Violent Circus - Closing the Curtains

Violent Circus has never been the guild to brag about our accomplishments.

We try our best, stay humble, and we hope that some of our success is noticed by others. But since this is probably the last post we’ll ever make on behalf of the guild, a guild which we are very proud of, we’ll allow ourselves some bragging rights, and hope that we don’t sound too pretentious.

For years Violent Circus has aimed to be the 2-day raiding guild that players on Defias Brotherhood & Co aspire to join. We have killed every single boss the game has put in front of us, and we always come together to push hard, even raiding additional days, on the last bosses in time to get Cutting Edge-achievements. And through our combined efforts we have been successful every single time, and before any of the guilds we saw as our competitors.

And we take great pride in that.

But even though aspiring to be the best was what brought us together, it was never what made Violent Circus great. A lot of guilds make good progress, and achieve good realm and world ranks, but that doesn’t matter if you have a guild made up of entitled, toxic, juvenile, attention seeking people, who are only interested in how good they are. A guild is ultimately the people in it, and a guild that doesn’t care about it’s people usually falls apart. You need loyal people who care about the guild to get through the hard times.

And this is what kept us going for so long; the guild and the community we built. We tried building a guild with a heart, that cared about it’s players. A guild with a good and well organized community, with like minded people who truly cared. A guild where you could log on and say hello, and you wouldn’t be ignored. A guild that wasn’t toxic, a guild without attention whoring and drama, without vitriolic and spiteful people, where you could have a laugh after a long day at work. But at the same time a guild that would have the overall skills to compete at the highest difficulty in this game.

We also tried emphasizing this when recruiting new members, making sure we didn’t bring in people who couldn’t fit this mold, regardless of how good they were. And even though we weren’t always successful sorting out these people straight away, we did a good job overall.

It was not an easy task, but we worked hard to make this happen.
And we believe that, for a long time, we accomplished this together.
But we are sad to see that it is slowly fading away.

We have, for a long time, felt that this game no longer provides us with the incentives and rewards that makes playing, grinding and practicing worthwhile.

It is tiring fighting this uphill battle, for a cause and game that is no longer rewarding or enjoyable. We believe the state of the game has a ripple effect on all the other aspects in our community, and WoW-players in general.

When talking to people, both in and outside of the guild, we get the sense that some are just playing, not because they are driven or out of enjoyment, but because they have always done it. And to stop now would be to give up, or let the work they’ve done in the past go to waste. More and more people are quitting, getting new people is getting harder and harder, and getting exceptional players to join our guild is borderline impossible.

With all of this in mind, we will not let Violent Circus fall into ruins of a guild that was good in the past. To let it reach the point where we can’t put a raid together, or where we simply can’t defeat a boss. To be just another guild who couldn’t keep their stuff together, or manage the difficult parts that come with running a guild. To be just another guild that lost its touch, clinging to a dying dream for too long, and outstayed its welcome.

We see the guild’s heart and soul slowly fading away, and despite it being very hard decision to make, we will not have our reputation ruined because we just couldn’t let go or because we won’t admit that this place is no longer what it was, and the game is no longer worth the time we invest in it. And since we struggle to find enjoyment in the game, and we feel like this sentiment is shared among a decent amount of our guild members and a lot of WoW players worldwide, we have decided it’s time to close the curtains.

We will stop mythic raiding from today and we will stop any recruitment.
The guild will still exist, but the tag will only serve as a title or token of what was.

We started thinking about this a couple of weeks ago, but we kept going with Restless Cabal because we didn’t want all the time we spent on the boss to go to waste. So that our raiders, who still wants to find a different guild to raid with, can show them that they were one of the few who managed to kill Restless Cabal on mythic, before the patch, only raiding 2 days a week. And hopefully this will help them find a good guild that can give them what we did for the time they spent with us. And we also wanted to show the guilds on our realm, or anyone else who might care, including ourselves, that we did not stop because we couldn’t handle it, because of drama or because we were defeated by a boss.

