What’s Outlaw good for?

Disclaimer: I am not a serious/Informed rogue player. It’s just an alt I like.

With that said, what content is Outlaw best at right now? I enjoy the fantasy of swords but the spec feels clunky compared to when I run Assa.

Is it better than Assassination for anything? Thanks in advance.

Primarily AOE/M+. Thats about it, assa tends to fair better in ST/two target fights. aka the rest of the in-game content.

You can raid as outlaw but dont expect to be number 1.

2 Likes

Thanks. Are Outlaw at least middle of the pack in raid dps?

Can’t tell you, haven’t looked at logs but dont expect to out DPS the god tier DPS on ST like DH, Bm hunter, destro, fire mage.

1 Like

Using sinister strike (literally) 12 times in a row without a single proc.

Outlaw can be very good at that.

5 Likes

Man that sucks. Well I’ve got some half decent weapons for assassination now so I’m going to stick with it I think.

They could have given a bad luck protection mechanic to it like fire mages have, but well… It’s the same people that don’t put a channeling bar to Bladestorm, Killing Spree or Aspect of the Turtle, but they do for Wraith Walk…

2 Likes

sticking with assa is for sure the best thing you can do if you don’t have a particular preference. it’s the most flexible rogue spec, good at basically everything with no tuning punishment for said flexibility. the only potential weakness you could point out is burst aoe, and even that can be pretty good with a few procs. the other specs are way more situational.

1 Like

Hello m8. Not the greatest or most informed rogue around but i have been playing rogue for 15 years now. And this expansion i have been playing outlaw both in m+ and raid.
Outlaw is good for cleave fights, the more targets the better. There is NO SINGLE TARGET SPEC! There is more targets or less targets spec. As with most other classes, the right azerite traits and trinkets will make a huge difference.
That being said, you are better off going assa, every other rogue in my guild is assa. I can go 400k+ dps on a large pile or mobs, maybe even more, but i will quickly become redundant in a single target fight.
Even so, there is a large chance you will get frustrated quick by roll the bones. Today i joined a group to kill one of those weekly outdoor bosses. I rolled bones on all my combos xcept for between the eyes until boss went under 30% and that took quite a while since it was a 7 man group. And then i got a crit roll and ended fight with that. There are 3 rolls that affect Outlaw dps: roll the bones, sinister strike procs and that flows into the pistol shot extra damage proc. From the 3, by far the most frustrating is the dice roll. And no, you can’t go with changing it for slice and dice, as it is weaker than a 1 roll buff as far as math crafters say.
If you don’t really care if it’s a rogue or other class, I strongly suggest DH. No procs, just rotation, just like classic, your dps is your dps. And to top it up, rotation is the same for single target and aoe
However, there are worst choices for DPS than rogue in wow atm. SO, if you decide to stick to rogue and gearing up is a starting endeavor, I suggest going Assa.

1 Like

Literally spitting nonsense there pal, but sure. Every ST fight if you’re really going for highest parses avaliable as a rogue you swap to sin for raw ST as its the rogue spec which shines the most in single target as you literally have on demand increased crit chance.

1 Like

That’s just being rude, it’s the same as me asking you if you don’t have a tree to go piss on or something.
That being said, as is now, you have access to more powerful or less powerful cleave on outlaw as part of your normal “rotation” if you can call it that.

Outlaw is ‘mid-tier’.
It’s fun to play it, it’s very endurable and nimble and you’ll have a fun time in open world PvE.
However, its single target generally suffers. Roll the Bones is not very rewarding as it will usually repeat bad buffs and just 1 buff, on extremely rare occasions will you get more than 2 buffs…and I repeat, extremely rare.
Sinister Strike sometimes doesn’t proc, so you can find yourself constantly slamming number 1. It can happen up to 12 or so times that it doesn’t proc. The agony.
AoE for Outlaw is decent, in fact it’s where it shines…but sadly, AoE got nerfed and you’ll still have DHs, Warriors and probably other classes outshine you with that too, due to your AoE expiring and being ‘timed’ /on cd.

I’m not fond of Assa nor Sub rogue, but the amount of RNG for Outlaw is making me consider to respec.

