrait, those are rare quality pets and you’ll want to capture some of those to make a budding team of tiny pets to level.

I suggest taking advantage of this week’s event and level yourself a solid team of battle pets. Once you have enough variety, get some mechanical pets (resistant to magic spells) and prioritize acquiring a Nether Faerie Dragon. This little guy is a Dragon Pet with magic abilities found in Feralas zone (Kalimdor) and one of the best pets to pit against Flying pets. I have a hefty collection of Flying pets thanks to it.

1 Like

Also a few pets I suggest getting aside from the ones you saw in Hazel’s video (I see you have the Anklebiter, Ikky, Grumpy and Stormborn Whelpling):

• Nether Faerie Dragon (mentioned above)
  • Lil’ Bling (great vs Beasts)
  • Cogblade Raptor (wild pet from Blade’s Edge Mountain - Outlands)
  • Ironbound Protodrake (resilient little dragon also SUPER cute)
  • Mirror Strider (Aquatic wild pet - Pandaria - Great against elementals)
  • Fel Flame or Phoenix Hatchling (great against mechanical)
  • Unborn Valkyr (super rare wild pet, if you find one capture it because it’s part of a team that is able to completely demolish most trainers - along with Ikky and Zandalari Anklebiter)
    That’s kinna it off the top of my head.

Say would you like a few pets? I collect pets to sell and some of them I just find a hard time selling :confused:

1 Like

Yea, I did take advantage of the event. Got me a bunch of pets including two mechanical ones ( Lil’Bling - this guy sometimes beats the entire enemy team on his own and is hilarious on top, plus the engineering scorpion thingy ). I have two dragons ( Phoenix Hatchling and Stormborne Whelpling ), the Anklerender, Grumpy and Ikky ( Flying ).

They’re all lvl 10+.

I noticed I’m still missing a magical pet, but other than that, I should have a decent starting party now.

Tbh I’m mostly interested in the red panda pet ( yea, long way to go ) and not so much in collections. Also, I just returned to the game after having played last from Beta to the Burning Crusade and of course couldnt remember anything about the old account details, so I’m kinda short on cash and can’t even afford the riding skill, at what is it, 4000g ? ( though that issue should be solved soon enough ).

Here’s hoping you’ll find some more suited customers :slight_smile: :grinning:

And thanks for mentioning Lil’Bling, love this little guy.

@all super helpful people here: Thank you !

The Phoenix is an elemental, not a dragon. It’s great against mechanical and also resistant to their mecanical attacks.

As for Magical pets we really don’t have a lot of outstanding Magical Pets, because there are Dragons who have Magic abilites who are way better.

But I do suggest getting 1 magic pet. Go for the Lofty Libram (I call mine Kindle), it’s a pretty easy to get wild pet, forgot where it’s from, but it’s basic and decent Magic Pet.

I also suggest a few addons for you if you don’t mind:

• Rematch - lets you save a pet team for a specific NPC (helpful for storing teams for pet battle dailies and World Quests)
  • Pet Tracker does a few things
  1. Shows you on the world map all the Wild Pets you can collect in a specific zone (Hazel has a guide on how this addon feature works)
  2. Creates pet cards when you mouse over your pet collection
  3. Adds more filters to your collection (like tracking pets added in a certain expansion)
  4. Shows enemy pet moves and their timers, very handy for planning you next moves
  • Cancel Pet Battle - Lightweight addon that scanns the team of a wild pet and gives you the option to cancel by pressing ESC if it doesn’t find any rare. That is for situations when your just searching for rares.

It once was rare. Now it is very very common. I’d guarantee to find one with 10 minutes of getting to Grizzly Hills. There are three spawn points there, and there is always one of the three up. Also Icecrown et. al. but Grizzly Hills is the fastest.

Bruslih, I don’t want to drop too much on you too early, because the best time you will even have with pets is when you are new, and just wandering and collecting, but I will add two pieces of advice to what Sunbursts said:

1. Bookmark warcraftpets.com and wow-petguide.com. They aren’t necessary at the level you are at now, but they will become indespensible later. See for example the list of most used pets in strategies: https://www.wow-petguide.com/Guide/58/Most_Used_Pets
  2. If you are getting addons - and I agree that Rematch and Pet Tracker are must-haves - also pick up the addon Battle Pet Breed ID, which will show the breeds you are viewing in the AH and capturing. This doesn’tmean a lot to you now, but will become important later.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.