Want to start RPing but feel lost/unsure/anxious? I'll introduce you!

Would you like to be introduced to RP by doing a test run of sorts, together with someone who can show you the ropes?

Originally wrote this for one player but I’m extending the offer to all shy folks!

Walk-up Roleplay on Argent Dawn is almost entirely unscripted, which is fun because it’s spontaneous and unexpected things can happen. But sometimes that same freedom can leave you feeling unsure of how to start or how to randomly approach somebody, and you end up not doing anything at all.

My suggestion & invitation is that you team up with a more experienced RPer (like me! I’d love to do this!) for 1 evening, and together you create:

• two characters
  • a simple background setting
  • a small mission/objective.

For instance: we’ll roleplay two clerics from Northshire being sent to Stormwind to buy the Abbot a birthday gift, but they don’t really know what to get him, so they’ve decided to go browse around.

Your more experienced companion is a friendly and helpful RPer who will guide you through the process of:

1. creating a beginner-suitable character,
  2. showing you the technical aspects of RP such as how to write emotes,
  3. answering any questions you may have about RP and etiquette etc.

Then you’re off together on your mini mission, during which you’ll be interacting with each other and with strangers alike.

If at any point you don’t know what to do or say, you can poke your companion privately, in /whisper or party chat, and they can shoot some advice or reassurance your way.

I picture it would go something like this (click to expand!)

Preparation
The first part takes place OOC (out of character) because before we can dive into RP, we have to establish some basic things about our characters’ personalities. Your companion (maybe myself, maybe another volunteer) will be creating a new character for this just so we’re on even grounds.

First, we set you up with a roleplay addon if you don’t have one already. We fill in a profile with the basic attributes such as height, age, body type and other appearance stuff.

Next, we craft a quick backstory and personality.

Sticking with the clerics example – they are both in the Clergy, and spend their days at Northshire praying and working. But that doesn’t mean they have to be similar! Maybe yours is 30 years older or younger than mine. One might be a novice and the other an old priest who’s seen it all. They may be very good friends or hardly know one another.
As for the personalities – how about someone curious, easily impressed & shy, or perhaps sarcastic, quickly amused & outgoing? Or something else entirely? What would you like to play? Pick any attributes you like and that you think will come easily to you. Your more experienced companion can advise you, and will create a character that’ll mesh well with yours.

Going to Stormwind
On the way out from Northshire the two characters can chat together.

(If it feels awkward that’s totally all right – it’s just you and someone who’s understanding and eager to get you comfortable with the improv-acting that is RP. We were all new one day. It’s no issue at all if you make any mistakes.)

Once you’re in Stormwind, actual shopping is done with emotes. When you want to interact with a shopkeeper NPC, your companion can easily take on the additional role of shopkeeper NPCs and handle their dialogue.
The most fun thing about going from shop to shop however is that lots of unscripted and interesting things may happen in the streets.

• Maybe we stumble upon an ongoing fight! What do our characters do?
  • We might happen to see a death knight threatening somebody, causing our clerics to argue about whether we should intervene or not.
  • Or someone asks us for instructions on how to get somewhere, and we aren’t exactly sure either but we got lots of time, so we accompany her to the place she wants to go.
  • Or your cleric wants to drop by the graveyard to say a prayer.
  • Or my cleric suddenly remembers that his/her sister wants a candle from the Cathedral, so we go inside to buy or ask for one.
  • At the Cathedral some wounded character might stumble in, asking for mending. Are our clerics up to the challenge, or do we send them on to a local priest?

Wrapping up
The mission stays the same throughout the evening, so if you’ve had enough of a particular interaction and you’d like to move on, your cleric can simply remind the other by saying: “Well, let’s go to another shop/district” or “Let’s go home, it’s getting late.”

We’ll stay in a party the whole time, so we can comment on things OOC, like if you feel unsure on how to react to something. Or just to laugh if something funny occurs.

