Unplayable: WOW leaks memory (Macbook Pro M1 ARM - MacOS Ventura)

The MacBook Pro (M1 ARM) goes into a freeze after ca 5 minutes of playing WOW 10.0.0.46313. WOW then uses over 2.6 GB of memory, and the machine is completely responsless and must be hard reset.

Anyone else experiencing this? I hope it will be fixed shortly, the game is now unplayable

2,6 Gb is a rookie number, I have m1 max with 64 Gb and mac hangs itself after 1.5 min of usage.
I have already sent ticket about that, but to let you know, I had 172 Gb of RAM usage once and had to hard reset macbook.
Game is indeed unplayable for Mac users atm.

You are right, it was 266GB

1 Like

i think it might be a problem of your version of system, but i am not sure
anyway, i cannot even open the game now, my version is 10.13.6
and i can recall reading the information that i would have to update my system before wow will be 10.0.0.46313…
so yeah, the question is what version of iOS system do u have

Updated prior to launching wow Version 13.0 (22A380) MacOS Ventura

Problem was with unlimited framerate option, it seems to fix an issue, one has to set framerate cap to something meaningful.

Do you have a link to more information?

Hi,

This morning after patching, I logged into my character and checked out the UI. Went to Firelands to get disappointed by no-mount drops again and as I engaged the fire bird boss, the game crashed with an error about “memory cannot be written”. Since then, I can start the game and get to the character selection. Every single character I try to log on to makes the game crash at the end of the loading bar without any errors.

Things I have tried:

Repair game files (oops, something broke, try again)
Reinstall WoW
Update Windows
Update drivers
Restart PC (several times)

Same problem here. I think it has to do with the changes blizzard made to the caching back-end implemented with Shadowlands and changed in Dragonflight. Here is a potential solution.

How is this even possible, the game have been developed for a long time, and Blizzard screws it up on a pre-patch? Would expect a fix ASAP for such game in production.

MacBook Pro M1 2020 8gb, OS Ventura 13.0
Same problem, after todays (28/10) update to 10.0.0.46340 it’s even worse.

yesterday I added GxAllowCachelessShaderMode 0 to config.wtf and I could play all evening, the ram usage was steady on 4.8gb ram

Today i monitored the event:

battle net agent open = 200mb ram
battle net helper 1 = 180mb ram
battle net helper 2 = 140mb ram

Launch WoW:

login screen (character selection) = 2.4gb ram (and steady even after 5 mins)
start game (enter world) = 4.8gb ram → ramping up every 3 sec to 48gb+ ram

OS freezes after 30 seconds and shuts down, showing there is not enough RAM for apps

Edit:
Turned off Stage Manager
Added SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” again to Config.wtf

success!
during world play RAM is steady on 5gb

Turned Stage Manger on again = no effect, WoW stays on 5gb
So SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” would be the solution at this point

Edit 2:

WoW crashed again after 30mins with 60gb Ram used

what I was doing: sitting in a corner in Orbits, playing with frame rates and render resolutions

turned down resolution to minimum (around 30%)
turned down vertical sync to increase the FPS as high as possible
waited a few minutes
turned resolution up to 50%
waited a few minutes
BAM, WoW broke
Checked the config.wtf file:
the command I added is gone…
at what point did WoW remove the command, it was saved before WoW launch
did it remove it when reset the config file upon crashing?
or did it reset when I played with vertical sync or resolution changes?

Edit 3:

what the hell is wrong here
I added SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” again to config file, saved and closed
opened WoW
I opened the config file again and the command is gone
is that normal?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.