Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

I got new a PSU, new NVME.

Picked up Windows 11 and formatted, fresh install.

Reinstalled wow and started on old AMD drivers: 23.8.1
DX11

Worked for a week then last night in the middle of running a community event BAM.

“Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”

On my new PC with a 7800XT I get a black screen driver crash that recovers, didn’t happen with my previous amd setup running a 6000 series card. The crash is totally random.

Hi,

I put this thread as a bookmark to see if anything at all helps.
I was hopeful due to a new driver update the other day, but it didnt do anything.
Just now I went to to my weekly transmog runs…its impossible to play.

I went into Kara and my monitors went black 4 times. Monitors came back, 20 seconds later crashed again. Last one made 2 of 3 monitors stay black and required a full pc restart.

Problem first appeared for me with the new dungeons (DOTI: Fall & DOTI: MR) [basically Patch 10.1.5], especially the big open room with the yellow “time stuff” on the ground. I avoided those dungeons, but the problem spread to everywhere else. Emerald Dream, Valdrakken, Stormwind, Karazahn, ALL other current m+ dungeons. Tahe game is pretty much unplayable on any competitive or even enjoyable level. If you crash in a +25, yeah well suck it loser? No thanks blizzard.

None of the proposed fixes in this thread helped, none. Sad!

Please keep this thread up-to-date in case something is actually changing and a lot of us can play the game properly again. Until then, subscription is running out.

PC Specs for reference:

i9-13900K
SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 7900 XTX NITRO+ Vapor-X 24GB

Imagine those specs and not even able to play a 20 year old game kekw

Its dissapointing that we have no update on this.

1 Like

Very sad that we have no new updates indeed.
Maybe Microsoft will do something about it, now that they run the show.
Also considering un-subbing, same case for me, doing high m+ keys on my main char, and if you get the video driver crash during a 27-28, you are literally screwed, this needs a fix please. Come on

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffc1000eccf010
Parameter 2: fffff80538474f60
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 2158
OS version: 10_0_19045
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

@Blizzard tech team or Microsoft tech team, please have a deeper look into this and fix it, as you see, loads of people are affected, as it is a game breaking issue.

5800X3D + 7900XTX, 1200W PSU, Aorus Master X570 board with latest firmware. 64GB Ram…

I am getting black screens few times every day. No driver version matter, it is happening for almost a year (and all the driver versions that had been there since). DDU had not changed anything, Minimal/Maximal driver install had not changed anything. Fresh system re-install had not changed anything…
With or without addons, no difference either.

System temps are hardly hitting 60 on CPU and 70 on GPU. 3840x1600@144Hz capped.
When crashed, there is never any spike or anything different out of regular on any sensor.

No other game produces same problems. No stress test produces same issue.
It is just and only WoW both retail and classic.

Playing on laptop with 3080, never had an issue.
Playing on mac M2Max, never had an issue.

But still… Blizz could we get it fix already? This is ridiculous

November, December, January and now February. Still no update. Lads, we paid good money for these GPUs, we want to use them. What’s going on? Who’s at fault? Who should we contact? Why is everyone at play refusing to communicate? Microsoft, AMD, Blizzard… nobody is helping us out or letting us know what’s going on.

2 Likes

My sub expired, if had issues for since before expansion launch, i won’t return until Blizzard fixes it with or without AMD help, it’s their game their issue not AMD, all AMD can do is help Blizzard figure out what they do wrong.
I am also not returning without proper compensation.

At the time i was freezing daily i was testing RAM overnight for a whole week no issues, CPU the week after again no issues, followed by 48 hour run of various 3D test non stop again with no issue, do not tell me this is an AMD issue its not, this is obviously an issue with the game, AMD can probably help Blizzard figure out whats wrong, i can’t im not a programmer.

Honestly Blizzard has wasted enough of my time, never again.

I have come to the conclusion that it is an architectural problem with the 7800XT and the 7900XT and XTX. These 3 graphics cards use the RDNA 3 architecture unlike the other lower-end models or previous generations, and it seems that wow is not optimized for that type of graphics or at least in DX12, since other graphics cards that do not They use RDNA 3, they are not presenting these errors or they do not usually present these errors. For example, I also have the 7900XTX and every time I play wow, especially since the last driver update, the icons on the taskbar are misplaced and some are overlapped on top of others, some several centimeters away from others, and then when I close wow, everything is fixed, And it has also been almost a month without crashes with DX12 and these days I have crashes every so often.

