We need some stats

It was possible to do this 2 days ago. Not anymore since their last update which (intentionally) broke Census.

I don’t expect them to give us any official data, just like how they stopped giving us data from retail. In the private server scene, it is a sign of fear when the server stops announcing online players on its website.

Yes, yes, you can tell me it’s because /who searches caused lag, you can tell me it’s because they didn’t want players moving out from low-pop realms etc etc - this is all BS and you know it. :slight_smile: It is fear.

1 Like

Are you even looking at Census at all? There are only around 400k above 40lvl because people haven’t reached 40lvl, not because they’re quitting. The majority of people in my realm are 20-40. The average player is 35-40, and the average person in that survey pointed to “2-3 months” as IRL time for 60lvl. Only around 5% of people have reached 60, and these are the people that took days off work so they can play.

It’s okay being concerned about Classic, but it’s not okay doomsaying for no reason and when everything’s alright. The big four of Gehennas, Shazzrah, Firemaw and Golemagg still have queues in the thousands. The realm I hopped to still reaches High every evening. It also already has 4-5 raiding guilds. This is all info that is visible to the eye and was visible when Census was working. So I don’t know why you’re saying stuff like that.

And please don’t cry about vanilla faction balance because this is NOT the place. The Russian Wyrmthalak is 99% Alliance.

3 Likes

You sure ? Blizzard said legion reached numbers on Wod start level and bfa was the highest first day sold expansion. Both time they didn’t announce sub numbers

The only reason they ever gave out subscription numbers to start with was for investors. It was never for players to flex their favorite game. However, Blizzard has stated many times that subscription numbers aren’t a relevant metric for WoW’s performance as a whole anymore. So therefore, those numbers have been kept behind doors for quite awhile now.

What is interesting now though is that, currently, revenue is generated mostly through the in-game store on Retail, while before the store, it was generated soully via subscriptions and purchases of the expansions. With two separate versions of the game now with entirely different revenue models, it will be interesting to find out how Blizzard will aggregate that data for investors to understand WoW’s performance.

What we can make a good guess on is Warcraft, overall, is doing well as a franchise.

Which is just as wrong as “ice is hot”.

3 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily mean WotLK level of subs. You have different time frames - one with prevailing preoders/digitals, and the other a time where very few could (or were willing) to go and buy a box at 0.00h in the night or on the first morning. On top of all that companies spin those announcement, it could easily mean “almost the the level of WoD”, when there are no concrete numbers the wording could meant a thousand things. What “start level subs” even mean? Where one “level” of subs begin and where it ends?

We have numbers for Wod . 10 Million SuBs

Which they would do for classic too. Statistics on this forum seem to say most player quit before 30 .

So after all you were wrong that they didn’t announce when subs were again at 10 mill.

I don’t get you, how is that related to subs announcements (or lack of)?

What can also be a factor is that many people are puttering around with Classes and Alts in general, most notably Crafting Alts which need to get to level 20 before they can Craft anything worthwhile for those lvl 35+ ‘mains’.

Craft?!?

Yes, Craft. Many if not most AH’s are flooded with mats (meaning you barely get over Vendor, if even, post listing price) so that e.g. making your own Bags and Gear out of it makes a lot more sense.

Yes, the small % of players that, by means of layer and/or XP abuse and/or hiring people to ‘just keep them logged in’ or not rocketted to 60 may live in a different situation, but by far most people are still levelling - which shouldn’t come as a surprise, as not only does that more reflect the Vanilla data (in fact, it already is faster) but also most people didn’t indulge in the forbidden fruits of pirate servers and so want(ed) to soak in the game (world) they waited for so long.

Of course that was all before the rather lacklustre performance of Blizz in other area’s (e.g. you literally have people walking around directly named after slang for female genitals for over a week now, to name but a small incident) but that doesn’t detract from that the idea ‘3 weeks in 60’s aren’t the majority, o noes, let’s go Gretta!’ is rather preposterous.

I do agree that they should have had seperate Subs, would have solved a lot of issues, inclus8ng the misty stats.

I will just assume you don’t know better , and that you are not trolling.

They stopped mid Wod reporting numbers for many reasons , including using them to insult the devs and players

Even if they announce subs it wouldn’t show the real classic player base

Ofcourse, that’s why the same addon still works perfectly in retail. Tinfoil hat time at it’s finest. I really enjoy reading making stuff up all the time.

May i see source on that about retail?

It’s because Activision Blizzard lie and numbers DON’T!

They will not making up losing way more than half their players in storemounts.

Sub numbers is for sure the most important metric but i guess investors have diablo immortal as their last hope lol.

Not as much as you think.
It would earn you a couple dozen million TOPS. That’s not even worth a snort for a company like acti-blizz if they get s*** on for the next ten years after.

I saw they’ve recently been trying to get us to play the new CoD via launcher. As if any PC players would touch that series anymore.

Man, you’re so angry! Sheesh.
Get a life, man.

You are watching too many fake journalists pretending to be outraged at big companies. COD still has thousands of players.

There’s no anger in me at all. In fact I’m pretty zen in general. But I defo wouldn’t touch a new cod game, that series died on pc after cod 4 promod. Enjoying classic however! Are you? :smile:

Well, then I wish for every game developer to have their games “die” the way COD does, seeing it’s in the top 20 of the best selling games of 2019.

And no, I don’t play Classic. I don’t see a point.

It is not uncommon practice for a company to carefully present data to make their stock more attractive for investors.

However, what is clear is the development team behind World of Warcraft continues to grow larger, and that has been a consistent trend since before the Classic launch, and given the success of Classic, one can assume that the team will continue to receive more resources.

This implies that players are actually being successfully monetized by the store. Companies may throw resources at a project as an initial investment, but it is extremely uncommon for them to indefinitely throw resources at a product that continues to show revenue declines. Clearly, this is not the case with WoW.

And with the huge influx from Classic, this is likely a trend that will continue for Blizzard. I do personally hope this will lighten the reliance on the store as a revenue stream, but I have my feelings this won’t happen.