Useful Trinkets for Roleplay, A Compilation

Seeing as the previous topic on the matter, Useful Trinkets for RP, was closed but was a fantastic guide to Trinkets with visual effects and had a lot of really good suggestions, I’ve taken to compiling them into a single list, together with others I had that never got a chance to throw in. The list is bound to be incomplete even right now and to grow when more are added, so feel free to chime in. Generally, the rule for inclusion of a trinket in the list is that it shouldn’t require a Hostile Target.

I organized them in categories depending on their visual effects, but that’s a suggestion on my part and not a rule for how they should be used. Though the majority are trinkets, some are simply items or armor.

Melee

Effects that usually trigger an animation on the character, such as punching or swinging a weapon.

List
  • Grong’s Primal Rage - Stomps the ground repeatedly while roaring.
  • Emissary’s Watch - Performs a punch animation even with a weapon equipped. For Monks, this attack is different depending on your spec!
  • Abacus of Violent Odds - Performs a punch animation even with a weapon equipped. For Monks, this attack is different depending on your spec!
  • Moroes’ Lucky Pocket Watch - Performs a weapon swing animation.
  • Incisor Fragment - Performs a weapon swing animation.
  • Ramping Amplitude Gigavolt Engine - Increases speed with an exhaust particle effect behind.
  • Might of Krosus - The user stomps the ground and leaves behind a fel green crater. Example: https://media1.giphy.com/media/s3NKMG6p2fPiwLoAYY/giphy.gif?cid=790b76114686b935b88ff009811ad7955e0095749547737a&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Apparatus of Khazgoroth - Apparatus of Khaz’goroth, which requires getting 5 stacks of a buff it gives for every melee crit you do, and then gives you a fiery aura that definitely isn’t straight out of DBZ. Getting the crits isn’t too difficult for most melee classes but it could be neat if anyone wants the flair. Example: https://media1.giphy.com/media/xlDaGvzu89rFPt6eke/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b83a3508697b4708894addcc568b4aaf47e1910c&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Holy Censer - Quest item EXCLUSIVE to ALLIANCE that does a weapon swing animation on a very short cooldown. Can be used anywhere.
  • The Swineskin - Toy, throws a ball at a target with a punching animation. Requires a friendly target.
  • Foot ball - Toy, kicks a ball at a target with a kicking animation. Requires a friendly target.
  • Icon of Unyielding Courage - Performs a different weapon swing depending on the weapon equipped, which is also different from Emissary’s Watch or Holy Censer.
  • Gnomish Auto-Dodger 600 - Displays the defensive stance effect for a while, with 4 shields that surround and orbit the user.

Holy

Effects evocative of the Light with bright, shimmering particle effects.

List
  • High Powered Flashlight - Casts a pillar of white light that looks exactly like an Elune Stone.
  • Overflowing Ember Mirror - Overflowing Ember Mirror is from a quest in Revendreth, but creates a bubble-like shield around that bursts after a while. Example: https://media4.giphy.com/media/KpwKVmFXolGlNwkEIJ/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611048e566c6e81e93ee45bd4946cb72abed3f7dc62&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Shard of Annhylde’s Aegis - Creates the same barrier animation from the Aegis of Aggramar in Legion. Example: https://gyazo.com/d21d253db1c83ccfb5885a14e9395316
  • Tarratus Keystone - Creates a very short-lived portal of Light next to the target to heal them.
  • Archive of Faith - Channels a beam of Light at a target, then surrounds them in a Holy bubble at the end.
  • Mydas’ Talisman - Covers the user’s hands in an intense particle of effect of Light.
  • Lingering Sunmote - Creates a bright effect on the ground, similar to a consecration.
  • Ankh of Life - Instant cast with Classic’s Renew particle effect. Can be used on a Friendly Target as well.
  • Shadowmoon Insignia - Uses the Paladin’s vanilla Holy Light particle effect, though with no casting animation from the player.
  • Bauble of True Blood - Casts an elaborate Holy particle effect around the player.
  • Figurine of the Colossus - Creates a ring of light with 4 golden shields that orbit the player.
  • The Lion’s Roar - Casts a dome of Light akin to Anduin’s from the trailer for BFA, and the intro quest for Shadowlands.
  • Brimming Ember Shard - Channels a beam of Light at a target. Dimmer than Apexis Focusing Shard.
  • Apexis Focusing Shard - Toy, channels a denser beam of Light at a target.
  • Vial of the Sunwell - Produces the disc priest atonement spell effect. Example: https://media4.giphy.com/media/aJWB2JE4NBVOTC854R/giphy.gif?cid=790b76117cfeb2102ea531a33277e91e8454531750f140e7&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Faith’s Crucible - Fires off tiny holy bolts at allies. Difficult to see, however.
  • Caregiver’s Charm - A holy rune briefly surrounds the user.

