Turkish letters are crashing the Mac client for WoW Classic

Hello,

Turkish player here. I want to report that using the Turkish letters such as “ş” and “ı” are crashing the client on my Macbook Pro 2017 for WoW Classic. (macOS Mojave - version 10.14.5)

This does not always happen; but I can say that it happens around 60-70% of the times I use these characters. I also do not need to be using the chat function for this issue to occur; accidentally pressing the key while playing the game can also crash the client.

Hoping for a fix soon as this is really annoying.

1 Like

You might want to consider changing the in-game fonts. I don’t know how it’s done in mac-os, but in windows, you go in the wow directory, you create a Fonts folder under “retail” folder.
Then you put 4 copies of Turkish supported *.ttf font files there. And name them this way:

ARIALN.ttf
FRIZQT__.ttf
MORPHEUS.ttf
skurri.ttf

You can put whichever style you like. They all can be the same font, or you can try different fonts. Choice is up to you. Try, maybe this solves your issue.

Hi,
I have same problem too, I have 27 inc MacBook, iMac Air and 24 inc Levono. My problem started 3 or 4 weeks ago or more but after release macOS Mojave. at firsts, this problem occurs at my Macs but now both Mac and Windows.

During this time, what did I try?

I changed keyboard, iMac and try external keyboard with MacBook, nothing changed, still crash after using “ş” letter.

I deleted “cache”, “WTF” and “Interface” folders from Retail, and try but nothing changed.
I tried to use “Scan and Repair” at all my computers, but nothing changed.
I uninstalled and installed fresh WoW again at my iMac and Lenovo computers, but nothing changed. (tried without any addons
I formatted all my computers and installed fresh WoW and try without any addons, but nothing changed.
I contacted GM via ticket, but they can’t solve.
I submitted bug last week, but I’m not sure when they’ll replay me.

But how can I get ride of this problem, (not completely solve) when I change language to English from Turkish. I can play without crashes but at this time, I can’t find and use most of symbols because theirs places change via changing keyboard setting.

I try to create Fonts folder in Retail folder but nothing change, still crashed after using “ş” letter

report ID: C1484FDF-66C4-45BB-8EEC-AA7FA916B3F1

Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing crashes while playing wow recently. Given the specifics of the issue, you should be able to work around this by swapping your keyboard language to English while you are playing.

Ok but why?

It gives the Developers time to investigate the issue and in the meanwhile, the game is playable.

The crash reports will have flagged the issue initially with the Dev & QA teams but can I get you to also submit a bug report ingame if you get a chance. Helps a lot with impact tracking for issues like this. Not everyone is vocal about this type of thing.

I opened tickets several times, submitted bug several times but during November nothing changed.

I’ve been experiencing the same issue since WoD on macOS. I’ve already submitted ticket about the issue but had no reply. Still, whenever I press “Ş”, it quits the game immediately and pops up an error message.

They don’t, never have, and never will reply to bug reports. If they did, they would have to hire a staff of 2000 just to write generic replies to every bug report they get in a typical day.

No reply doesn’t mean ignored tho. They assure us that everyone is read by a human.

I have the same issue, constantly crashing retail and classic, dont even have to type on chat, can just accidentally push the button and crash

I have the same issue, if I press on my Turkish keyboard “ş” or “Ş” button. WOW App goign crashed.

Im using MacBook Pro 13" 2012 Late, On Installed OS Version Is Mojava. Version No: 10.15.4 (19E287)

it still continues in December 2020.Not only classic, retail too…Annoying

it still continues in April 2022. Annoying

1 Like

Same here, still no fix for the crash caused by the letter “ş”…even MTG Arena fixed this on the second day of the issue.

Same issue on all wow versions (classic, dragonflight beta, retail)

Using a croatian keyboard, in chat i can normally use my special characters (š, č, ć), but without chat the game immediately crashes

been happening since i installed WoW on Mac (2018)

there is an older thread with some history of the issue:

I’m having the same problem. It is so annoying to see that they didn’t fix it for couple years.

Also happens to me on Hungarian keyboard when I press the letter ű. Playing from M3 pro MBP. Season of Discovery in 2024

Same problem! Hungarian layout, game crashes when pressing “ű”. Happens on my M3 pro MBP and happened on my M2 Air aswell.