Unpopular Opinions

So you are telling me that soldier from a race that risks breaking apart when hugged because they are basically a rotting corpse is somehow able to jump 3 meters into the air, land 10 meters away from his original position and be completely fine?

Or would this be more possible for tiny people with huge heads, or slightly bigger people with beards, or equally tiny people who are green, or humans, or thin guys addicted to magic, or even thinner purple guys formerly addicted to magic?
I could see draenei pulling it off, because some goats are great at jumping (trolls maybe too, they are pretty huge), but even bigger races like orcs and tauren don´t make sense doing something like that.

1 Like

Same way they can enter combat and walk out alive, I get where your perception Comes from but its not Lore, forsaken arent slowwalking zombies which heads you can Just lop off, their entire body is held together by dark magic and theyre very resilient

If theyre as weak as you suggest Arthas would never have been a threat and tbh if you cannot use ingame abilities ICly what can you?

It has been stated in Before the Storm that Forsaken are actually pretty fragile, because they are rotting corpses.

And ingame abilities are not made with lore in mind, rather with gameplay. Ingame, priest can be hit with axe 20 times without ever dying, but that doesn´t mean their robes are somehow able to resist blows with axe, it´s just how the game works.
You could use the same argument for any other class and ability, BTW. “How come my scout from Stormwind can´t literally become invisible? If you can´t use ingame abilities ICly, what can you?”

1 Like

Some seem to be, but a lot aren’t. Nathanos was hardly a fragile little waif when he was soloing alliance raids in EPL. Baron Whisperguy in Traveller takes multiple ogre spears to the chest and just keeps on fighting.

Golden’s grasp for established Forsaken story beats was a little bit lacking in BtS, as other bits showed. But oh well, it just means that you can say your forsaken is as resilient or not as you want.

1 Like

Though obviously there’s gradations to the decomposition. The Forsaken would be an entirely useless people if they all broke apart at the drop of a hat. They have Deathguards, blacksmiths and several other examples of fairly robust specimens in their ranks - not to mention they can replace limbs that are beyond repair.

You are using game mechanics (elite mob soloing raids) and book for children as proof against most recent WoW book.

No argument there, I have said before on probably more than one occassion that Christie Golden is a writer, not lore enthusiast. When she has interesting idea, she writes about it, even though it goes against previously established lore.

Golden: “Wouldn´t it be great if Sylvanas died defending her family home? It would add another layer to her meeting with Vereesa there in War Crimes.”
People who care about lore more than interesting character moments: “Yes, but she died in front of Silvermoon, you actually wrote that in your other book.”

Golden: “Wouldn´t it be great if Lorash was banished with his family by Malfurion, adding another layer to their conversation?”
Same people: “Yes, but everything in the lore suggests high/blood elves are mortal, living for thousands of years, but still mortal. Blizzard even changed Shrine of Dath´remar to reflect that and we know there have been 4 kings of Quel´Thalas.”

Golden: “Wouldn´t it be great if Forsaken were extremely fragile?”
Same people: “Well, yes, but they have been described as really strong and difficult to destroy.”

But you have people out there who will defend every bit of lore made and see it as hard canon and it seems taking lore literally rather than as something that was written by many people, some of whom are often ignorant to the established lore is more prevalent here, so using this logic, the most recent lore states Forsaken are fragile, which means Forsaken are fragile…even though previous lore stated otherwise.

Just a thought, but maybe the reason why all those people can do the things they do is because they often replace those limbs.
I mean, my original comment on this matter was a response to someone who basically said “lol, you are wrong, everyone can do Heroic Leap”, so take it for what it is: Quote of piece of lore that I don´t necessarily agree with which contradicts what they wrote.

Him soloing raids isn’t game mechanics, it was explicitly called out in the quest text (you know, lore) that you would need an army to fight him.

If you want something more recent, there’s the quest chain with the Forsaken squad in Nazmir where one guy gets cut in half and just puts himself back together without any real complaint or issue (which would trump BtS as more recent lore).

That was Robert Brooks, by the way. He wrote A Good War, not Golden.

