Upgrading Processor

So I’m looking to upgrade my processor, currently have the Ryzen 5 2600x, got my eye on a Ryzen 7 3700x, which to my knowledge is a decent upgrade, but I’m not 100% sure if it’s compatable with my board, Gigabyte a520m s2h, would anyone here happen to know if it is or isn’t compatable, I’m pretty sure my board can handle 5000 series but I can’t find anything online, or I’m looking in the wrong place.

Thanks.

Literally the first search result when googling your Mobo and CPU support that comes up:

Your board supports all the 5000 series CPUs, also the 5800X3D which i would recommend if you can afford it.

A 3700X will only give you a minor FPS increase in WoW, not worth the money.
WoW scales with singlethreading and as such you would need at least a Ryzen 5600 to even see a noticeable increase in FPS.

Here’s a benchmark for you:

Scroll down, move your mouse over the 2700X bar and see the % increases :slight_smile:

I upgraded from a 3900X a year ago and paid 420€ for a 5800X3D, did not regret it.
Doubled my FPS in raids etc., just runs great now, to a point where my RTX 2070S is limiting me while questing (1440P, settings 7) :grimacing:

Oh and my avg FPS in Valdrakken with like 20-30 players in front of the AH are ~90.

Sorry I should have probably pointed out in the original post that I’m partially sighted so likely would have missed something, thanks for the answer though it’s very appreciated thank you.

No problem :slight_smile:
Oh and don’t forget to upgrade your BIOS before installing a new CPU!

Any chance you could point me in the right direction for the bios update? :smiley:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

F17C is the latest version from Sept. 20th.

After the update you will have to enable the XMP profile for your RAM again so it runs at it’s max speed and not the baseclock of only 2133Mhz.

Basically your BIOS settings will go back to default and anything you might have changed, you will have to change again after the update is done.

The most important setting is the RAM profile, or you will lose alot of performance depending on what RAM you got.

I should also mention that you will need a better CPU cooler if you are running with the boxed one :smiley:

Thanks for this, very helpful, after checking msinfo32 it seems I already have the bios update required for the processors I’ve got my eyes on, one of them being the 5800x3d which you suggested so should just be a case of simply swapping them out! :smiley: happy days!!!

Thanks again for all your help here with this, it was and is very much appreciated!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.