The Sinister Strike proc f*ckery is the most frustrating RNG Outlaw has, because it messed directly with the rotation, while the dices mess with the effects.

Not being able to know if you are gonna last 3 or 10 seconds building up combo points while wasting a lot of energy and damage IS a frustrating thing.

you literally said what it is, it’s a channeled spell. Bladestorm can’t be interrupted, wraith walk can because it’s channeled

Ok Captain Obvious.

That is the problem, these should be channeled, since you can’t perform other actions during it’s duration and you can actually remove the action by right clicking the buff.

You guys are all sleeping on Vision of Perfection + Loaded Dice; almost completely removes bad rolls from the equation, it procs more than enough to get almost permanent double buffs. Outlaw might not be the best for burst ST, but has absurdly sustained damage compared to other classes. Ridiculous melee range gives it a ton of flexibility for positioning too. It’s definitely the best Rogue spec for anything with large amounts of AoE and absolutely holds its own in ST fights too.

There’s an issue. Vision of Perfection + Loaded Dice is still making you lose on Alcarity which is in the same Talent row. Alcarity is super important as it gives us haste buff.
Had Blizzard separated some of these talents in different rows, the spec would’ve played a ton better, as I can already see many people getting rid of Roll the Bones and replacing it with either Loaded Dice or Slice and Dice.

Outlaw also sometimes doesn’t have great sustain if bad luck kicks in, it can drop if you’re having a bad time with SS not procing and RtB not granting you what you need (which means rerolling it and praying you get a good buff, which means you lose on energy and combo points, which means you lose on DPS too).

AoE is still something you can’t maintain, and sometimes you will drop when you’re on CD and unable to activate your AoE, even with Dancing Steel as your talent.
Instill, yes, Outlaw shines in AoE compared to other Rogue specs and is fun to play if you’re not planning to seriously compete with DPS.
If you ARE to compete with others in DPS, you’ll find yourself with a lot of frustration and in a bad spot.

If you plan to raid, raid with Assa rogue and enjoy massive ST damage.
If you plan to do M+ and just fun open world without much pressure, go Outlaw. Despite its RNG and weaknesses, it can provide some of the most enjoyable open world experiences and M+ as Outlaw is amazing, even if it can be frustrating due to procs sometimes.

Overall, can definitely do with some Outlaw tweaks, particularly changing talent rows for some of these skills and giving us bad luck protection for SS not proccing after nth time.

In any case, as Lilura mentioned, if you want to avoid frustration with RtB, drop Alcarity and go with Visions + Loaded Dice.

Sadly, this is the way to fix the RNG problem with the dices.

To occupy the main essence slot and a talent permanently to fix a spec is a very bad design… Let’s pray for Outlaw to be on a better spot in Shadowlands.

I will still play it regardless, since I like to play a rogue with swords, and the pistol is very cool.

1 Like

The worst thing about Outlaw is without a doubt Sinister Strike not proccing. Spamming SS for 5k damage 12 times in a row is just painful. When that happens, you’ll see the other dps pull ahead by several 100k. There is way too much RNG in the spec, sadly

2 Likes

I’ve done a little ‘test’ today.
SS not proccing is like…frustrating beyond imagination. I’ve had 10 swings without SS proccing at all.
Another thing I did is test Roll the Bones to see how many buffs I’d get.

• 8 rolls = 1 buff (5/8 being buffs I don’t need/don’t benefit from, with 2 being extra proc chance for SS, and just one being Grand Melee)

Chance for me to see 2x buffs (without running different talents), is beyond low. I am lately just seeing one buff on my Outlaw and it’s starting to really get to me.
It’s lower than ever to see more than 2 buffs, and 1 buff is just…constantly there.
Not to mention how many times you can roll and get the same useless buff.
I’ve had compass and chest just duplicate one another at each roll I did.

Something really needs to be done about Outlaw’s RNG.
Shuffle the talents so that we can get proper freedom of choice without losing on other more important talents and therefore losing on DPS.
Imo Outlaw SHOULD have a choice whether to use Roll the Bones or not without having it impact DPS. Slice and Dice is the only talent/skill I’d use over Roll the Bones, but … of course, it falls behind in DPS a ton, which is frustrating.