6 Likes

Yeah I mean Darnell is able to carry 6+ bodies over his back without breaking a sweat- And flipping them up into the air using only his thigh.

Granted, he’s a bit bigger than your average deathguard, but he’s still carrying 6+ bodies without an issue.

Barnabass Grell also, while a forsaken, was able to tank and endure huge amounts of damage before he was finally defeated.

Forsaken aren’t just one type. Some are more withered and shambling than others, while some are better preserved or objectively stronger (such as sustained by alchemy, magic or rage/chi).

If you want to go down the realist route, then I’m going to point out that many small mammals like rats, shrews and alike can actually jump far greater distances than humans can when compared to the proportion of their bodies, thanks to square-cube-law.

Telaryn actually made a good analysis about how Draenei (or at least Maarod) couldn’t be a functional bipedal being if the laws of physics were 1:1 to our world.

Warriors are peak performance guys with rage giving them superhuman abilities, such as leaping +30 yards in full plate or being able to charge 50+ miles an hour instantly for 25 yards.

SOME forsaken. Not all.

They are equally viable sources of lore. How many times do you need to faceplant with your arguments because you make ridiculous headcanon statements without looking up all the material or only the material you like?

Traveler absolute IS canon lore (And a fantastic piece at that) and it being a children’s book has nothing to do with watering down it’s credibility as a source.

4 Likes

Unless y’all nibbas ever tried breaking rigor on an adult male corpse don’t even try to say dead people aren’t strong
Don’t @ me

I know this may come as a surprise to some, but many don´t actually RP warriors as “peak performance guys with rage giving them superhuman abilities”.

That’s their choice.

6 Likes

And if you go way back, you will find out that this whole discussion about Heroic Leap, warriors and Forsaken started with people talking about duels being viable way to do RP combat, to which my response was:

Unsure what’re you trying to say here.

Is using heroic leap immersion breaking for you?

1 Like

The thing is, in game abilities are reflections of what characters can do, as are lore sources.

We -see- both Garrosh and Gromash use Heroic Leap in Cinematics, we see Sylvanas use Disengage in her fight with Genn, we see Lor’themar using Arcane shot in the Belf Heritage quests.

I used to think some abilities were stupid, such as Hunters being able to summon their pets out of thin air until someone (I think it was Elenthas actually) corrected me and pointed out that it happens in one of the canon comics. Since then we have an even more telling example, from ‘Shadows of the Horde’, where Vol’jin asks Tyrathan Khort why he doesn’t simply just summon his companion, both talk about it in a matter of fact way. It is obviously something that people accept Hunters -can- do.

Spellcasters are not Gods, nor are they superior to the other Classes, as -every- Class is able to do some remarkable things. We can’t cherry pick the abilities that tilt things in a Mages favour and ignore the abilities of a Warrior. The essence of good Roleplay is playing a role, in that setting. In this Setting Warriors -can- do all that stuff. It is faintly ridiculous to say that a Warrior jumping high into the sky and slamming down further forwards, or being able to charge at speeds of up to 50 mph is ‘Unrealistic’ Whilst saying that summoning fire out of nowhere and blasting someone with it is somehow ‘realistic’.

Neither of those things are possible.

In Our World.

In the Warcraft setting, those things -are- possible.

If people want to limit their RP powers and be much more a ‘normal’ footman, then that’s fine, but that’s their choice. But it is a no more or less valid choice than someone who chooses to use the abilities of the Warrior Class.

8 Likes

Summoning fireballs and magic shields out of nothing is fine but so help me, you better not jump high/far!

Unpopular opinion: If you can’t accept that warriors are capable of these sort of feats, find another setting.

11 Likes

I think this fantasy setting isn’t for you :rofl:

4 Likes

sOrRy bUt YoU cAn’T lEaP tHaT mUcH. nO pAtH aVaIbLe

4 Likes

a warlock can summon a demon formed of rock and lava from the sky = a-ok.

an angery little dwarf headcharging or leaping 25yrd = not acceptable.

what is fantasy

3 Likes

Death Knight can summon large abomination with snap of fingers = Accepted

an angery gnome leaping = not acceptable

2 Likes

This except unironically.