Void, Torture and a thumbs up from the Light (novel spoilers)

My bad, it’s heartbreaking indeed. Give me some time to recover please !

Go Alleria and Turalyon go Dark Baras on those schmuck until their brain become liquified !

The horde is doing none of those things since Sylvanas and all her loyalists are no longer part of the Horde. But go ahead and continue your one sided ranting over things that aren’t even part of the topic. “Elaria”

1 Like

The Horde did it all under Sylvanas’ name and they supported everything she did until she abandoned all of them. Her loyalists are still in the Horde and the Horde never tried to make up for or fix their crimes

Getting betrayed doesn’t absolve you of your crimes, “Erevien”.

6 Likes

Her loyalists are in chains and get paraded around in Orgrimmar. So please screw off and stop making things up that aren’t true. Be happy that Tyrande is hunting down Sylvanas like every sensable person does at the moment.

Their crimes do not disspear because of that. I feel no pity for a faction that willingly followed a monster until she left them, and until Teldrassil is repaid in full, I feel no pity for any member of the horde.

4 Likes

I just wish they tortured actual war criminals. Like, you know, those Undead during the Battle for Lordaeron that were spraying the plague on both Alliance and Horde soldiers. Or maybe take some of the more decorated orcish ‘war heroes’ and fiddle around in their primitive brain. You can even kill them afterwards - you’d be doing Azeroth a favor.

Torturing women and washed-up smugglers is neither effective nor productive. They basically wasted their time trying to look evil.

1 Like

Not true, only those that didn’t pretend to change their minds. Also it’s highly hypocritical considering that the whole Horde was to blame.

Yea I’ll be happy about Tyrande dying and Sylvanas screaming “The Shadowlands are free” at the end of the expansion.

No thanks, show me that they can write a decent non biased story that doesn’t glorify genocide, then we can talk.

3 Likes

Regarding that torture part, I can understand Alleria, but Mr. holier-than-thou Turalyon? Or is it that just Alleria has a go and he just stands there and watches saying nothing? And do remind me about torturing orcs, because frankly I can’t recall that.

And Anduin… well, about time he dropped some balls.

As the novel goes, Turalyon does have quite the mindset of “whatever it takes”. And yes, while Alleria tortures using the Void, he held the prisoner fixed in place with Light chains.

In other instances he was shown rather willing to order a full-scale invasion of Zandalar. And didn’t seem to care at all about the armistice.

1 Like

Turalyons was doing that waay back in his past, he was using Light in this exact way.
And He was fighting next to Lightforged who also were no shy to use light in more “liberated way”, - Enaara was using light in offensive manner and judging from her text in BfA she is also using light for torture.

1 Like

@Zarao @Zakkaru
Thanks. What can I say? Sounds so “light” metal.

Get it? Light. Heheheh.

Ugh…

2 Likes

Well, certainly doesn’t sound as if Turalyon could be called “Lawful Good”. If he has always been like that or if that is a recent change to make the Alliance more edgy actually isn’t what I am personally worried about.

But I am kinda worried about how they are dragging down the Light along with the Alliance. Yes, they don’t want to have Light=Good anymore, I get that. And I think they already sufficiently made that point with Scarlets, Xe’ra, and alternate Draenor, and will continue to make it. But they always took care to make even the evil users of the Light convinced that they were doing good. That’s how it worked, a Light user doubting himself or the morality of his cause lost the conviction needed to cast it. And that’s an important distinguishing feature of the Light I don’t want to lose, because removing that threatens to make a different cosmic power into nothing more than a different spell color scheme.

We don’t have many Light users of prominence left. Anduin, Turalyon, Velen, Liadrin and Yrel are probably the most important ones left. If Turalyon and Anduin think torturing civilians for information and leaving them traumatizes is not just a necessary, but the right thing to do, that makes them fanatics. Yrel certainly is one. LIadrin hasn’t had much character moments, but her involvement in the fourth war on Team Sylvanas makes her seem like a part of the “ends justify the means” crowd as well. That leaves… Velen, who has been shown to be struggling with his faith since Legion.