We’re stopping because we no longer enjoy the state of the game, we see where this is heading, and we decide it is time to end it.

And we will not unfreeze the guild unless we somehow get a new drive in another expansion, and we all decide it’s time to go again. But the likelihood of that happening is very low.

Violent Circus has been the home for many of us for a long time now, and it is with a very heavy heart that we make this decision. We want to give a big thanks to all our members, for being a part of this community, and for making Violent Circus what it was and what it is.

Thank you also to everyone else on Defias Brotherhood & Co for keeping the servers alive. Thank you to all the other competing guilds who engaged in friendly competition, without any malice or contempt. And thank you to the other guilds who only helped fuel our fire. We had a lot of fun playing on Defias Brotherhood & Co, and we wish you all the best of luck in your future challenges.

And if any of our members slide into your application inbox,
we hope that you give them proper consideration.

So long…

//Violent Circus

P.S.
We intend to make a guild when Classic comes around in a couple of months.
So if not on retail, we hope to see you there!
If you’re interested in joining us, contact Xethi#7709 through Discord.

5 Likes

Awtch, best of luck for all of you guys further.
A lot of respect,
-K.

2 Likes

Really sad to hear this. Violent Circus was a guild I often checked on to see how you were doing, watched your kill videos and cheered from the sidelines at your achievements. Hope to see some of you around still!

Nana-(Team Red) Prime xxxxxx

2 Likes

On behalf of Mad from the Horde side of DB, good luck on all your new adventures whether they are in game or outside of game.

2 Likes

Thank you very much kind sir. We wish you all the best too and may your guild achieve great things in the raids to come!

ehhhhhhh…

What reputation?
VC was just another standard raid guild, that used to pvp?
Maybe???

But yeah games bad… I was thinking of subbing again for this patch but I just… can’t be bothered.

See you in classic maybe! Have a couple of close friends in VC who shall remain annonymous.

It’s been a while, years even, but I’ll always remember my time in Violent Circus fondly. My first (and arguably last) serious raiding guild, long before I knew the toxicity of Silvermoon, or the dissociation of PuGs, or even that gear mattered more than friends.

I loved you guys and, if it was a different time and a different place, I think I would have for longer. But you taught me how to play; to play with friends instead of strangers; to enjoy how ever many wipes we had together. You taught me about logs, and ranks, and simming back when simming was nerdy.

But most importantly, you showed me something I have never seen since. A guild with long late-night chats after the raid, leaders who care so much it inspires you, attention to detail, determination, and maturity. So, it’s been a while, but I’ll miss you. I’ll miss sitting around lazily on a Sunday afternoon, scrolling through logs, and poking Rayne. “I wonder how Violent Circus are doing”.

I’m sorry Azeroth changed so much. I feel it too.

3 Likes

Hi, I’ve since changed my name to something more Gnomishly suiting, but you might still remember me as Rayne.

This is truly quite the sad news to hear. When Luumikai and I joined you guys back in Legion, I hadn’t raided for quite a while (not really since Cataclysm), and being amongst your ranks felt like coming home to a raiding scene that I’ve always been a part of. Little did I know that even back then already, guilds like VC were a dying breed. Looking back, I should have appreciated it more.

Not since leaving you guys, have we encountered anything remotely like it. Most mythic aiming guilds are infested with toxic elitism, inside-competition, and overall general misery. And sadly enough, the guild spirit of normal/heroic guilds seems to have gone the way of the dodo with the introduction of flex raiding, where the path of least resistance in the eye of recruitment troubles always seems to be solved with the ‘lets get more high ilvl pugs’ mentality.

I really want to thank all of you guys for giving us the opportunity to raid with you. You set a standard that we held every future guild up to, and regretfully not one of them has lived up to it.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words, to both of you. It was a very hard decision and I am still not over it myself, but all good things must come to an end. Maybe if things change, we may still make a return and you guys can join us again :). Best of luck!

Thanks for the good times in legion an before guys and gals, VC was a great guild.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.