Weird issue when playing 'retail' Keyboard stops responding

As the title says, after playing the game for about 10 MINS my character stops responding to key inputs on the abilities etc. I can jump, move using the normal keys but none of the abilities work until I shutdown the game and restart. No idea what is going on…

Are you accidentally changing your keyboard region with some shortcut?

In Windows 10 the Windows key + Space bar will change your keyboard layout. I think Alt+Shift will also do this.

This link will show you how to customize or remove these shortcuts https://winaero.com/blog/change-hotkeys-switch-keyboard-layout-windows-10/

This command should open it directly. Run from a command prompt.
Rundll32 Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL input.dll,,{C07337D3-DB2C-4D0B-9A93-B722A6C106E2}

Maybe look into removing extra input methods you have installed too. Also, search the settings panel for Ease of Access -> Keyboard . Disable everything in there like Sticky Keys and Filter Keys etc.

1 Like

Hey there Aemilya,

Sorry to read that you’re having troubles with your Keyboard inputs not working soon after launching World of Warcraft.

Thank you for helping Raijin, these are certainly useful suggestions, and on top of these, I would like to ensure that another application on your PC isn’t taking the Keyboard Focus. A number of applications now have “Overlay” elements which run over the top of your game screen and can retain focus on the Keyboard/Mouse. To rule these out, please can you try Closing Background Applications to see if this helps you.

Hi there, I am the originall poster of this thread but for some reason my (posting as) name has changed lol…

OK there seems to be some confusion here. When I say the keyboard is not responding, what I mean is, I can see the spell or ability highlighting when I press the button but there is not effect happening. For example, if I press the mount button, it flashes like it is supposed to do when it is being pressed but nothing actually happens. I can use the keyboards standard move keys (wasd), jum (space) etc but even if I click the afore mentioned action buttons using the mouse, the same thing happens, once again it reacts like it should but nothing actually happens. It acts like a mega lag spike but without no end i.e nothing ever happens until i shut down the game completely (including Battlenet and restart.

Yesterday, as a precaution, I unistalled the game, battlenet app and anything to do with wow and then painstakingly reinstalled everything. I willl try later today too see if it happens again.

1 Like

Hello Wyldling!

Your last description of the problem looks indeed like something network related, a sudden loss of of connection more than a mega lag spike but close enough :wink:

Normally a disconnection comes with an error message and the game going back to login screen, in some - quite rare… you are a lucky person maybe Wyldling! - situations that may not happen and the character simply remains in the game world without being able to do anything. In those situations it is usually possible to run around “offline” in the part of the world that is loaded, but it’s not possible to interact with abilities, NPCs or other players (other players if shown may be actually see as running in place).

If the situation keeps happening despite the steps you have been taking, I would like to ask you to start a WinMTR test and leave it running while you play, up until a couple of minutes after the problem happens.

Post the results then, and we’ll be happy to have a look and see what they say ^^

So not sure if it will help because I am pretty sure it’s not a disconnection issue as I play with my husband on the same connection and he is always in my party (no running on the spot etc) but here are the logs from abut 20 mins play time:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                             192.168.0.1 -    6 | 2420 | 2296 |    2 |    9 |   32 |   10 |
|                            10.249.104.1 -    6 | 2424 | 2301 |    6 |    9 |   51 |   16 |
|pres-core-2b-xe-733-0.network.virginmedia.net -    6 | 2384 | 2251 |    6 |   10 |   45 |    9 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  583 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|86.85-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk -    7 | 2292 | 2136 |   14 |   18 |   84 |   18 |
|          lag-12.ear2.London1.Level3.net -    7 | 2316 | 2168 |   15 |  368 | 1902 |   21 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  583 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|     PUBMATIC.ear4.Amsterdam1.Level3.net -   12 | 1984 | 1751 |   21 |   26 |   83 |   30 |
|                            185.64.188.3 -   13 | 1943 | 1700 |   23 |   27 |  102 |   30 |
|                          185.64.189.112 -    1 | 2874 | 2864 |   21 |   24 |   70 |   23 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

Another piece of information that may help, is it tends too happen on a /re (reload) aswell as just randomly doing it during gameplay. This is really frustrating me now.

Hello Wyldling,

Thanks a lot for the update and for the test :slight_smile:

Considering the results of the WinMTR a sudden disconnection is unlikely indeed, however I am afraid a network related issue can not be ruled out, as the test shows a ton of packet loss starting from the very first node of your connection :frowning:

Given your description and the fact that the packet loss starts from the very first steps chances are that the issue is not the network itself, but some kind of software related conflict. Would you mind trying a restart of your system in a selective startup mode?

To cover a bit more ground, I would like to also ask you to make sure your proxy settings are disabled, and to restart your network devices.

If nothing changes, would you mind creating a couple of diagnostic files to allow us to investigate the situation a bit more into details?
You can find information on how to create them here.

Given their size you may want to upload them on an external site (eg. Pastebin and post the link :slight_smile:

It may be useful to also have results of a brand new WinMTR test completed after the steps above are done.

I know this is frustrating Wyldling, we’ll do our best to help you though, rest assured of that :slight_smile:

I got this problem too.
I disabled Nvidia Gaming Experience and Discord which has overlay.
Still no luck and only thing to solve this is to restart the game.

I’m using a Logitech G810 and a freshly reinstalled and wiped Win10.

/Dealean

@Wyldling or @dealean

Did you ever get this problem resolved? It’s been happening to me recently and for the life of me I can’t figure out why it’s happening.

/reload UI when i write this command my buttons works again by keyboard.

It’s not fix, just add a button with reload command behind.