I guess it didn’t have to be Turalyon who is a shining example of what the lawful good paladin archetype actually is. But I have to say, when they brought him back from the dead while all the original paladins of note were gone, I fell for the expectation that he would be. So I am a bit disappointed that he just seems to be another dick.

Well… no use crying over it, but I do hope they start noticing that by now the Light is beginning to seem not just “not entirely good”, but is beginning to feel downright sinister, and casting suspicion on anyone who uses it - possibly even more than the frickin void. But if they do… it’s easy enough to fix it. Just promote some Light users from B and C tiers of characters to some more spotlight, and make them closer to the good people I want to see. I guess Faol and Wyrmbane might be on the top of the list of characters that could be used here without too much of a problem.

But for that they would first have to actually take on the moral implications of characters like Anduin condoning the behaviour discussed here, and what that says about the kind of faith he has. And I kinda doubt that will happen. I mostly expect Anduin to be back to the Golden boy who can’t do wrong we usually see. The bad stuff might stick to Turalyon, though, if they actually make a conflict plot between him and Genn. I guess we’ll see.

1 Like

I think that Blizzard feels that in order to drill their message and make the audience leave behind the preconceived ideas that set two distinct camps for Light and Void, they decided to go for the overkill.

Maybe the new approach they are aiming for is about the “Grey Jedi” applied as in, balance or bust.

StarWars is a terrible example for that, because balance is defined as the absence of force abusers, aka Sith. :wink:

But I get your point… and I would totally hate that. I mean… it would actually create an objective morality for WoW, wouldn’t it? What upsets the balance is wrong, what helps it is good, no matter how cruel or distasteful. The Light was a nice concept, because it left the content of morality to people, and their whims. But a cosmic truth about balance would make a priest, who is just focused on doing good, helping people and preventing evil to a threat that has to be countered. For moral reasons we now need someone to be an evil, sadistic void caster to cancel him out.

That sounds a lot more restrictive to me than just having different powers that react to different things.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, I guess I will always have to call her that now :rofl:

In Turalyon’s defense, he is clearly not fine with torturing civilians, at least at first.
When Alleria offers to use her void powers to make the refugees talk, he asks her for a “chance to pursue this the right way” first. “Let’s not forget who we are and what separates our principles from Sylvanas and her ilk”.
It is only after an hour of fruitless questioning and bribing that he gives up and allows his wife to do to the orc mother what she then does. And even then he raises doubts and concerns about her methods.
And heals the woman afterwards.

But yeah, the combined void-light-interrogation method, questionable as it may be, gets the job done and they use it again on the smuggler.

I read it by now, and it certainly didn’t lessen my worries. But it did seem more likely that Roux just let him cast Light while having doubts than him being totally certain about it, I guess. I’m not sure if that’s better or worse. But the Alleria/Turalyon team was certainly meant to sound very, very hardcore here. And Jaina didn’t mince words when telling Anduin, and said that the void use seemed “unspeakably painful”. Either they are prepping Turalyon for “moral grayness” that usually ends on a loot table, next to his wife, or this is a Roux-thing that they will totally ignore after this novel. Both is bad. And no matter how it is meant, it does mess with the perception of the Light.

1 Like

It was disgusting to read. And no, “the horde did worse” doesn’t make it any less of a crime. It’s okay, Alliance will have a taste of this “spotlight” the Horde has been having for a while. Enjoy, it’s a sour meal.

3 Likes

I agree that it’s certainly some rough stuff, but the author also tells us like 10 times how they don’t really want to do this and that it will probably haunt them forever etc etc
It would be interesting to see the alliance continue down this road, until they eventually don’t even feel bad about doing things like that anymore.

But I don’t think that’s very likely to happen.

1 Like

Sure, but why is that relevant at all? They still do it and justify doing it.

1 Like

Because it implies that they are still the good guys because they feel bad about doing bad things?