Warning for update 1903, Windows 10

I would just like to say that for SOME computers the new update 1903 available for Windows 10, might slow your computer’s hardware down considerably. Apparently after a bit of searching on the internet, the update forces your hardware to enter idle mode at certain situations despite often not being idle at all. This can greatly reduce a user’s performance on any hardware-dependent program or game after a while, despite what graphics settings they choose, the computer basically reduces its performance to conserve power. Symptoms include: Fine performance during the first few minutes of playing a game, but then it starts to for example stutter and lag terribly with 10-20 FPS. Generally the update reduce some computer’s performance, rather than keeping it stable or even improve it.

There is currently no known “fix” for this issue, despite trying what guides on the internet says such as disabling certain Windows processes, changing your virtual RAM Pagefile etc. The only solution to this problem right now is to revert back to update 1809/1803, as it worked for me at least.

Personally I find that when Microsoft release a major update such as this, which will eventually be forced to be installed on all Windows 10 computers, it is simply unprofessional and not at all what a customer expects from a giant company like them. When they release a major update through Windows Update which is made available to everyone, you expect that Microsoft has quality-tested it beforehand.

1 Like

Isn’t it related stricte to Mac users and cortana feature?

Oh there’s an issue with Cortana as well, they’ve managed to get that service to eat more CPU resources for some reason, which affects other programes like games that can’t grab as much attention from the CPU as they could before. Intel and AMD are affected by this.

It’s something Microsoft needs to fix. Going back from update solves issues.

It could be wise to set said update to be held for a month or so until patches come out to fix said issues.

… or switch Cortana off - I did.

I can confirm this issue, have tried reinstalling LTSC 1903 multiple times and I still get the CPU usage bug (usually when gaming) when some random process (can be Windows, WoW, Firefox, Nvidia etc etc) gets its CPU usage boosted up to 100% and crashes/freezes my PC. I even tried on a completely fresh install to block updates and only install Classic WoW and tried playing it and this bug STILL happens so it’s guaranteed not to be some random software, and done tons of hardware tests and tried pretty much every fix that comes up in google so it’s certain to be a Windows issue by now. I’ll try installing the 1809 version tomorrow and see if that fixes it, will post results.

Bottom of the line is if you’re planning on playing WoW on LTSC, don’t get the 1903 version since it’s unstable and save yourself 10-20h hours of wasted time trying to fix this broken version.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.