Weird noise when opening Classic

I just installed Classic, but when launching the game, my pc makes a very weird loud noise. It doesn’t sound like the fans, more like a high tone buzzing, which goes a bit up and down. There’s no issue at all when launching the retail version or any other game or application.
I checked a few forums, but only suggestions i found was enabling v-sync and setting a max fps, tried both, but that didn’t change anything. Also tried with some different graphic settings, but no change either.

Using a 5 yo MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5 and Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake CPU 4 core 2.7 GHz

1 Like

Sounds like coil whine. It should not be dangerous though it is annoying. Does it happen only in the login screen or everywhere in the game? Try different settings for the FPS cap as coil whine often happens in specific loads.

Video which has recorded sound of coil whine, at 1:42 if it starts from beginning:

Thanks for your reply, it definitely sounds like coil whine.
I tried some different fps caps (20, 30, 40, 50, 60), but nothing really made a difference. It’s both in the login screen, char select and in game.
Is there a specific reason for this to happen, since it only happens for the classic version, and not retail (or other games for that matter)?

1 Like

Not really, the coil whine in computers is generally caused by variations of load and since Classic is much lighter than Retail or many other games it might just hit the unfortunate sweet spot for your computer.

Unfortunately if the FPS caps or similar settings don’t help you have to live with it or add extra dampening to your computer. You can either dampen the case directly if possible or by adding extra stuff around the case. Eg. I once placed the computer under a table so the table blocked some of the noise getting to directly. Headphones can also help to avoid hearing the noise.