Unpopular opinion: I like the Covenant System Idea

So yes, as the title says. I like the Covenant System. It’s new, it’s exciting, and I feel like it DOES give you a choice. Different Soulbinds, Conduits and Abilities.

Now, is there a “best one”? Ofcourse there are. But honestly, in what system isn’t there a best one?

Is there a best class? Yes.
Is there a best spec? Yes.
Is there best talents to set? Yes.

Does this mean everyone is playing the best class, with the best spec and the best talents? No. Why? Because it’s not ONLY all about " the best". It’s about the class, spec and talents as a whole. Does it feel fun to play?

Ofcourse there is people that is gonna min-max and do whatever they can to be the best (by choosing the best covenant), and that’s totally fine, that’s up to them. There’s always gonna be a “best” and to ask Blizzard to change or remove the Covenant system just because they think it will ruin the game is stupid in my opinion.

People are in my opinion overreacting at how Covenant Abilities is gonna work. It’s not like if you don’t take a certain Covenant, that you will be disqualified from all activites and do like 1000% less DPS. No no, it believe it will be a small difference.

TL;DR: I like the Covenant System. There’s a best, sure, but that doesn’t mean best equals fun.

11 Likes

Well actually, yes.
I’d love to play MM, for instance, but I don’t. BM is better.

6 Likes

The minority, sure, but FAR from the majority. Your opinion is fair, but that doesn’t mean everyone should do the same or they’re stupid. It’s not all about doing the biggest damage or you’re cut from everything.

I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion though.

Also, it has been discussed to death but imo the tl;dr of my opinon is this

Without covenants we only got 1 choice we are force hammed into, with covenants we have 4 and we can choose which one we like and which one we don’t.

1 Like

What makes you think it will be a “small difference”? I mean, if they consistently missed the mark by a fair amount in the past, what makes you believe they won’t miss it this time with Covenants?

3 Likes

An example is to look at Racials. Sure, it’s not an exact 1 to 1 comparison, but they’re ALL a choice you make and that you CAN’T change (unless you invest time or money)

Racials are fairly balanced, sure some are better than others, but no one is going bananas over that? Again, not a 1 to 1 comparison but I think it’s better to think of them as that.

I didn’t like covenants, but I’ll wait how they will turn out. I just hope none of them will be game-changer. I’m looking mostly at arenas.

Racials are not a new system by any means though: it actually took a long time for them to get more or less balanced.

While they were not balanced, Horde had superior racials for raiding which led to the current massive inbalance ratio for high-level raiding progress, still continuing today due to inertia.

So Racials are not really a good example of Blizzard nailing the balance: they are actually another cautionary tale for those believing they will.

3 Likes

Never said it was totally balanced, I said fairly. I even stated that some are betters than others, and THAT part is my point about Covenant Abilities.

At the moment the controversial discussions are not really even about the class abilities themselves, but the Covenant Signature abilities… the one you get if you pick a covenant regardless of your class and spec.

Basically there are 2 that give speed increase, third a big absorb shield and the fourth a teleport. Most people argue that the teleport is the most powerful out of these options especially in mythic plus where you wouldn’t just have a bigger advantage but imagine if people would only invite others if they also have the teleport covenant ability because they can skip certain packs easier than people who don’t have it at all. Then there is also the argument about how extra movement speed is superior to a big absorb shield in most scenarios and overall it falls behind all abilities.

please tell me which is best class and spec so i can play them

1 Like

Depends on the activity you’re do. BIG absorb shield is 100% superior for Arena.

I get everyones concern about “Teleport better than Absorb hue hue, blizz fix, you bad indie company”, but you need to think about it again as a CHOICE. You TAKE that choice. If you take Absorb, you might end up laughing at those tho died because they took movement speed or a teleport.

In some scenarios Teleport is good. In some it’s not.
In some scenarios Speed is good. In some it’s useless.
In most scenarios Absorb is good, altho it last utility of Speed/Telport (But that’s the trade off).

I would say they are pretty well balanced IMO.

Demon Hunter - Havoc

Well what is the point of mythic raiding and ranking up on arena if it is not to take best out ones class as well self as player?

As stated, there are SOME people who goes all in and takes the best of everything, and that’s fine, but that is the MINORITY. The majority is far from min-maxing everything.

I feel like everyone is laughing when people say they play for fun. Yes, I know, playing a game for fun? No way right?

Yes, it’s a thing. Not everything is about being the best :smiley:

I think you are missing the point: racials might be fairly balanced today, many, many years after their inception and after going through many iterations. They were not fairly balanced when they were a new system, as the current high-end raiding distribution still proves.

Covenants will not be a old system which went through years of refinement leading to a fairly balanced result: they will be a brand new system.

If we take Blizzard’s track record, what makes you think it will not be quite badly balanced at first and that it will not take quite a number of changes for it to eventually reach a state of being fairly balanced?

Actually it is not minority that engages any sort of party and group content. And it is disrespectful towards other players for not giving ones best. Yes it is only 5% players that ever enter mythic raiding or so, but years back when I did deeper analysis then it was close to 30% of playerbase that entered any form of raid, not to mention dungeons.
For you maybe ok to perform suboptimal and it is your right, but do not expect others play same way.

We get to that peer pressure with covenants. if you don’t do party content - good for you. Be you! But some others queue to that dungeon.

I don’t know, and I’m not saying it won’t be balanced. It most likely will never be. Nothing in the game or any game for that matter is ever balanced. There’s no way to fix that.

I think they’ll get close. Again, there is gonna be a best one, but so what? Choose it if you want to be the best, but don’t if you want to actually have a choice instead of being forced.

I agree with you to some extent, this wasn’t my opinion btw this what I’m reading/hearing from theorycrafters in the past couple of days. I personally don’t want to form an opinion on something that I haven’t played or even seen yet. I’m just worried about how the community will handle some of these abilities… I’m afraid of cases like I mentioned above that if you are Covenant A but the group leader only invites people with Covenant B that would suck a lot.

I never disrespected you the 5%. I clearly said that you people go all in and takes the best of everything, AND THATS FINE (I clearly stated).

I’m just saying the majority is not min maxing, and THATS Fine too.

You should feel free to take the best, and I should feel free to take what I feel is the most fun to play.

2 Likes