I resigned myself and put the DX11 because I was having crashes in the middle of the rounds when playing solo shuffle. Which DX11 do you use, the normal one or the old one? Because I have 2 to choose from.

The issue here is that we don’t know who the culprit is, whether AMD knows the issue and doesn’t give it much importance, or whether it’s Blizzard doing the same thing, or whether they can’t focus on the problem due to some internal problem. Whatever it is, in the end we’ve had this problem for many months and it doesn’t look like they’re going to fix it.

This is a disgrace, this is the most expensive PC I have ever built and I just cannot enjoy playing the ONLY game I play. DX 11 fps is horrific, 7800x3d processor and 7800XT GPU cant produce 100 fps in an m+ dungeon or keep above 60 in a 20 man raid. With DX12 you get constant 144 fps, but crashes in crucial moments every hour or so. Thousands WASTED. AMD doesnt respond to bug reports or emails, Blizzard doesnt respond either. If enough of us got to together we maybe could try to take legal action, this is illegal or borderline at best.

1 Like

I am in the same boat still. The fix i posted seemed to fix it for a week but then it crashed again and then after another week again and now it seems to be back to crashing 1 or 2 times a day. I have bitten the bullet and bought an nvdia card and i will be reselling my amd:/ But after weeks of trying to fix the problem and seeing it has actually gone on for months and months now i gave up on amd …

I have installed DX11 and luckily I have a good fps rate, it runs smoothly and I can play any mode without any type of problem. Even so, I shouldn’t have to use an old API to be able to play, but I have already lost some shuffle because of the blockages and I don’t want it to happen again

Is anyone getting weird artifacting since the last AMD update? Doesnt happen in any other game and its so inconsistent that it either happens a lot of doesn’t happen at all. With or without addons, changing presets in Andrenaline doesn’t help either. Turned off this new frame rate generation setting too, since it only started after the recent update and still happens.

Please don’t derail this thread by posting issues that are not related at all.

I found this thread because I also have a Radeon 7900XT and am having the same issue. During playing WoW at random times (I play Classic and Retail) both my monitors will just go black and the display driver will crash. Takes around 8-15 seconds to recover or sometimes doesn’t recover at all.

Even if it does recover, I still find I have to reboot because it creates a weird interface lag in WoW, and break my other open applications. This doesn’t happen playing any other games so far, only WoW. I’m absolutely fed up with it.

1 Like

Agreed, keep this on the main track.

@Tsukara, I find that I have to reboot every time the video driver crashes aswell, I also noticed the weird lag that happens once this driver issue occurs.

@Blizzard team - can you guys give us an update please?
It’s been a long time since you last wrote here.

Same issue. black screen / locking up on DX12. with amd driver crashing.

Fixed with DX11.

I heard a lot of people saying using DX11 fixes it (being forced to use DX11 is not much of a fix!). So I tried this all today. It still crashed.

I spend hours troubleshooting and i can recommend if you have no issues in other games, just give up its in Blizzard and AMD hands to fix, there is nothing you can do other then post about having these issues like here, or do a bug report neither AMD or Blizzard cares we are like 2e grade citizens.
AMD market share to small for Blizzard to care, and AMD does not realize that even just having a few bug reports about same issue means they need to investigate.

AMD likes to force devs to make their software or games compatible for their gpu’s rather then following standards they trying to create new standards without ever communicating with game devs of games that have issues.
You want to play a game with issues chances are you never gonna fix those issues, unless ofcourse you well i am not gonna mention it im sure people understand.

1 Like

my biggest regret is getting an amd gpu when my main game is wow atm. so disappointed to see a company like blizzard fail like this

2 Likes

I just freshly installed Windows 11 Pro, everything up to date, drivers on default.

Game crashed randomly in Coldarra during leveling. I also tried -d3d12 forcing through the command line(read some reply on the US threads), the game crashed again in Uldaman low level dungeon. I just had 2 crashes in an hour, I’m not even going to try to play M+ until next season, I’m just sick of it.

I’ll go back to -d3d11 flag with DXVK patching, that seemed stable.