Shadow

Shadowy effects evocative of the Void.

List

Fel

Effects that evoke Fel/Legion.

List

Arcane

Effects themed around Arcane magic, including runes and casting effects.

List
  • Shifting Naaru Sliver - Creates an elaborate magical rune under the user.
  • Glimmering Naaru Sliver - Performs an animation that is similar to the old Evocation mage ability.
  • Azsharas Font of Power - Performs an elaborate Evocation animation, similar to a mage’s ability.
  • Jaina’s Locket - Performs the Portal/Teleport casting animation, before producing a usable portal to Dalaran.
  • Shadow Jade Focusing Lens - Channel a light purple beam with a sinusoidal animation towards the target. Interrupted by movement.
  • Prismatic Focusing Lens - Channels a rainbow-colored beam towards the target. It has the same visuals as the Reflecting Prism.
  • Mogu Rune of Paralysis - Sets up a red, mogu looking rune.
  • Depleted Leyflame Burner - Quest item. Performs the evocation pose with large arcane spell effects around the hands. Extremely short cooldown and long cast time, can be mixed with other spells for more effects.
  • EMP Generator - Belt Engineering tinker effect. Causes an Arcane Explosion effect at the user’s location.
  • Tome of Unstable Power - Creates a Dragonflight-era arcane rune on the ground, with an effect of whirling air around it.
  • Compendium of Love - Toy. For a few moments, acquire arcane particles around the user’s hand while flipping through a spectral book with the other hand. Useful for short incantations on a 3 minute cooldown.

Misc Magic

A variety of magical-looking effects, from fire and arcane to blood.

List

Shaman

Effects generally related to Lightning and Wind effects.

List
  • Smoldering Titanguard - Smoldering Titanguard creates a barrier of flames around the user, that then erupts in in four directions after a while. Example: https://media1.giphy.com/media/TaryOah6wak0Oq1Dg1/giphy.gif
  • Galecaller’s Boon - Creates a rune that swirls with a gale.
  • Horn of Cenarius - Conjures a wisp that flies at a friendly target.
  • Varothens Brooch - Conjures red lightning but requires a target.
  • Ramstein’s Lightning Bolts - Conjures a lightning bolt to the user.
  • Electromagnetic Gigaflux Reactivator - Also conjures a lightning bolt to the user, then throws a lightning bolt at every target in front of them if there are any. Example: https://media2.giphy.com/media/dZjYyQvexrM2Epb7kd/giphy.gif?cid=790b76113dd4c1f9e1b1cfc8acba067278a526d825aa1efd&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Charm of the Rising Tide - Creates a wave-like effect at the character’s feet, which could be of use for replicating shaman spells or tidesages. Example: https://media4.giphy.com/media/nxYZ9XF4Mgp9qEXt8u/giphy.gif
  • Avalanche Elixir - Turns the user into a meteor/giant rock, leaving a massive crater at the landing location.
  • Earthbreaker’s Impact - Causes a small Earth Shock animation on the user.
  • Circle of Flame - Cloth Helmet. Performs a fiery version of a mage’s evocation with a fairly large tornado effect.
  • Lifeflame Ampoule - Causes a fiery blast all around the user, with small embers that linger for a few moments after in a circle.
  • Aquipotent Nautilus - Fires a watery vortex towards a target, which then returns to the caster. Can be used on friendly targets.
  • Scepter of Spectacle: Earth - Shoots a blob of mud forward. The wand must be equipped first.
  • Scepter of Spectacle: Frost - Shoots a blob of ice forward. The wand must be equipped first.
  • Scepter of Spectacle: Air - Shoots a blob of whispy air forward. The wand must be equipped first.
  • Scepter of Spectacle: Fire - Shoots a fiery blob forward. The wand must be equipped first.
  • Torrent Caller’s Shell - Unleash large, watery waves all around the user.
  • Faulty Countermeasure - Encases the user’s hands in frost.
  • Frost Potion - Quest item EXCLUSIVE to ALLIANCE. Causes the user to breathe a bout of icy flames.
  • Talisman of the Cragshaper - Surrounds the user in floating rocks.

Engineering

Mechanical or engineer-based items and toys with visual effects or server-side models.

List

Transformation

Effects that change the user into another model. Perfect for NPCing and other such uses!

