Want to Give Roleplaying in WOW a Shot

Just go through this forum and try to find a guild that sounds interesting to you then contact them in game with either /who “guild name” or try to speak to the GM directly both will work

I say it’s 100% important to join a guild as your first step into the RP world

4 Likes

No, no of course! I wouldn’t blame you for that or taking long (For God’s sake, you’re taking time out of your day to help me, far from me to complain), in fact it’s commendable to go to such lengths.

1 Like

:blush: Have fun in Argent Dawn.

4 Likes

Another good idea is to try out public events and content. Some may not always suit you, but there’s listings regularly on this forum, or on a website called Argent Archives, which is a roleplaying information hub.

https://www.argentarchives.org/

But everyone else is right. You can get by without a guild, but it’s a lot harder. There’s plenty of great ones out there so don’t worry about taking your time.

6 Likes

Hi! I’ve dipped my toes into forum RP before, and the key difference is that everything is a lot more intuitive and faster- and shorter, going by the forum RP I’ve done a while back. I think just about any character/race can fit you just fine, I think you might have a vague idea of some racial/class themes through playing the game as is, though- so, honestly, just go by what feels right for you lore-wise.

Hope you have a great time with this different brand of roleplay, though! :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome to Argent Dawn and WoW RP!
Some really good advice by some really neat people has been given so far. There’s a lot of great guilds around, which can be a good way to get started in RP, but you can also often find RP on your own.
You can also check out RP events here: Calendar: Upcoming Events ✨

Hope you have fun!

4 Likes

Good to know I’m so apreciated by the comunity.

2 Likes

Welcome to AD and RP. Quick summary of tips I can give you…

• argentarchives. org is a thing. Great place to check out community events, guilds and make an appealing profile for your own character.

• Use an RP add-on. I highly recommend Total Roleplay 3: Extended. But there are other options available. This lets you customize your character, add a backstory, full name, loads of other stuff that other players also get to see.

• Often guilds do recruitment on the forum here (including my own) so keep an eye out for those if you struggle to find a community you fit in!

• Avoid DKs or DHs as your first character. A lot of guilds don’t take them because they’re too powerful and they’re too emo / edgy to really lend themselves to easy walk-up RP

Hope this helps! Enjoy your stay on AD and may you find plenty of fun people to play with.

4 Likes

Fixed it for you - add a `infront and behind your link and it’ll be shown like that.

Oooh, that’s good to know. Don’t use the forums myself that often. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful tips and support you’re giving me! It’s really making me feel welcome :smiley: I’ll probably get my subscription tomorrow or Sunday, maybe I’ll get that add-on too depending on how much weight it would have on my PC.

I hope you all have a wonderful day or night!

8 Likes

It won’t have much, i assure you, I have other addons thou not necessary help a lot, misspeled , it’s like a addon that scans your words for errors and presents solutions, the errors will appear in gray, and cross rp, it allows to see trps cross faction.

edit: also have a good night, this is your good neightbor Zag signing out for the day.

2 Likes

Another recommendation for add ons to help with Rp are Listener and Snooper. As previously stated wow rp can be a lot faster than forum rp and sometimes when there are a lot of people it can be hard to follow what is going on and intimidating.

Listener means you get a separate chat box where you can add in peoples names so they are focused in that box to make it easier to keep up with who you are talking to and snooper means that when you target a person you can see all the messages that person said specifically.

It’s very very helpful and can alleviate a lot of stress when a lot of people are around.

5 Likes

Oh thank you! I didn’t even know these existed. I often avoid large RP events because I can’t keep up :sob:

Question regarding the argent dawn archives, does one create an account there for each character they use?

Edit: Also, how do I go about installing that TRP3 add-on?

Have you searched addons on google? If just right click the file, extract then search the wow file, hit retail then interface, then addons and dragged the extracted files to addons.

edit: As for argent archives, I don’t use them very often and only have one profile there thou I haven’t updated it in ages.

I don’t see a “retail” button anywhere?

Welcome to Argent Dawn, Muzzle!

Zagkush is referring to the installation destination :slight_smile: Be sure to install the addon in \World of Warcraft\_retail_ and not in _Classic_. You’ll get two folders, one called totalRP3 and one called totalRP3_Data. (I have tons of others but this is the only one you’ll really need for RP.)

Install TRP3 in \World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\AddOns

If this is problematic you can just remove the TRP3 files you downloaded from the website, and instead use the addon manager integrated in Twitch. It’s very easy that way to get addons and keep them up to date so I’d recommend that.
You can get TRP3, Listener (including Snooper, they are not separate addons), and pretty much everything else as one-click-install addons from the Twitch WoW addons library.

^ Twitch addon manager interface

^ The glorious Snooper window of the Listener addon

Note also that you can configure your regular chatbox to stop showing you NPC chat or put it into a separate tab so the NPCs don’t spam away your RP interaction.
You can also create additional chatbox tabs so you can easily toggle between everything, or G chat only, or RP only, or a list of recently looted items, etc. Click here for a chatbox configuration guide.

^ Untick all the Creature Messages boxes for an NPC-proof chatbox

One addon that hasn’t been mentioned yet but that will probably make things easier for you and others reading along: WIM (Wow Instant Messenger).
It takes whispers out of your main chatbox and into separate little boxes that you can easily close and re-open. I used to constantly forget names or spend ages scrolling so this is a godsend for me, especially as a DM.

^ WoW Instant Messenger

Finally, lemme highlight this useful comment that was mentioned by Lintian above.

Check out the full reply and in particular the Guide to roleplay for newcomers - #16.

Again, welcome aboard Muzzle and if you’ve any more questions, go right ahead!

EDIT:

Yes, unfortunately. They do it to make it impossible for others to track your alts, I suppose.

9 Likes

Thank you very much for all the wonderful answers and suggestions!

After a failed attempting at installing the add-on directly, I decided to try the twitch approach and it seems to have worked! Currently exploring the add-on. My subscription appears to be “pending”, which is a little worrying considering this is my first time using my card to pay for anything online and I really hope I didn’t accidentally give any wrong information…

Yes, unfortunately. They do it to make it impossible for others to track your alts, I suppose.

That’s fine then. Just wanted to be sure.

4 Likes

Looking forward to see you in argent dawn for some rp if youd like ofc.

1 Like