Unpopular Opinions

But rp is basically game of pretending and imagination. I don’t get Tubri’s point, that it’s good to pretend this, but if you pretend that you’re weird.

But it honestly isn’t. You spent, like, 4 paragraphs describing your experience with enlightenment and elitism, and none is the wiser for it. Who are these people that did these creep-stalk things? Why did they do them?

I personally believe in a better environment that is generated through mature behaviour. If someone finds another person’s behaviour disagreeable, you’ve the right to speak against it—as I did against Vorathel in this scandal from last year that you pointed out. Blizzard Code of Conduct demands that we retain a degree of politeness, it doesn’t take away your freedom of speech.

I don’t encourage anyone to break Blizzard’s forum law. I do encourage people to create a better environment by forgoing pretence and actually engaging the issue. As Perroy last said, vagueposts use people’s imagination, not facts.

And lastly, you don’t seem like it. Every time something BElf-ish is pointed out, you tend to bring how another #MeToo forum movement is oh-so-needed. That doesn’t much carry the smell of someone who has moved on.

6 Likes

This has got to be a bait thing. It’s just got to be. In the event it isn’t though…

You’re crazy.

So what if you’re not a male or a female? What if you’re without genitals? What if you’re some form of neutrally gendered extraterrestrial? Would you even be allowed to play then?

Oh yes because ladies never gawk over dudes. That’s a myth.

Eh. I agree with this but then again I’m regarded as filthy elitist scum, SO.

Going back to the original point, George R.R. Martin should probably be shot dead from writing up chapters from the perspective of female characters. Tbh after reading the first game of thrones book, I was shocked, after reading Catelyn Stark’s chapter that it turns out she was conceptualised and written by a man.

Now. I have a tendency to think that people who lie about their genders are a bit of a peeve, but I have no problem with people role-playing a character that’s their opposite gender.

If we go back to the realm of theatre where role-playing primarily began, most female roles were played by men.

I suppose if I want to role-play as a eunuch I should go and remove my genitals, otherwise I’ll be seen as a freak.

While we’re on the topic of gender and sexuality in role-play, which is always unnerving on these forums for whatever reason. It also stands to reason that much of the superfluous gender labelling and categorising that goes on a lot these days is more relevant to a fictional context in that it’s easier to portray/explore than it is in-real life.

Ultimately, also, it’s not really anyone’s business what gender anyone is unless it’s a relevant part of an OOC relationship dynamic, imo. Obviously if you’re intimate with someone or have a certain level of trust with them, it’s a different story but on the whole, everyone I encounter OOC is just a giant neutral blob of grey.

Seeming isn’t knowing.

I say what I do because I consider it an important thing that folks need reminding of. Call it an unpopular opinion if you will.

it’s just good business

2 Likes

I feel like the no post limit on threads has now turned all threads on the Argent Dawn forums into inevitable battlegrounds for Tubri and Tehya and lore arguements between the usual suspects.

No thread is safe, it’s only a matter of time before even guild recruitment threads are caught up in the cycle of hatred.

What could he mean by this?

Well, thread vandals are inevitably dealt with, and dealt with the terrifying swiftness of Lord System.

Well, thread vandals are inevitably dealt with, and dealt with the terrifying swiftness of Lord System.

And yet much like the Burning Legion, once dealt with, it’s only a matter of time before the vandals return to begin their conquest anew. The wheel continues to turn.

Unpopular opinion but

The wheel needs breaking.

1 Like

Calm down Daenarys

dracarys

:fire: :dragon_face:

Tubri’s hangmang game dissapeared. Did he cool off or did the blue boys hop in?

It’s usually Lord System these days, the blue squadron are rarely called in unless there’s a co-ordinated vandalism attack on a thread.

1 Like

There’s not really any difference between how it is now and how it was before, as far as that goes.

Smiles at camera

Definitely not, it’d take 24 hours for that post to vanish if he deletes it.

4 Likes

Me irl…

1 Like

Whoah there cowboy…that’s some next level Unpopular opinion.

There is absolutely -nothing- wrong with it. Sometimes it is for pure narrative. My grizzled, mid 40’s hard smoking, hard drinking Human Squaddie is Female. Why? Because I wanted to turn a trope on its head. To basically be ‘Kat’ from ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ but female. Not because I like looking at the model’s bum, but because it would be a counterpoint to the many similar characters you see that use male avatars. One of the books (I can’t remember which) describes that at the time she joined up, women weren’t really at all common in the Armies of Humanity and actually hid their gender. I thought that was an interesting concept to run with, someone who grew up mean, in a mans world. I based her on a RL friend, who also, was a female Squaddie in the REME, and a lot of her mannerisms come from her. Sure, I’m a bloke, I’ll never have the frame of reference of actually -being- female, but I know enough women (I mean even my mother was one) to be able to hazard a guess that nine times out of ten is a swing and a hit as to how they think. Ginette Nixon is like my RL friend, She entered a man’s game and had to be tough and prove herself almost twice as much as her comrades with outdoor plumbing. She never backs down, and always pushes herself.

Those are just characteristics. The fact she has -indoor- plumbing doesn’t come into it. She’s the person she is, the sex doesn’t matter. So why should it matter that I decided to make her female? Simply because she would have had one more obstacle to overcome as a very young woman who joined the army, it helped define her character. Ginette Nixon would be the same as George Nixon for example, but George wouldn’t have had the same life experiences and prejudice against his sex.

Likewise one of the most macho characters I have ever met, a Blood Elf as it happens, a real ‘man’s man’ a proper bruiser, not stupid, but just utterly believable as a male soldier type, when I actually met the player IRL at LARP they turned out to be a tiny waif of a lass.(I mean that in a complimentary way, on the offchance she is reading this) I would never have guessed. The way they depicted their character I was thinking (When it turned out we were going to be at the same LARP system) “Jaysis, they’re going to be some massive Rugby type who will crush my hand in a handshake, I can feel my masculinity draining…”

Then it was like "Oh -You’re- ‘Character X’ She absolutely had nailed playing a male character so well, that I was convinced they were not only male IRL, but some big burly type. Men can play women, Women can play Men.

It is exactly the same as a male author being to write from a female character’s perspective, and vice versa. In fact that is -exactly- what is happening.

Its not Weird, it is an established basic principal of fiction narrative. “You can write as something you are not, as long as you can pull it off”

I mean we’d have lost a lot of Shakespeare’s work, a whole lot of the female authors from history would have vanished, there would be no Heathcliff for Cathy to fall in love with, some of the great classics of history would be gone, we would have no ‘War and Peace’, no ‘Anna Karenina’ no ‘Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder’ no ‘Last of the Mohicans’

All of these books would have just not existed, if we took the narrow approach of “A Man can’t write female Characters, and a Woman can’t write male Characters”

Of course they can.

8 Likes

thanks for the good work sir :cowboy_hat_face::smoking:

2 Likes

Lord of the Clans.

Similarly, you can only play an elf, orc, worgen, draenei, dwarf, gnome, pandaren, or goblin if you, yourself, are one of those in real life.

6 Likes

guess im off making a gnome character then…

(im just typing this so aeilmar and others cant take advantage of this :angry: )

13 Likes