Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

New AMD update so had to leave the game and take its time to load in after again, for about 5 minutes just black screen before finally starting up. It is also stuttering/freezing again. It just never seems to end.

Eyati, you haven’t complained and demanded compensation for 6 whole days, you okay buddy?

I assume 24.2.1 still doesn’t fix the issue, that right? Asking for resubbing purposes. :>

After hopeful three days of playing, it crashed twice today in a single M+ run. Crashes were shorter, and less frequent (I think?) after the 24.2.1, sooooo progress (I guess?).

Anyway, DirectX 12 problem is now listed in “known issues” of patch notes, so we can now simply wait and hope for a quick fix.

Nope my sub also expired, i also play other games, anyway today i learned AMD is color blind a RGB bug in dying light 2 got listed in known issues yesterday but they call it purple corruption, i guess AMD test for 1 minute expect results then give up and not further investigate.
Explains why Blizzard games are a mess.

Btw Overwatch 2 has the opesite issue of long startup, instead it takes longer time to exit which does not happen on NVIDIA gpu’s.
Really starting to think now that its all AMD fault and they are shoveling everything under a rug.

I recommend everyone in this thread everyone that reads this to spam bug reports to AMD about any wow issues or other game issues you have, also demand compensation for any day you had this issue while owning an AMD gpu.

1 Like

Hello [name],

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Blizzard Entertainment.
Game Master Ienoighta here. I’ll be the one helping you with whatever you need.

What I could gather by reading what you wrote is that World of Warcraft isn’t running as you expected on your AMD. Worry not; I will be more than happy to help with that.

Let me thank you for the time and effort you have put into explaining what you have gone through to fix the issue, as it really helped us.

I would like to clarify that we haven’t received enough reports to raise a flag to AMD. Yet, we would advise you to contact AMD for them to address the issue specifically.

That being said, I would suggest moving the game to your SSD if you have it on your HDD.

Kindly check our technical support forums for more information: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/support/technical-support/15

If you need assistance with anything, face any issues, or even have a small question, please don’t hesitate to hit us up again at any time. Otherwise, I wish you a great rest of your day. Once again, thank you for all the time you must have waited for us.

We are always happy to help Prestigious Warriors like you.

Your friendly Game Master,
Ienoighta ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭✧

I tried opening a ticket with support yesterday. So as it turns out, we all have to open a ticket with support, one by one.

They haven’t received enough reports to raise a flag to AMD.

That’s their stance so far.

Nobody’s reading these forums. Nobody’s reading the reddit posts everywhere. Nobody’s reading AMD’s forums.

They haven’t received enough reports to raise a flag to AMD.

1 Like

They are tone deaf they need to check everywhere and they will soon realize there are plenty of reports, im not wasting time opening a ticket if reported it plenty of times in game via Blizzard own bug report tool or thru battle.net launcher.
They want to pretend that we aren’t complaining that is fine I will boycot Blizzard rest of the life, as for AMD it will be the same looks like im done building my last gaming PC

What a crap show.
Sorry Blizzard did not let me use the S word so i used the C word

As for enough reports AMD has 15% market share of that market share maybe 1% plays wow by that logic they are never gonna get enough reports, AMD them self does not even realize this as they often just ignore bug reports unless you spam them daily at which point they probably still ignore you.

1 Like

Lately I’m starting to have more crashes using DX11 and the worst thing is that the crashes are even more aggressive than with DX12. When I have a crash wow it closes directly, and if I have 2 wow accounts open at the same time when a crash occurs I have to force a restart of the PC because it does not recover. It is clear that DX11 is a temporary solution, but sooner or later you will have crashes and they will be worse than with DX12. The worst thing is that this does not look like it will be solved in the short-medium term, and I knew about AMD that it had certain errors, but that it had improved in recent generations, in fact I was investigating but I have seen that it is not enough and that is that I missed this problem with wow.

I wanted to give AMD a chance for once, since I have always used Nvidia since the GTX 280 and honestly, apart from the WoW problem, the graphics have not given me any problems with any other game and if they solve that problem, it would be a 10 , but unfortunately I can’t say that, since my “main game” doesn’t work as it should and I can’t solve it anymore because I can’t change the graphics and this error would have seriously made me reconsider buying a 4080 super or a 4070 ti super sooner than an AMD. Now it’s time to pray and hope that at some point they solve this error.

3 Likes

@Venedictos

This is ridiculous lol, how about they read this near 20k views thread and almost 400 replies with people reporting on their own forums.
Best thing to do is un-sub and hope that when they loose enough players, they start to actually read on why people left, and what was the issues they were facing.
One can only dream at this point.

Now you know how i feel when i started breaking down after 180+ days of having freezes on both 6900 XT and 7900 XTX altho frequency was much lower on 7900 XTX.

Imagine finding fix at random only to find out days later you still have issues, and its not just freezes if had i used to get driver timeouts.
Feels like Blizzard forced a tdrdelay of infinity on my system when i launch the game

To explain what setting tdrdelay does when you get a driver timeout it just remains frozen for whatever time you set, so if its set to infinity it never gives a driver timeout, but it wont ever unfreeze either so this is like one of the fixes some users recommended but that is actually just a myth, which i feel like Blizzard is forcing on some users like me probably cos i rather have driver time out cos the game it self never crashes when i had a time out in the past.

Whats more crazy is amount of time i tested my hardware and even swapped out components to rule out the issue, or how many times i spammed AMD bug report tool, they simply do not seem to care, neither does Blizzard even tho they could just contact AMD and say that large percentage of AMD Radeon users have driver time outs can you look into it, we believe its due your drivers etc but nope Blizzard not doing this either.

