Upgrading from 2600x to 3600. Worth?

Hey guys I got the ryzen 2600x. Would upgrading to Ryzen 3600 be any better for wow?
My motherboard is an MSI x570

I personally don’t think a one generation upgrade is worth it; even some of Intel’s latest comparison for 30-series GPU’s have been to 10-series.

A 5600(X?) would make more sense… but a long realistic look at how your machine performs as is would be a very serious consideration; hype is a dangerous stream to fall into, esp. as a lot of major PC parts are in a very sorry supply state at the moment.

1 Like

The question is do you need more frames for your display? If 2600X is providing enough frames then you may not have to upgrade right now :wink:

the 3600 is a decent upgrade but as others have said I would save the extra and get the 5600x it’s a massive upgrade over the 2600x you already have a x570 board so even if you have to save up for an extra couple of months it will be worth the wait.

1 Like

Those benchmarks are not really representative for WoW at all.
A 5600X will DESTROY a 1600X or a 2600X completely, hell even the improved IPC of the 3000 series is nothing compared to the 5000.
The IPC of the older Ryzen generations is really low compared to older Intel and current obviously.
I have a 3900X and altough it is a pretty good CPU overall, it is not really an amazing CPU for WoW if you are running lots of addons are raiding on the regular.
Intel had the advantage till the 5000 series came out.
You should check out hardware numb3rs YT channel and look at his WoW benchmarks.
Especially look at the min FPS which are important for a stable framerate in raids etc.

1 Like

Yeah like that guys vids but the CPU comparison Shadowlands vid he did with the 2080ti the 1% lows are higher but you are still getting 90fps 1% lows with the 3000series and the difference would be a lot closer @1440p and 4k.

I know the 5000series is better but at current prices 3000series offers much better value unless you are going for a rtx3080/3090 or 6800/6900xt and in most games you really wont notice the difference unless you are running them side by side with the FPS counters on.

I had a 1700x until a few weeks back I don’t really play retail much but I never had any problems pretty much 100% GPU bound pretty much everywhere in Shadowlands quality 10 @1440p but that’s only with a Vega64 don’t raid though so cant comment on that just log on from time to time when I get bored.

The only time I had any problems with FPS is in classic in Org just before a double world buff to pop with 100s of players logged in waiting for the world buffs to pop my FPS could drop down as low as 20fps if i stood in the right spot to get as many people in my FOV as possible but in raids on boss fights would be around 70-90 depending on the fight.

Now I have a 3700x and not really noticed much difference in retail a few extra fps in some zones but again was already mostly GPU bound in retail any way but in classic went from 20fps in org when it’s packed just before a double buff pop to 40fps, and in raids from around 70-90fps with the 1700x to around 90-110fps so in heavily bound CPU situations it has gotten me around an extra 20fps on avg I know the 5800x would have gotten me even more probably another 20-30fps on avg but in Org but that’s kind of a worse case scenario anyway most of the time you aint gonna have 200+ people sat in the same spot waiting for a world buff to pop, apart from when TBC goes live and you have 3000+ people waiting for the portal to open but think even the 5800x will struggle then lol, but i would love to test it with a with a 5600/5800x and a rtx3080 or 6800XT so if any of you have any spare ones lying around that you want to send me would be more than willing to test it out for you :smiley:

The thing is, you can’t really compare classic raids cpu requirements with shadowlands live server.
On live you have like 1000 procs and buffs etc. and if you are raiding seriously you are using addons like weakauras, details, bossmods, nameplates with buffs and so on.
Now all these addons are hammering the combatlog at the same time and analyzing it in realtime too.
The combatlog and the addons are running on the same main cpu thread, that is why IPC and high clocksspeeds is still king in WoW and not many threads like in modern games.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.