What do you think will happen to retail after classic launches?

Too bad the joke " how do you know if someone played Vanilla ? Trust me they will tell you" with no long apply after it’s launched.

It will be very popular at first but I imagine it’ll lose the majority of it’s player base within the first three months. Newer generations of gamers won’t have the patience for it and even those of us who were around for vanilla will likely find the reality doesn’t quite match our memories.

Those who stick with it though I think will be around for a long time as it will offer something we just don’t see with new MMOs, at least the higher production ones.

Ive played on P servers and i dont agree, i think Vanilla is even better what i remember . P servers has a Amazing community with real Love for World of Warcraft, we played with Russians, Chinese , Koreans , Americans, whatever, the servers had all Time zones.

The only reason they play on P servers is because Blizzard cant provide them with their game. Now they will. when it comes to “old” and “new” we will meet and the middle and find common grounds.

But dont go into this game thinking is even remotely the same as today’s retail you will prob not last, every resource in the game you need to fight over. Your lvlingJorney is baicly where you Hook up with new found friends. Its realy a Amazing game and im sure "some retail gamers will get hooked just like we did 14 years ago.

Im just happy that you get to experience this coming Epic Journey So Buckle up!

1 Like

I notice what I think is an enormous oversight that people make when they talk about things like “modern players won’t like having to earn stuff”, “leveling will be too slow for modern players”, “people will miss the qol improvements too much to be interested in classic”.

None of that is relevant once you start playing classic. It is like a ‘world simulator’ of sorts, if you like, except you are a 7foot tall, buff as all hell, 10,000 year old night elf warrior.

I have spoken many times about why retail WoW has lost its substance, the main thing being that there is ZERO player character binding left. There is zero investment in your character for it to be able to steamroll immediately available content.

From the very start of classic you have to hustle for currency to purchase skill upgrades, figure your character’s power so you don’t over pull and die, learn what each of your spells do (and trust me there is A LOT MORE than retail) to get you out of sticky situations.

Even getting a damned bag to have extra bag slots is a hustle, coming across a (party) quest really does require a party, this means social interaction is required. ALL THE WHILE, you are binding, learning, and getting to grips with YOUR CHARACTER!

A symbiosis occurs, you become your character whilst you are in this world simulator. It ain’t easy, it isn’t about “qol improvements”, “tryina level quick”, “getting free stuff”. It’s about going on this adventure with your character, and overcoming all the odds to succeed in it.

People will start to understand this as they progress with their time in Classic.

And if they don’t? Cool, it’s likely this kind of journey probably isn’t for you. Apologies for the wall of text, hope it didn’t crit too high :smiley:

2 Likes

Classic has more longevity with far less content.

Everything is designed to be done in groups, and you feel like you are in a breathing world.

The amount of time I just spent in Ironforge, because it felt like a village, seeing the same people. Getting to trust the best crafters; remembering the nice people who are 60 with good gear but just like helping poorly geared players in dungeons runs.

None of that exists in retail. It’s more of a co-op instance game, and even guilds are becoming socially cold-- usually because there is absolutely no reason to log in outside of raids. Many eyes will be opened; but of course only for those that are seeking an MMORPG.

I am quite confident that many people will go in thinking “Well it’s just like modern WoW but with far less” and go out hours later realising they absolutely love it.

It will have a smaller base of players than retail - very likely - but it will be FAR more consistently online and far more tight-knit.

People will go there after watching all those youtube videos about how Vanilla is better than BfA in every single aspect. It will most likely have more players than retail for a few days and after that people will realize that:

• Vanilla had the worst class balance ever (in both pvp and pve) because at that point Blizzard didn’t even tried to make it better.

• After copying a talent tree from a guide they will never touch it again so its only interesting during leveling.

• Leveling itself is a bigger grind than everything in BfA combined, so those who complain daily about grind will be pretty surprised.

• Everyone will realise that class design in BfA is not as bad and boring as they thought. Ret paladins won’t have the time of their lives when they realise that the only thing they can do is using their seals and then autoattacking for 30 second (if i remember correctly) and a few judgement here and there.

• I don’t even want to know what they will think when they realise that rushing through dungeons is not an option.

• The Vanilla community is one of the worst communities online. There are toxic people on retail as well but at least there they usually don’t talk. Majority of the non-toxic people will most likely leave in a few weeks even if they don’t mind the flaws of a game from 2004.

• A lot of people used to being antisocial on retail and just que up for every group and doing pve/pvp without saying a word. Those people won’t really enjoy classic where you won’t get anywhere without being social.

• Finally, they will run out of things to do pretty quickly. In BfA a dungeon boss has more mechanics than a raid boss in vanilla. The only difficulty was trying to see what’s happening with our garbage pc-s and the bad boss balance. They clear the raids, there are no multiple difficulties, they can’t progress further. That was the point where we just logged in to go to the gate of Stormwind and duel all day and talk about real life stuff because there was nothing to do in the game anymore. Standing in cities won’t be a better experience just because they are standing there in a different version of the game, running around in Azeroth won’t be the same because everyone already knows everything, nothing will have the impact they had in 2004.

So after everyone is done, hopefully they will manage to think about BfA objectively instead of crying 24/7 on the forums about how everything is bad in BfA and there is nothing to do, bad class balance, etc, etc.

I think Classic will steal a very good bunch of the playerbase in the beginning, but mainly because its a ‘‘New shiny thing’’ ironically being a 15 year old game.
I mean just look at all the people already begging for a Burning Crusade server, goes to show that what people want isn’t Classic per se but just anything that isn’t BFA.

If the expac that comes after BFA is somewhat redeeming the game then you will see the majority of players go back to retail with the fringe few guys hanging around on Classic servers.

Most people want to play retail with the design philosophy of Classic, they don’t actually want to play the slow, tedious, monotonous, unbalanced, spellbatched snore that Vanilla is for 80% of its gameplay but its the best thing we have for now.

wow classic has been asked for. for many years it is popular it always will be blizzard r doing it because there r a lot of player. maybe increase there revenu by 60% after all after joining with activion the names not doing very good activition has a very bad name should not have joined gone in with them they should have just shut down blizzard entertainment rather than giving activition its 55% of the company the majority so what they say goes.

Just to point out, you say it’s “unsolicited two cents”, but the thread is titled “What do you think…” So it’s a pretty option question.

I can’t imagine it’ll be very popular among people playing atm, given the backlashes we’ve seen over things like flying removal, or rep grinds for allied races. Granted I’ve not done vanilla rep grinding, doing Hero of Shattrath is probably my most sadist rep grind. Games put too much on convenience, and it’s become the norm.

Now, people playing private servers, or just not playing at all anymore, probably more of a market there.

Ideal scenario is a population moving relatively freely between the 2, enriching both. Unlikely though, and that’s my optimistic thought for the decade done with.

I cant wait for classic to go live.
I hope that after that, these pointless threads about classic vs current WoW etc disapear for good.
That or the moderators starting to do their work and move all and any thread about classic to the right foruns, the classic foruns.

Nothing against classic itself, been there done that and i hope that alot of people have fun playing it.
Its just not for me and i would like to come read the general forums from current WoW and see posts about current WoW.

Cheers

“what do you think will happen to RETAIL after classic launches”. Let’s not read 3 words and pretend the rest don’t exist.

If we’re taking that route, then the volume of people crowing about how it’ll kill retail, it’s opened things up to discussion on both sides. Also, public forum, people can post their views, whether you want them to or not.

I seriously doubt retail will feel any affect of classic at all, but that’s just me.

At the very least, the people claiming it will kill off retail are on topic. The conclusion they posit is more than likely illogical, but on topic - they actually answer to what they think will happen to retail.

And yes, it is a public forum and anyone can post anything they feel like in any thread - on that note, my Golden Retriever doggy is the cutest thing in the world, and I think he is the greatest dog ever, and even though he is 15 his health seems to be fine, or at least that’s what the vet said on our last visit a few days ago - but it would certainly help a if it would actually be on topic. And because it’s a public forum, I’m also entitled to find it the funniest thing ever when certain individuals who are allegedly “not interested” in classic actually have more posts on the subject than me, a declared supporter.

1 Like

It’s a high probability that a lot of players who play classic, isn’t even playing retail any more. Some will probably leave retail for classic, but on the overall it will be like 2 different games catering to 2 different groups.

Personally I don’t play retail any more because it’s boring as F and time gated to hell with hand-holding galore from the developers, so I’ll be playing classic only.

I can believe the last part at least.

I played classic when i was i was in my teens. The game is so time consuming the hours in raid, farming leveling. Unless you are unemployed, retired, a teen or in a low income shift job you won’t get anywhere in classic.

You have to turn up at 99% attendance or fall behind drastically and as it is true raid progression with no other gear outside of the raids you have to get in at the ground floor.

Lots will flock to classic to check it out but equally the classic only players would get to check out retail as well. Honestly classic population i believe will rapidly decline after “new shiny” aspect has gone.

Nothing, if anything I think Blizzard will continue with their current modern wow phillosophy even harder as the nay-sayers will be gone.

Classic might have an impact on retail, but only if Classic pulls ridicilous numbers such as 2-4x the playerbase of modern wow.

Ultimately, BFA lovers and Classic lovers are very different. For Blizzard as a company it makes no sense to design BFA around Classic when Classic exists, you’re essentially having two versions of an mmo competing for the Classic fans when you instead could have BFA which pleases the BFA fans and Classic for the Classic fans.

TL;DR: Classic will only impact Retail design if Classic pulls much bigger numbers - to the point of which Retail players are a small minority of the overall sub count.

In my opinion, nothing much because out there is private servers with Classic WoW which works perfectly with a small number of bugs, and yet the population is not that high. Even ask you can see on Youtube many YouTubers tries to give Classic very good review. What coincidence that no one complains huh? I personally tried Classic on private server and I all can say I got bored because of old mechanic playstale. It didn’t suit me at all, I think personally i am glad which way is WoW now but I wish blizzard would start again makes legendary weapons !!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.