Instead they have silly response with there not enough people complaining about it.

i hoped that would be the case but sadly accoring to steam hardware survey, a very small % of gamers uses amd gpus. we are the minority and therefore it doesnt really affect them financially. especially when we maintain long subscriptions and prepurchase expansions. me and eyati have subbed for a year and have prepurchased the next expac and we are prolly not the only ppl. so blizzard already got our money. they dont care whether we can play or not

1 Like

They locked my thread with a note that its just an AMD driver issue, while AMD contineus to ignore world of warcraft players.
The best thing we can do is spam the hell out of AMD bug report tool which probably controversial but seriously to be expected, send a bug report least once a day, or any crash you have.

Having just the driver timeouts is not even the worst, my timeouts turned into entire system freezing up as if world of warcraft messes with my tdrdelay setting it to infinity cos i can hear my usb unplug from headset if i unplug it while its frozen, and it does not respond to the usual Win + Ctrl + Shift + B but gladly gives me hardware unplug sound or plugin sound when plugging in something into usb, which leads me to believe the video scheduler is frozen.

This has especially been a problem since 22.7.1 drivers that had large amount of reports and the first recommended driver of 2022 after 22.7.1 before the end of 2023, which led to many users reporting grey screens green screens and blackscreens which world of warcraft also suffered ontop of the usual driver time outs and system freezes.

The game has not been running stable on Radeon gpu’s for over 440+ days.

This game used to be very stable in 2021 not sure what Blizzard or AMD changed but they cant just ignore user reports.

They should also be compensating users properly, i purchased expansion with the idea that eventually these issues would be resolved, they did not which lead to my attitude changing if i buy a game and has issues i instantly refund it until AMD adresses the issues, cos there plenty of other games that run perfectly stable.

Its not a hardware issue either, if ran stupid amount of memtest way more any normal user would do including cpu test and other test, the issue was always world of warcraft.

Incase of rdna3 like 7900 XTX gpu’s the only thing really worth trying out is either run game in a window which most users usually do not see if that is stable this makes freesync not work or just disable freesync and make sure vsync is working via in game options rather then enforcing something from Radeon Software.
Anyway it probably wont matter at all.

Neither Blizzard or AMD should be ignoring these issues, the game probably requires fixes on both ends the driver and the game.

If Blizzard wants to test my patience they can just refund the expansion and all the subscription fee’s from the start of these issues appearing around late may 2022.

Its just stupid the amount of ignorance i get from both AMD and Blizzard, i personally do not care if its either an AMD driver issue or game issue.

If seen more succes from The Last Of Us part 1 developers their game is fully stable now and had fixes from both AMD drivers but also thru game patches, and went from 2 hour shader compiling down to 10 minutes which is even faster on linux still apparently.

If other game devs can fix these issues then so can Blizzard developers.

I have a RX 7900 XTX. It was due to driver issues that I was forced to stop playing WoW.
The worst thing is, it doesn’t look like the issue will be resolved anytime soon.
Obviously there is a problem. It doesn’t matter who is to blame Blizzard or AMD.
Until the problem exists and is not resolved, both companies will lose users.

I hope by the time 11.0 comes out, this issue will be resolved. Literally paying a bag of money for an AMD product and then not being able to play your favorite game is ridiculous.

In case the problem isn’t resolved, I’ll just have to sell my current RX 7900 XTX and upgrade to a 4080 super.
I’ll just never make the mistake of buying an AMD video card again.

2 Likes

Whenever i considering going back ignoring garbage power connector on rtx 40 series, i always read NVIDIA users having problems to, and i know cos if had them as well before i switched AMD, which is why i rather just boycot Blizzard rest of my life, they forgot how to do QA at Blizzard.
AMD does have QA but only if their QA team loves playing the games you like to play, they do not like to play wow obviously.

2 Likes

The support page is back up on AMD’s site.

Everyone, since Blizzard’s doesn’t give two s**ts about AMD users, let’s just try making AMD aware of the issue. Maybe eventually we’ll get an official stance on the issue.

Just start submitting forms to AMD explaining the issue in detail.

1 Like

What problems are you talking bout?
The last time i had a “problem” was the flickering shadows in Shadowlands expansion but that did not make the game unplayable or crash.

Since then i didn’t have any probs with neither my old 2070S back then or my new 4090.

If WoW is your main game then you want to go with Nvidia or might regret it.

Was searching r/wow for issues and it had people complaining as well but NVIDIA usually has issues with drivers to these reports are sometimes easy to find, its not always NVIDIA fault either in this case im full aware of the issues NVIDIA has with this game as well that usually come back every expansion launch, or due Microsoft fault due Microsoft MPO Multiplane Overlay feature that is on all modern gpu’s having bugs sometimes effecting overall driver stability as well in games like Google Chrome is always problematic around MPO Microsoft has a fix tho in their canary build tho for checkerboard bug, not sure if that landed on release yet.

Yeah those glitches on youtube scared me the first time with my nee GPU​:scream::joy:

Does anyone get an instant shutdown of their computer as a symptom. I never had them before and only yesterday i had 3 of them while playing WoW. Just trying to figure out if they are related to the GPU or something else

Power or temparature problems are the most common cause for shutdowns. It’s the systems way of protecting itself from damage.

1 Like

Had more driver crashes last night, crashed out discord at the same time.
Had to reload.

This is my third 7900 XTX as I have RMA’d 2 so far.

Still having issues.

1 Like