Want to start RPing but feel lost/unsure/anxious? I'll introduce you!

This is a lovely idea! And to those who want to get into RP, indeed, your best bet is to jump in and explore!

I’d be happy to lend a hand to anyone who might want to learn the basics, I’ve helped some other folks in the past so I’m used to explaining all the odd little tid bits us RPers have. <3

2 Likes

Why does Argent Dawn not have a thread for RP mentors and a clean and clear list of genre discords for races/cities/etc …? The stickies are either old or just text walls.

“Upcoming Events” is locked and is not being removed. Shouldn’t clarity and quality over quantity be better? Where I come from we had three stickies: RP guides and info links to important threads, an event thread and a guild thread.

Helps newcomers to not feel lost.

8 Likes

This is an awesome idea!

I truly hope you can help many new RPers!

(And hey, i’d be happy to lend a helping hand.)

1 Like

You can’t request sticky to threads anymore as far as I’m aware, otherwise a thread dedicated to roleplay guides, advice, communities, threads and so on would be rather nifty.

Hi! I only made my character yesterday after my own forum thread asking for help. I will totally add you to btag today but having just started a nursing degree I am quite busy so I don’t know when I would have time to give a scenario a go.

I’ve already put a little in my TRP3 addon about my character ‘Eri’ Eristrai and her bird companion Beak. Though I have kept it very basic. Would be happy to add to it with a bit more confidence.

4 Likes

You can request it for sure, see:

2 Likes

A marvellous idea!

My guild and I welcome new role players. We would be glad to help anyone that wants to try RP and are unsure about how to start.

4 Likes

Fair dos, well it’d be great to see a thread stickied up for it either way. One that doesn’t really rely on the OP either to update as people come and go.

You can add my name to the lists of mentors volunteers, and well, you know my discord/btag already.

2 Likes

Add my name down to list of teacher/ mentor :slight_smile:
Happy to show the ropes, seen both Alliance and Horde sides of things so like to think I can be of help to newer RPers

2 Likes

Would it be an idea to use the Community feature or create a Discord that is solely used to create a beginner-friendly space for RP’ers? A place where people can join to either help out or ask questions. Somewhere people can mentor and be mentored? A post with the details on how to join either could be pinned in on the forums or something I don’t know, just tossing it out there.

1 Like

There are threads on various racial Discords on the forums, however blues wont sticky those as they cannot moderate what goes on in those Discords

1 Like

Yeah basically agree that a lot of the current stickies should be removed / replaced with that kind of stuff

I’ve got a list of AD / RP discords in my one but it’s only really a side topic there / not a post many people would go to to look for discords based on the name etc

1 Like

To be honest, as a brand new RP’er, I haven’t found any of the linked discord in your post to be right for the job for new players. The general AD one doesn’t have a new RP section and tbh the discord itself doesn’t feel very friendly/open IMO as somebody who doesn’t already know people on the server.

The racial ones being smaller I guess could be a bit more accessible, but as they are targeted at only a single race it doesn’t feel like the right place to ask general RP stuff on a whole.

Of course my first impressions could be completely off the mark but they are just that, first impressions and the impressions which tend to stick around the most.

The general discord has an RP channel that people use to ask about RP stuff but if it isn’t to your taste I don’t mind listing some specific beginner RP discord there if someone wants to make that also

2 Likes

I think it would be good for new RP’ers in general to have a channel or discord to have a safe space to ask questions which they may feel are “stupid” to more experienced role players. I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question but not everyone thinks that way. Even though I am engaging on the forums and I reached out for help myself, I don’t feel overly comfortable with the idea of RP yet. I’m very much using the excuse that I need to level a bit first as a way to avoid approaching, or being approached by, a stranger! I have applied and joined raiding guilds top 200 in the world without batting an eye. The thought of applying to a casual friendly guild for RP purposes? Frightened beyond belief!

A dedicated channel or such would be a good place to link an FAQ of sorts, racial discords, and only people wanting to help can engage while those who don’t want to help don’t have to be “hassled” with the endless questions. Guilds who are open to brand new role players could also be listed there in a collective forum thread or google doc. It’s a bit daunting going through argent archives, especially when there’s guilds who may be open to fresh faced newbies but their stuff is so well put together that it feels too advanced for anyone like myself. Just as there are guilds who only want experienced role players, you have to filter through all of them too.

I wont pretend that this could be a fair amount of work to keep newbie friendly information up to date, and maybe it’s asking too much. I don’t know how many new RPers you get that are in a similar situation to me, with no D&D experience or anything. It doesn’t change the fact though that I personally think it would be nice to have.

3 Likes

Look at all this response! Thanks so much everyone who’s commented, contacted me, and expressed their support so far.

The opening post now has a lil’ list of kind folks who you can get in touch with. If any of you would like additional contact info listed, or to be delisted, I’ll do so. Will keep it up to date as we go on.

All in all I’m really glad I made this thread. If I can help even a single person then it’s all worth it.

I hoped you would :smiley: Looking forward! Good luck with the degree by the way.

I considered this too but decided against it because I thought it might feel daunting. Like, if you’re not really sure about the whole RP thing and you think everyone else is going to look at you weirdly for making beginner mistakes (They won’t), you may feel discouraged if you have to jump through all sorts of hoops or commit to membership before you can even talk to somebody. Also not everyone uses discord and I don’t want to make people feel excluded.

However.
Eristrai here shows us a different perspective and I think there may be many more who feel the way they do.

Would you people like a discord along those lines? I’d be quite happy to set it up.

1 Like

“You people”?!

But as I mentioned above, even if it’s just a channel on a discord it would be helpful. I don’t know if a discord on it’s own would be worth the upkeep as I don’t know how many new people you get. If you get a fair few then an individual discord could be nice. Those of us who are new could eventually become teachers.

And thanks! First day of classes started today so it’s all going forward. Going to be hard work but it’ll be worth it in the end.

1 Like

Maybe a new-to-RP channel could be made in AD/D? Pretty please

Personally I just generally feel like forum posts get either side-tracked by off-topic comments or buried, but I think you should do what you feel is right. You certainly have more experience with all of this than I have

1 Like