What do you make of this pc?

Hey guys,

I’ve recently aquired my brother’s old gaming pc which I’ve slightly upgraded already.

I’m just wondering what you guys think of the below specs as this is what the rig is looking like with my changes and what I’m looking to aquire.

How do you think it’ll handle WoW? If you have any upgrade recommedations that would be great, although I am trying to keep within a budget (hence the parts) so would like to keep the prices as low as can be.

pcpartpicker = /list/Dk8RBc

Have already:
ASUS Prime B450M-A
AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF with stock Wraith cooler
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000 MHz
Atrix Expert 600w PSU (only has 6-pin cable for GPU)
Kingston A400 240GB M.2 SSD + Toshiba 1TB HD
Corsair SPEC-03 ATX Mid Tower Case
1x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan in the front
2x 120mm stock Corsair fans, one on the bottom and one for exhaust

Will be buying:
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000 MHz - to make a total of 16GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB GAMING OC (Triple fan)
Corsair CV 650w PSU (need that 8-pin GPU cable)

Would really appreciate another set of eyes before I buy the rest of the parts.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

NEVER - well; avoid at all costs, if possible - use RAM in single stick combinations… you’re greatly hamstringing performance if you do this.
Make sure BOTH Ram sticks are not only the same speed, but the same timings (CL ratings), too… even then, expect problems trying to get two sticks that appear to be the same working together - it’s usually better to get a matched pair in the first place.

What IS your budget, btw…?

EDIT:
What graphics card are you currently using, as the 1600AF has no integrated graphics…?
FYI, the graphics power connector on that PSU you have is (supposed to be) a 6+2… no different in purpose to an 8-pin.

Hey thanks for the reply,

Good to note, my logic was that I could run the 1 RAM stick until I gathered to funds to add the 2nd - if this is a bad idea I guess I’d better source another stick asap!

Budget wise, for the whole build I was looking to ideally stay in the £500-600 realm. But as I have most of the parts it’s kinda hard to work out the rest. I guess all I need to really spend on now is the graphics card, RAM and then a better PSU to incorporate an 8-pin output. I’ve seen the 6 to 8-pin adapters but not sure how much I trust em.

At the moment I’ve got an old Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 - which definitely needs upgrading!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :slight_smile:

I edited this in as you were posting - might be worth a closer look at what you have.

Oh dear god… why? :smiley:
As Eighjan already told you, 1 RAM stick alone is REALLY slow since you cannot reap the benefits of “dual channel”.
You are losing ALOT of performance in games and need to get a 2nd stick that is the same model as the one you already have.

WoW is very sensitive to RAM speeds and timings :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok amazing, thanks for the advice. A second stick is in the post as we speak haha.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Sure you can’t go for a Ryzen 5 2600 at least? Better ram controller in it for a start than 1600. And a slight bump in speed as well from the cpu.

He has a 1600 AF, which is basically a 2600 rebranded with lower clockspeeds.

Yeah as Kiyuki said, the 1600 AF is so similar to the 2600 - just slightly lower clock speeds. It has the same 12nm process and the benchmarks come out incredibly close. For £90 or so I can’t complain :slight_smile:

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.