We need some love, and 4th spec

Hello! Back in january this year, i made a topic, about current state of DK and my ways to fix it (“A new way to experience a Death Knight Class” was the title). I logged into forums recently, and saw alot of rework/buff demands everywhere, most topics literally state, that DK is no longer enjoyable to play, and outdated. I’m not sure if developers are reading EU forums, but i’m gonna jump on this “hype train” and give even more feedback.

Let’s begin with the good stuff:

1. new UI design for runes/spending runes, is cool, i like it.
  2. It’s nice to have both DoT spec and single target/pet spec in an unholy tree.
  3. Overall DK is well preserved, almost all of our iconic abilities are present.
  4. And i kind of liked the amount of cool transmog sets SL provided.
  5. Blood is ok for PvE i believe, well designed, and obv we don’t want a tank PvP spec (at least i don’t).

The following “problems”, in my opinion, require attention of devs:

1. Unholy and Frost gameplay feels dated, predictable. And our self-healing also has been nerfed quite alot, devs don’t want DK to be too tanky i suppose. Whenever DK is too strong, we get a nerf (no1 likes to get killed by OP evil hero class i guess), and whenever we are mediocre (we usually are), we are just too predictable to be viable, we don’t have many ways to unleash our “skillcap”. Because of this issue, DK became a class with niche playerbase, this is sad, because DK was actually very popular in the past, during its “glory days”.

2. Overall, class feels like a WOTLK Relic, it felt almost untouched until SL, and even during “death themed” expansion, we rarely felt good in combat, our only reward was cosmetics and mounts.

3. We need more pet customizations, and FTLOG update old WOTLK frostwyrm 3D models already, instead of adding new 8-bit frostwyrms in 10.1.5 Naxx event.

My way to fix the issue:

Here comes “unpopular” opinion, but i really believe it is the only correct one.

Obviously, PvE side of DK seems ok, at least from my perspective (i rarely do PvE so i might be wrong). Blood is fine, frost and unholy should be preserved with some minor changes. Rotation and gameplay of these specs feels comical at some point in 2023, but i do believe they are not that bad, just require some tweaks, it will be hard to redesign those to work, without ruining their integrity and class fantasy in general.

What we really need is 4th spec. Many people thought fire DK is coming before SL launch, but i don’t really believe we need a fiery, infernal DK.

Remember when druids got their 4th spec? It was basically separation of feral tree into tank (bear), and cat (dps) specs.

We can do a same with DKs, but this time we go wraith/bony theme. This class fantasy exists in DK lore, but in a really undeveloped state.

Imagine a 4th spec, with high mobility, bone shields, teleports, and fast phased gameplay that is capable to unleash high skill ceiling. Maybe a new unique weapon, some kind of skeletal claymore or spectral blade, that can turn into a spectral bow for certain abilities, would be cool to play hybrid melee/ranged spec. As a cherry on top, we could get some warhammer chaos warrior/marauder influence in there too.

Long story short, i do believe that it is wiser to introduce a 4th spec by amplifying unexplored themes within DK class, because DK specs and abilities are way too canon to revamp/rework them, and it is really hard to do.

<3 you all, hope my wall of text inspires some bright ideas within community :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the spirit behind your 4th spec idea. Though I would argue that the core specs need a bit of a rework first. Most specs slightly correlate now since we have a class talent tree either way. Might be that some of the aspects of what you mentioned get moved to a main talent tree.

I’ve toyed around with the idea of a 4th spec myself, here are some ideas. I think unholy has 3 separate identities that have been compressed into 1.

A. Disease (dot and debuffs)
B. Necromancy (minion raising)
C. Shadow/Dark powers (the antithesis to paladins)

I reckon one of those should be separated into it’s own spec so all the ideas can have more room for development. A & B would very much make for an interesting mid range hybrid caster/melee. Could double down on the fantasy of being more of a Lich empowered death knight.

C is very much the “anti-paladin” and I feel should be modelled similarly to Retribution but with a lot more “evil” utility as opposed to support for allies. Debuffing auras and spells, more emphasis on usage of the runic weapon and the fantasy of being empowered by an evil cursed blade. Think being a “dark knight” of sorts (Nightmare vs Siegfrid from Soul Calibur for those who might be familiar)

I’m a big fan of Soul Calibur games, and i really like your “C anti ret paladin” idea. Decay auras could get more usage too, i agree.

I actually think they should make all specs able to tank and dps. I’d love a blood dps spec.

Unholy could be pure diseases and melee with minimum ghouls. Could use a bone shield and 1 hander.

Then make a new two spec class necro lancer using all those cool green affects from shadowlands and a healing spec that uses drains and death magic.

Druid got a 4th spec because 2 different roles were crammed into 1 before, so unless you want healer dk (i’ve seen this being uttered too but i’m not sure why), a 4th spec just for 2 different themes is highly improbable.

What they need to do is decide on a definitive direction for unholy instead of making it a halfassed amalgamation of things, and then come up with fresh, interactive and intuitive mechanics for both frost and unholy to make the entire class fun again.

1 Like

Yeah that should always be priority for sure. DK as a whole is definitely showing its age.

I guess OP wanted to tap in the class fantasy ideas more, which is definitely a bit confused right now, like you pointed out. We’ve got icy zombie dragon edgy dude, we got necromancy, we got disease, we got Lich and some sort dark/shadow magic and… Vampirism? The latter always felt the oddest to me as the vampire/blood aesthetic always felt like a separate thing. Even in ICC/WOTLK times the vampire undead elves and whatnot seemed like their own “undead subspecies” separate to the Death Knights themselves.

Not bashing blood in particular, if anything I feel it’s the slightly more coherent spec of the 3 in terms of gameplay. It’s thematically odd. When I think vampires, I think speed, elegance, with a hidden monstrous side and animalistic metamorphosis. Even more so since Denathrius and the Venthyr in general. Arthas both as death knight and as the Lich King, didn’t really ever express that fantasy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.