War Mode is broken and needs to be more dynamic

I absolutely refuse to believe that they are monitoring player numbers correctly. How is this not measured by a zone basis already?

Probably because it would require a lot of server resources to check it every time each player on each shard enters or leaves the zone and/or switches shards, and adjust bonus accordingly.

A Lot less heavy and laggy just to check stats/metric of active War Modes for the past week and condition for % and quest to set for next week.

1 Like

I seem to always bring Guild Wars 2 in as an example but, they have systems in place that grant buffs based on being outnumbered in a WvW (think mega battleground) map.

Why can’t Blizzard? If it’s the Shards again, the on joy
 another reason they are awful!

Imbalance in a zone is part of the fun. Balance in the region is needed for shard balancing, reducing need for overflow shards. The outnumbered rewards must be based on region numbers to achieve that. If based on zone numbers, no effect on region balance. Since region balance has improved, it’s achieving its goal.

Zone imbalance, caused by player distribution, lfg effect, motivations - is dynamic, and counterable. Maybe not as easy to counter during aoo+assault for example, but it’s all part of dynamic conflict.

1 Like

yeah but then its rather dumb having a quest about fighting over whelming odds when your the larger faction on a shard.

1 Like

It gives us an interesting event, a spike in conflict, something to retaliate against.

Bounties get created in the Alliance groups, an opportunity for Horde to get their daily loot. Horde are perfectly capable, I’ve seen em phase in with large coordinated groups to nab bounty, and some fun wpvp happens against uncoordinated Alliance parties.

What Horde may not realize
 these parties are easily dissolved, I find Alliance aoo questers will often give up after one death. Then suddenly barely any Alliance. Try it, fun times.

It’s the solo Horde players that really suffer. Their choice. I see solo Horde stand right next to their pals, keeping on with quest, while their pal dies, then they die. It’s a multiplayer game. Group up, wipe the Alliance, dominate the area. Naming your group “Zone Honor Farm” has a good chance to form a stable raid, players that expect longer session of wpvp. You will have a good supply of victims. This is wpvp, not getting a quest done, conflict!

Aoo is just a mechanism, temporary excess Alliance on a shard hopefully reduces the numbers of Horde that are not really interested in wpvp. When aoo is over, Alliance goes back to normal, and in theory a few Horde less in wm. With each pass at aoo, could achieve region balance. If not, region balance is at least closer and easier for Blizz to avoid overflow shards.

1 Like

Having a quest is a result of being outnumbered overall in a previous week. And in current week - it’s used as an incentive to skew population balance the other way. It’s working, so not really dumb.

The dumb part of this system, is that it’s not focused on WPvP and rewards for doing it, but rather on appealing to everyone possible in a cheapest/easiest/dirty manner.

1 Like

erm, its not working, thats why when its gone the alliance numbers slump again.

Outnumbered bonus started at 30%, now it’s at 20%, so faction balance is closer. Each time aoo pops, a spike in Alliance. After aoo, those extra Alliance wm off is less important, than a % of Horde pve’ers keeping wm off permantly, potentially bring us to 10% after many passes.

That’s the theory, time will tell if goal is achieved. But with faction balance in region closer, it is ‘working’, but it just hasn’t ‘worked’ to achieve equality
 yet.

1 Like

no, those horde pvers left ages ago. its just alliance turning off warmode causing the fluctuation now, and its happened multible timess now so why cant you accept it?

this fluctuation is an indicator of it’s working. I get it, you don’t like how it’s working, I’m right there with you one that one, but for different reasons probably, hehe.

And, no, horde pvers didn’t left. Every time I play there is a lot of those who just stand and emote doing nothing when you attack them in 1v1, or just try to run away till they die without any type of fighting back, or my personal favorites - they CC you and go agro quest mob trying to finish the WQ before they die.

1 Like

could be a bad match up, I know I dont bother fighting palidans when playing a warrior so just run away.

and yeah it clearly isnt working as a good chunk of alliance leave once AOO is off while horde just tougth through it, those are the people blizzard should be rewarding not the people that turn warmode off.

No. It gives YOU an interesting event. You like it. That’s fine. But stop talking on behalf of all players.

1 Like

That’s wpvp, the design is for multiplayer fights. You can try solo play, that’s fun too, but it’s a multiplayer game. I only speak for myself, but that is the game design. Any faction can be very outnumbered depending on the shard we happen to be on. Grouping up and fighting back is a big part of wm. Both factions can group up, non issue.

Plenty Horde pveers wm off during aoo, then come back again when aoo gone. I see em all the time on every shard, but more so when no aoo. They are the jumper/emoters. They are the issue. Where are they to help you during aoo? Then after aoo, they wm back on for bonus, triggering aoo again. Then, back to wm off they go. Sure some Alliance wm off when no aoo. But without these excess Horde pveers, Alliance would not get aoo, prob solved.

Horde can fight back, no reason why not
 I’ve seen Horde groups swoop in, they are perfectly capable of retaliation, that’s wpvp. The incentive for them is collecting bounties, and to wipe Alliance. It almost makes me want to switch to Horde lol, but nah.

1 Like

that old retoric, no its not horde pvers thats the problem its that alliance just dont want to do warmode without intensives, thats why they turn off once AOO is gone, no reward, even playing field, nope they dont want that so they leave.

It’s both.

That is by design the function of this %+AOO system - incentivise turning it off on one side, and turning it on on another. And that is where the problem is - it doesn’t account for what type of players or players with what intent are using it.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be possible to do the AOO quest even in a group. That will reveal the dedicated players and filter out all the rubbish ones + I bet it will have some impact on the faction balancing.

1 Like

We’ve not had enough passes at aoo to really know what’s happening for sure.

Aoo going from a longer period being down, to a shorter period down, could well mean that a sizeable chunk of the pve Horde that will perma turn off wm, have already done so.

But there is prob a remaining amount of more stubborn excess pve Horde, that keep it on during aoo, or turn it back on after aoo gone. Yes, when aoo is down, a chunk of Alliance wm off. But there is a general imbalance between the wm pve players on each faction in the region. Excess Horde pve players are not required in wm, they gotta go.

There’s been lots of suggestions, all have pros and cons and may not affect region balance. Aoo has pros and cons, and has affected region balance.

Aoo could potentially work for rebalance if not doable in a group, but maybe not to the degree required. As it is, with aoo parties we are not getting Alliance to 10% yet. So, maybe if only doable solo, the effect would be less than in party.

They should have kept it doable in raid, a second or third aoo with that could have taken us to 10%. Then once at 10%, switch to party or solo aoo as a balance maintenance system.

The decision to make it parties only, instead of raid, was prob a server performance issue, rather than to help Horde. Lag was much more noticable that week that aoo was doable in a raid.

Also, I suspect encouraging solo play goes against what Blizz want for wm.

They are monitoring numbers correctly

However,there are a lot of Alliance players turn off Warmode after their quest/before reset,and a lot of Horde are passive warmode players (raid loggers and m+ only players)

Since the bonus is recalculated on weekly reset,it looks like horde outnumbers alliance in warmode on paper,even though alliance is more numerous in actual world PvP in practice

There’s various factors sure, but I bet most depends on lfg, shards are faction balanced, but you could have a chunk of Alliance lfg phased out and not visible to you. On your shard
 you would think, where’s the Alliance? On the lfg group’s shard, omg so many Alliance! They still belong to their original shard, and return there when leave group.

This lfg effect is much more noticable during aoo ofc, Alliance group finder has many aoo groups listed, no aoo and there’s just a few.