Unpopular Opinions

So this whole thing can be summed up in a simple way.

NPC face says : ERP BAD!

1 Like

You can replace NPC Face with the Game Masters and you’re pretty spot on.

3 Likes

Again it’s not the ERP that breaks the rule, it’s the language used.

One could do ERP in entirely PG language and would not break that rule.

1 Like

Its no way better than an original burger, but it is very decent, and for a good price (at least here). A very based way to eat pasta with a beef patty tbh

I am seeing a concerning amount of ERP defense in this thread.

7 Likes

At this point I guess it’s wiser to just fold the argument.
No point arguing with people who don’t want to hear your arguments, no matter whose side the facts are on I guess.

You’re misunderstanding here I think.

More people wanting the rules to not be vague as hell about stuff.

Because there is no rule against ERP.

There is a rule against language that would be used in ERP.

Edit:

There was a rule once just about ERP, well sexual language. That has gone.

Why who knows?

Probably lazyness with Blizzard just wanting one set of rules for all its games.

Well, then I misunderstood you. What did you say about these issues?

I wrote them pretty clearly - I am confused where the misunderstanding arose. I said I may well have written emotes [in this context, about violent actions] that others may consider in breach of the CoC. I try not to, but a vague Code like we have (and I believe is relatively fit for purpose) entails that others may disagree. I ‘would allow activity that might be breaching the CoC’ in that I accept that ‘might be breaching the CoC’ is an extremely broad statement that encompasses nearly every emote that steps even slightly over the ‘E for Everyone’ line - including some things we might consider banal, like yelling in pain when your character is hit by an arrow.

Emotes describing violence can involve implicit or explicit descriptions, the former of which is normally fine and the latter is normally problematic. To note the difference, see the idea of decapitating a character (which is done a hundred times in WoW questing in order to gather their head for a quest) and describing in detail how the sinews snap as you hack through them (which is never done).

ERP on the other hand is, by definition, roleplay done for erotic purposes. It is nearly (if not actually) impossible to do this without explicitly mentioning sexual content, which is against the CoC. Merely implying sex happened (for example, leading a partner into a tent and then ‘fading to black’) is not ERP - it’s roleplay that implies some sexual content. As I previously mentioned, the latter isn’t my cup of tea but is, for the most part, perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Sure, it would be cool to get an explicit rule, but I feel the current clause about obscenity fits the bill. It covers other things at the same time (such as excessive gore which is not ok either) which is okay.

If two characters are cuddling a bit, whatever, you won’t give kids mental scars with that! I think the actual ERP that causes all the drama is already covered.

1 Like

We’re more or less on the same page. Since I’ve never supported breaching the CoC by the use of vulgar language, under which sexually explicit language belongs.

In that case, you need to be more careful with your terminology. If you agree with me, you are against ERP - unless you are using a definition of the term which doesn’t fit how it is used.

1 Like

Thing is you could have a long series of emotes about one character gasping and groaning, while another character polishes a pickle.

As long as you never use certain words it doesn’t break the CoS, even if said pickle belongs to a male orc.

I think that’s a needless comment, and I can’t really see a way of responding to it without reviving the whole damn argument or folding to it.

If someone gets together and manages to roleplay a session of erotic intimacy in a way that involves no sexually explicit language (which I’d imagine is possible, as Zanmarea has also argued), then I do count that as ERP and that doesn’t breach the CoC.

All rules have to be interpreted. IRL laws too. It’s why we have judges. In this case, the judges are the GMs.

It’s not practically feasible to write rules that can cover all situations.

If you’re scared that what you are doing might be interpreted as ERP and reported, I don’t think the problem lies with the rules.

1 Like

Yeah but people can lie too. Or pretend that wasn’t the case. The GM’s are humans… Faulty and guilable creatures.

There are any GM’s less?

Pretty sure auto-CM and auto-GM doesn’t read context at all.

But hey if we all make sure that our words and emotes can never possibly be taken the wrong way, or twisted to be ‘offensive’ we need never fear breaking such a vague rule.

But sexual implications aren’t against the CoC. Unless I’m mistaken, in which case I’m very -very- happy at this point to be proven wrong

They were, but they aren’t anymore.

So as long as you word your erotic role play like a cooking show, you are less likely to break the rules than someone doing interrogation role play.

Uh. Did I somehow just edit a post instead of making a new one?

Forums are weird.

Can we make the edit window and new post window look more different please, blizzard?

1 Like