List
  • Heart of the Swarm - Transform into a swarm of locusts briefly. Can be transfered via Reflecting Prism to maintain the appearance!
  • Fury of Angerforge - Transforms the user into a black dragonspawn after gathering 5 stacks of its buff while wearing the trinket. Uses old model of dragonspawn.
  • Orb of the Blackwhelp - Transform into a black dragon whelp.
  • Sargeras Sangria - Transform into a large, red imp.
  • Blubbery Muffin - Transform into a Tuskarr.
  • Malfunctioning Stealthman 54 - Acquire a stealth animation without actually turning invisible, and without the foliage of the Ravenbear Disguise.
  • Clacking Claw - Transform into a primal/deep-sea looking makrura.

Misc

Effects that, in my view, didn’t fall in any of the categories above.

List
  • Precious Bloodthorn Loop - Allows you to stealth for a few seconds.
  • Hourglass Sand - Hourglass Sand is also not a trinket but it’s easily collectable from Blackwing Lair and has the same visual effect of Slow Fall. Can only be used on yourself. Example: https://media2.giphy.com/media/qWfwfLRl7KlB1BZWbX/giphy.gif?cid=790b76110adaa47d1cf11e020c73b51c299f793a6cda1be3&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • Desecrated Oil - Become grayscale. Useful for petrification, corruption, etc…
  • Deepstone Oil - Become petrified, halting all animations until the debuff is removed.
  • Scepter of Spectacle: Order - Shoots a golden, Order-magic-like orb forward. The wand must be equipped first.
  • Temporally-Locked Sands - Become trapped in a time bubble for 5 minutes, in a choking animation. Might be handy as a barrier too.
  • Mistcaller’s Ocarina - The caster plays a song during the cast, which can be interrupted and restarted to continue playing it.
27 Likes

that’s some hella useful stuff right there, insta bookmark

1 Like

Ankh of Life, I believe it’s called - does an instant cast holy animation /particle effect from classic.

2 Likes

Ohh right, I remember seeing that one once. Added to the list, thank you!

1 Like

I’d like to add that although it’s not a trinket, but the quest item for the 'Soothing Spirit’s quest in Duskwood performs the weapon swing animation when used on a 5 second CD! The quest item can be used anywhere as long as you never turn it in.

Unfortunately(?) it’s Alliance-only.

Edit: I’d also like to add that it works for monks who are otherwise unable to use their weapon animations! Confirmed it just now myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I debated on whether to include this one at first, but it really is useful even if only for Alliance folks so it ought to make the cut. Threw it on the list, thanks!

2 Likes

Ba-bump!

1 Like

This is a damn cool collection, keeping it afloat! o7

1 Like

High quality thread.

This is really good stuff.

1 Like

It’s not a trinket, but if you’re a class with a spell/fist ready animation when you target someone (so no weapon, just your wiggly hands), if you use the Dazzling Rod toy while attack targeting and cancel it you can wield your weapon.

This also works with rifles on Rogues and Warriors (not hunters due to Auto Attack), giving you the rifle holding pose that usually others can’t see.

3 Likes

This thread is epic so I’ll add a few that I use on some of my OC’s.

Brimming Ember Shard - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Light-based beam

Apexis Focusing Shard - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
A pretty popular one amongst the holy communities, bigger light-based beam

Faulty Countermeasure - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Trinket that envelops your hands in frost for 30 seconds (good for mages/shamans!)

The Swineskin - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Punch animation

Foot Ball - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Kick animation

Avalanche Elixir - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Turns you into a meteor/giant rock, leaving a massive crash when you land (great for earth shamans)

Ashen Liniment - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Turns the model hella shadowy (yet to see this one be used but think it’d be great for dark magic users)

Heartsbane Grimoire - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)
Another good toy for dark magic users, gives you an hour long effect of being all shadowy and spooky

Will probably post some more in future!

2 Likes

Ayy thanks, I’ve added these to the main post!

With 9.2 around the corner, I’ve also added some of the new trinkets that I was able to test, but I saw several interesting ones that I couldn’t get. If anyone gets their hands on them, I can add them to the list!

Finally got the one that I -really- wanted, after seeing it mentioned in the thread. Thank you for helping me immerse better in my roleplay :eyes:

2 Likes

Anyone come across interesting trinkets during their ZM adventures?

1 Like

I’ve taken some time to shuffle some of the trinkets around in an Arcane category, and added a few items like the craftable Focusing Lens that are very useful for channeled spell visuals!

2 Likes

I didn’t even know these were a thing. Props to you for making a shortlist of them all, this’ll be really useful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.