When we’ve had enough of Stormwind, and when we’ve bought a birthday gift (or failed to), we walk back to Northshire and then we part ways. The curtains drop. You did your first RP!

This would all take place in a single RP session of 1-2 hours in the evening. I think it’ll be a fun and safe way to ‘try on’ a character and a RP personality. Not a super complicated quest, but way more fun than purposelessly wandering or sitting around alone. Other scenarios than gift-shopping clerics are fine too. And you don’t have to keep the character we created for the scenario, unless you want to.

So, future RPers!
If you think it sounds fun and you’d like to give it a try (even if you’re a bit anxious) just say the word and we can get rolling with this or any other scenario we come up with.
You can reply here, or send a whisper or mail in-game to Firelle (Horde) or Ardes (Alliance), or add my battletag (Morea#2390) or discord (Morea#8101).
(Keep in mind that the /who function is currently not working right, so just try directly whispering who you’re looking for)

Fellow volunteers:
I love hanging out with new RPers and showing 'em the ropes, so I’m up for this kind of thing any time, but I’m FAR from the only one who likes to teach and help new folks. Any experienced RPers who are reading along and would like to get in on this, just drop a comment or get in touch otherwise and I’ll add your name to this post.

Feel free to contact any of these people who've offered to help you out!

Ercia’s discord: FuseCraft#5169

Brìde’s discord: Enougu#0619

Zagkush’ discord: Zagkush#7584

Thodim’s discord: Thodim#1003, in-game name also Thodim

Telaryn’s discord: Dodger#6969

Kump’s discord: Allennicus#8393

Thanks for reading!

66 Likes

what have you got to lose, OOCers or shy RPers of AD? it’s free. don’t knock rp until you try it, especially with the company of a good rper like Firelle here

:cowboy_hat_face: :smoking:

12 Likes

This seems like a really nice idea, I don’t have the confidence to help out, unfortunately, even after two and a half years of RPing I still struggle to actually do walkups because we love anxiety right?

Hopefully this gains some legitimate traction and works out well, gets us some more people getting into things! Good luck!

2 Likes

Would you like to RP with me?
Can be on your main (and my main if they aren’t sworn enemies) if you’d prefer that over a new character.

:100:% right, I think basically everybody loves to be walked up to (especially if they are alone), but not everyone does the walking up. Even if they want to. I hope this helps at least a bit.

also @Invader cheers m’dears :blush:

2 Likes

Nice initiative. I’d be glad to help out, even if only as just someone to talk to for second opinions about anything RP related.
I think a trap a lot of new RPers fall into isn’t just about nerves or anxiety for doing it “right”, though I can definitely remember that being part of it. The other side to the coin is playing out a character that makes it hard to justify walk-ups at all.

As a dramatic example, in order to play out the cool silent hooded lone wolf with the mysterious, enigmatic vibes of a brilliant backstory just waiting to unfold, that’ll often mean standing about not talking or interacting with anyone, since that’s what your character would do. Then when you find yourself relying on other people to find you interesting and engage you, you can’t break the cycle, because initiating any sort of conversation or interaction yourself might feel like you’re forcing your character to behave unlike they would.

I had a criminal character and could just go up to anyone I wanted, try to steal from them, and see how it played out. Obviously I’m not advocating that being a criminal who attacks people is the ideal way to learn RP, but it taught me a lot about finding reasons to interact with random people, and make use of the RP hooks people give you.

If a character was reading a book, for example… Level 1 is just to ask about what they’re reading. Level 2 is to take it a step further, and ask if they have a recommendation on a certain subject or genre. Keep the conversation flowing - Level 3, turn the RP away from it just being about the book, but keep it relevant. Maybe your character got stung by a weird flower in an exotic location. Maybe you just made that up on the spot. Doesn’t matter! Talk about that!

Then, Level 4 maybe your character can have an accident - they cast a spell wrong, drop a potion or drink on the book and potentially ruin it. Or perhaps this is the first thing that happens if your character isn’t much of a book-worm enough to start the interaction as above!

