What am I doing wrong? (resto shaman)

So I have an issue. I switched from paladin to resto shaman for SL. Of course I still have a lot to learn but I’d say my heal is usually pretty good. I am always second in the hps in our raid grp (~20 ppl). But I just can’t pass our druid. He pushes 7k hps @ Inerva HC. Our grp isnt the best and our ranges usually never gather in a camp. Is that it maybe? Or is it the grp size that favours druid? Am I mediocre or is he just crazy good (regular legendary logs) ? Ppl say shaman is top notch and druid is weak at the moment but if that is true then what is happening?

Edit: Turns out most of it was my cloudburst timing. Pushing 95% logs now, so I’m fine :slight_smile:

Seeing some logs would likely help anyone knowledgable about shamans help you better. Without more information, just a HPS number at the end of an encounter tells little, I’m afraid.

Druid is insane in CN. Ours top 9/10 fights.

Shaman is great on stacked bosses. Lady is very spread out. Keep rain on boss as that’s where most stacking will be. Use earthen wall every CD and when anima is released (earthen wall totem can be 2-3 on heals) use healing tide on CD and cloud burst on CD. Spread riptides. Never waste time chain healing. Keep earth shield on tank taking dmg. …you’ll easy push 6k+ hps

Also. Keep in mind as your group gets better with mechanics. There is very little big healing needing done so druids again excell at mopping up small regular dmg.

If you had a disc priest you’d see spirit shell soak up even more.

Shaman really do well when lots of damage is going out due to mastery.

1 Like

Good advice for padding healing logs but bad advice for progression. You should save Earthen Wall for big raid damage (e.g. emptying containers) as most of the time Healing Rain will suffice x)

It’s hard to say. You may have 7k hps with mediocre guild and feel like a star. Then you appear in a more competitive environment and your purple logs turn to green.
Its hard to judge a healer hps with the same people. Generally the worse the guild the better the healer logs. More damage taken, longer fights.
But there is nothing in particular to talk about withot your logs.

Sorry that should read on boss CDs. But on certain continual aoe bosses. On CD. It does nothing for larger single hits. But great on so many aoe areas. Sire P1. Lady all fight nearly. Yeah.

If you use it on cd even during low damage periods your Healing Rain will be pure overhealing so it’s not optimal. And earthen wall does help reduce damage taken on progression even if its not crazy significant. + mana management too.

I’ve never said it shouldn’t be used on progression.
I said it doesn’t help against single large hitting abilities. But is much more useful on large aoes such as sire p1, sludge pillar charge etc.

It’s a great ability and shouldn’t be forgot is what I think the original poster should take from this.

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m saying, you should save it for those situations and not mindlessly use it whenever available.

Also to OP if you’re spamming riptide and having good uptime on healing rain you’re already doing enough hps =)

I am also still learning to raid heal, in all fairness I prefer M+ over raiding myself.

I don’t focus on this while hps thing, in the end what matters is that I am there when it is required, not some sort of hps race, that for me is rediculous.

When I don’t need to heal much, I don’t heal much. Just riptides (first 2 are on tanks), healing rain on either ranged or melee group.

What I do wonder if certain timings, since cloud burst totem and well spring have different CDs. Do I focus my CBT usage on that, not healing rain? I notice a lot that when I mostly use well spring, my CBT is on CD, so I think I may need to adjust this.

I’m also not the standard build, I’m night fae, I use mana tide legendary.

I’d time wellspring to be captured inside CBT. You can essentially have CBT up every 15 seconds if you watch your timing. Also to maximise CBT absorb time, cast wellspring and instantly drop CBT. Instead of dropping CBT and then casting which wastes 3 seconds of totem soak time.

And make sure to use all 3 stacks of bonus healing every time CBT is dropped. Generally on riptides. As it effects the HoT too.

In particular unleash life (if you use this / swirling currents - this can be used to provide a nice big riptide on a tank with a long high HoT - and with Earth shield on tank you could most likely leave them.

Another thing of note not mentioned yet is Primordial wave. If you get a good few riptides out and then wave on another just before a big aoe blast. You can achieve massive aoe healing as Heal cleaves every target of Riptide. This is often overlooked but timed with Unleash life you can drop 6-7x heals on everyone with riptide. (Necro lord only).

Usually a top-star parse means that your raid effed up and took a lot of damage. Especially as a shaman, with our mastery relying on people being low hp.
A lot of mechanics just kill failing people, but from time to time you can make a real difference when pushing a first kill.

You should strive to improve, of course, but looking at hps values is misleading.

Woade has some good tips, if you have the time to build up synergies you should do that, for example filling up CBT. Sometimes you have to run around playing mechanics, and those are more important than standing in fire and pushing hps.

Logs needed. HPS means everything and nothing at the same time. I can pop all cds and trinkets an go 93k HPS healing nothing useful :rofl: . It’s not like dps, you gotta check over healing, mana usage, etc.

Also, druids have always been good raid healers due to their istant-hots, which are capable of keeping a group up with ease if there’s not too much damage hitting the raid.

Shamans are excel at emergency healing, see our mastery.

Low hps could be bad timing with chain heal, bad positioning with healing rain and bad timing again with cloudburst totem.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d also not cast chain heal, ever. Sadly outside of PvP it (due to cast time talent) it has little to no use. Wellspring, and riptide use or even popping CBT early if it’s going to overheal every soon with enough healing stored will do more use than chain. 2.5 sec cast, very high mana cost, low HPS. Use the time on Heal or if needed fast, surge (preferably with swirling currents up).

You will have no issues with mana on ANY fight - aim to keep your mana around the same % as the bosses HP. Drop mana tide at around 85% or so. (Mana pot first and early as most fights allow 2)

Shaman have been in a solid spot all of CN. Fantastic healer that can also avoid having to soak stacks in Sire with ghost wolf. Which is very handy for a fast P1. SLT is also an insane raid CD. Think of it as a tank CD in most scenarios.
Sire p1 last soak SLT allows your whole raid to ignore the adds and burst sire into starting P2. As long as the dps is good.

Limit’s resto shaman used Unleash Life and Chain Heal on many bosses. It doesn’t do good hps if you want to top the meters but it provides strong healing when most needed.

If you run unleash life it’s worth using. Running torrent it’s not.

Good point tho.

Thank you for your replies and your insight! I am mostly doing everything you recommended and maybe there are a lot of variables that I can not see here. I will try not to focus on it so much in the future :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.