Unable to start Wow 'Your 3d accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft'

Hi, I tried getting into WoW on my laptop. I can start the launcher ok and it did an update when I loggged in this morning (I don’t often use my laptop for Wow), but after I hit the play button I got an error message ‘Your 3d accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft’. My video card is an NVIDIA GTX 860M 2GB PCIe and it looks like it should satisfy the minimum requirements specified at https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/31372. The drivers are up to date - is there anything else I should check? Cheers for your help!

Hey Ultroft,

Can you double check that World of Warcraft is using your dedicated graphics card? Check your power management settings as well, make sure that is set to High performance.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me - please could you let me know how I check which graphics card I’m using from the Blizzard launcher - I can’t do it in game at the moment!

Setting the power management setings to High performance does that in part already. In addition to that, please try the following:

1. Right click on the desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click on Manage 3D Settings on the left
  3. Go to the Program Settings Tab
  4. Browse and select the Blizzard game.
    If there is a drop-down menu called Select Preferred Graphics Processor, choose High Performance Nvidia Processor. This drop-down may not always be present
  5. Click Add and close the Control Panel

2 Likes

Thanks, I was already in high performance mode. However, I can’t access the NVIDIA control panel - I get the error message ‘you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu’ - I guess I’ll have to go to NVIDIA to sort this.

1 Like

Before that, please try and re-install the latest drivers once more. First use a Display Driver Uninstaller to fully remove the current/old drivers. This will ensure that the new drivers do not use any outdated files or settings. Install the latest drivers afterwards and see if that helped out.

1 Like

Thanks, this worked perfectly!

Happy to hear that! :slight_smile: