Weapon animations and abilities -Do you guys want them?

Hello monks of Azeroth,

I’m super curious to learn what you think.

This is not a new topic, but it’s one that keeps coming up for me because I love my monk but I utterly dislike what it’s become. But for the first time, I am curious how other monks feel about this - Would you guys like weapon animations and abilities to come back?

I understand the class fantasy is that of a knuckle brawler, but the bottom line is, you have two weapons with you at all times, and they’re just sitting on your back or at your hip for literally no reason. Once again, I can understand the class fantasy, but if monks are inspired by real life Shaolin monks, it is worth pointing out that they mastered several weapons!

I’m not saying that every ability should be weapon-based ( although I would super enjoy a Blademaster or Weaponmaster spec!) but please, can we just get back some weapon abilities, like Jab or something, where the monk takes their weapons and use them? When you SEF, your spirits use WEAPONS! Or maybe when you use Serenity, you could pull out your weapons ( think of Genji from Overwatch when he uses his Ultimate).

Is this something my fellow monks would like, or do you like and prefer having nothing to do with weapons? Do whole martial arts gig can be very nice, sure, but when we’re fighting huge enemies, dragons or GODS, punching them doesn’t feel that cool.

No.

My fists are more powerful than your 8 foot long glowing sword of whupass.

That is my class fantasy :smile_cat:

Desperate for an update in animations for sure. They look dated and out of place. Haven’t been updated for years, probably since MoP, whilst other class animations received overhauls in Legion. It honestly puts me off playing Monks a bit

Not really. It would be OK if every attack had a -maybe unique- weapon animation, but it used to look silly when half of them are done with hands or feet and the character quickly sheathes the weapon between every attack.
(speaking about MW staves, not sure how it looks for other specs)

nop, i dont want weapon animation. I really want weapon deletion in favor of a true choice, weapon style fight, or true monk fight style.

One spec dedicated to weapons style fight, you could fight with weapon (staff, hand fist, sword, axe) but then you have to dedicate yourself to this kind of fighting and cannot use fist combat system at all. this would be a new spec, not what ww is today.

one spec dedicated to true monk combat system, dedicated to hand’n’kick, and you cannot use weapon at all. This could be close to what ww is today , but with some additions, as an example : the unique ability to change your fist/kick damage type (earth, wind and fire anyone?)

Keep the spec dedicated to tanking but…

…remove that healing spec, so we could be a true melee fighter, this spec is so in a bad shape right now, it’s the least played spec of all the game. 10.0.7 will not relieve that.
there is enough healing spec in the game. enough OP spec too.

all issues related to enchant/rune/stat/animations/spec could be fixed/added/removed/updated code wise, but this would need huge committment from dev team, more precisely from the manager team. something like what is happening to paladin right now.

In the mean time, best way is to simply hide weapons with special fist weapon sold in peak of serenity. Having two weapon sitting int he back , is freaking stupid for this class. At least a staff, is ok , but even yet there is not much animation with it since you must release the staff to play with your fist or kick??!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.