Cue whatever follows - maybe that book was important, valuable. Maybe promising to replace it somehow and your character suddenly has a reason to repeatedly interact with this character in the form of doing favours, and you have yourself the makings for future RP shenanigans and maybe a friend!

Or, perhaps unfortunately, the player just magically summons another book, none of that mattered, and they go back to reading like nothing happened. Maybe they never felt like responding much at all. RP is a co-op activity, and it’s give-and-take, some not so giving. Don’t be disheartened! Not everyone you meet will become someone you or your character “click” with.

5 Likes

You’ve literally got nothing to lose for those of you that have ever been midly interested in roleplay or are just to shy to approach others. I hope that more and more people get involved showing the ropes to any potential newcomers, it’s always great to see more stories and roleplay being brought into Argent Dawn. It makes the world feel more alive and interactive. I know I’ll try do so when I’m able too!

2 Likes

This is a lovely idea! And to those who want to get into RP, indeed, your best bet is to jump in and explore!

I’d be happy to lend a hand to anyone who might want to learn the basics, I’ve helped some other folks in the past so I’m used to explaining all the odd little tid bits us RPers have. <3

2 Likes

Why does Argent Dawn not have a thread for RP mentors and a clean and clear list of genre discords for races/cities/etc …? The stickies are either old or just text walls.

“Upcoming Events” is locked and is not being removed. Shouldn’t clarity and quality over quantity be better? Where I come from we had three stickies: RP guides and info links to important threads, an event thread and a guild thread.

Helps newcomers to not feel lost.

8 Likes

This is an awesome idea!

I truly hope you can help many new RPers!

(And hey, i’d be happy to lend a helping hand.)

1 Like

You can’t request sticky to threads anymore as far as I’m aware, otherwise a thread dedicated to roleplay guides, advice, communities, threads and so on would be rather nifty.

Hi! I only made my character yesterday after my own forum thread asking for help. I will totally add you to btag today but having just started a nursing degree I am quite busy so I don’t know when I would have time to give a scenario a go.

I’ve already put a little in my TRP3 addon about my character ‘Eri’ Eristrai and her bird companion Beak. Though I have kept it very basic. Would be happy to add to it with a bit more confidence.

4 Likes

You can request it for sure, see:

2 Likes

A marvellous idea!

My guild and I welcome new role players. We would be glad to help anyone that wants to try RP and are unsure about how to start.

4 Likes

Fair dos, well it’d be great to see a thread stickied up for it either way. One that doesn’t really rely on the OP either to update as people come and go.

You can add my name to the lists of mentors volunteers, and well, you know my discord/btag already.

2 Likes

Add my name down to list of teacher/ mentor :slight_smile:
Happy to show the ropes, seen both Alliance and Horde sides of things so like to think I can be of help to newer RPers

2 Likes

Would it be an idea to use the Community feature or create a Discord that is solely used to create a beginner-friendly space for RP’ers? A place where people can join to either help out or ask questions. Somewhere people can mentor and be mentored? A post with the details on how to join either could be pinned in on the forums or something I don’t know, just tossing it out there.

1 Like

There are threads on various racial Discords on the forums, however blues wont sticky those as they cannot moderate what goes on in those Discords

1 Like

Yeah basically agree that a lot of the current stickies should be removed / replaced with that kind of stuff

I’ve got a list of AD / RP discords in my one but it’s only really a side topic there / not a post many people would go to to look for discords based on the name etc

1 Like

To be honest, as a brand new RP’er, I haven’t found any of the linked discord in your post to be right for the job for new players. The general AD one doesn’t have a new RP section and tbh the discord itself doesn’t feel very friendly/open IMO as somebody who doesn’t already know people on the server.

The racial ones being smaller I guess could be a bit more accessible, but as they are targeted at only a single race it doesn’t feel like the right place to ask general RP stuff on a whole.

Of course my first impressions could be completely off the mark but they are just that, first impressions and the impressions which tend to stick around the most.