What drew you in to the race you roleplay?

One of the funniest people on this good Earth.

Personally just always liked the Dark Iron Dwarves. Layered villains for most of WoW’s early existence turned fully fledged Alliance constituents ready to fight just as dirty as the Horde, if not downright dirtier.

Also, they can say “For the Emperor” without it sounding too shoe-horned, but that probably says more about me than them.

Pragmatism.

:slight_smile:

A genuinely good attitude to have.

I like (especially female) Draenei for several reasons. I like their “we were once an advanced civilization but went back to a less high-society state” story. I like their appearance, their partially alien background and influence and they are the closest to both religious and science-fiction oriented race in WoW imo.

We still have not crashed the Vindicaar, but given our past records it is only a matter of time :stuck_out_tongue:

I wanted to be a fierce, relentless Warrior. I suppose there was Orc, and even Tauren, yet they didn’t have the same appeal. Never felt “right” with those choices.
Made this boy on the launch day of Cataclysm. Didn’t look back.

The best designed overworld zone, including a stunning capital city with daily content, storylines and a phenomenal raid.

1 Like

Lore and amazing aesthetics. I still miss the old days where blood elves were mana addled and unapologetically ambitious, but at least they didn’t rebrand themselves entirely.

The race in itself do not matter much to me, but I have a clear preference of the “original” races compared to the randomly invented ones (aka Void Elves, Vulpera, etcetc).

However, the race itself is not as important as the niche RP it provides in my view. In their own cultural setting, I love all of the original races equally. It is too bad people are too afraid to make niche guilds and communities these days that reflect well upon the culture of their race, but it’s probably because such guilds do not typically grow well, from what I’ve seen.

Now all guilds (almost) that exist are a mixed soup of everything, probably leaning more towards either politics/house RP or simply mercenaries and I despise it. Though I suppose the majority disagrees with me, so to each their own I suppose.

Ahhhh, I see what you did tharrr.

I like to play any and all versions of thalassian elves (although blood elves are hard nowadays because of how Horde RP is) but void elves would honestly be right up my alley even if they weren’t former blood elves. I love lovecraftian horror, and also (if RPed well), exploring the begrudging acceptance of other Alliance races. In my opinion, void elves are at their peak when there’s only one around, and he/she gets the proper odd one out treatment. They should be the strange, unsettling, alien entity that people have to work together with, and admit to the value of their aid, but will never fully trust as a friend.

Someone once told me “RPing open minded people is boring”, and I couldn’t agree more, as the one playing the character on the opposing end of said close mindedness. It is far more character developing and far more interesting story-wise if there’s an uneasy, tension-filled alliance, rather than the far too often employed “we don’t judge anyone, we’re lawful good, so we have to work together.”
So what I’m saying is, if you see a void elf, that RPer likely knew what they were signing up for, and are actually seeking the struggle that comes with being a void elf, and thus would actually appreciate a healthy amount of prejudice, as long as it doesn’t block them out of further RP.

And as for non-Void corrupted elves, I just really like their lore, to be honest. I love their culture and looks, and just their whole general vibe, with not as much as voidies, but still enough underdog themes to them.
I think it started out as me starting to play WoW and going “Ooh, blood elves are cool, let’s go with that!” and over time, they kinda just became my thing. I tried RPing other races, but I don’t get the same attachment, the same sense of familiarity and confidence that I do when going with a thalassian.

2 Likes

I mean, you should try and tell that to the Stormwind Void Elves😅

I started out as Gnome Mage in TBC, switched to Night Elf at the end of WoTLK and never looked back.

I am full in on the Night Elves!

1 Like

Werewolf. Evil laugh.
I never played Horde, I’m Alliance only, worgen was a chance to play a ferocious character, something of a monster in my faction which at the time consisted of Human, short human, shorter human, purple elf and protoss. It may have been the “furry” race of the time but I was there in the corner with Werewolf horror movies running in my head, playing that to the hilt.

1 Like

i believe night elf mages was introduced in Cataclysm. no?

1 Like

Thou art correct.

1 Like

Wasn’t it the prepatch of the Cataclysm, tho?

Otherwise I switched in Cata :joy:

:slightly_frowning_face:

One reason why I played them as well. You have almost no limits as a trading caravan because even if you are loyal to your allies in the horde you are still out there on the rode looking for your own. I would argue you can come up with a reason for most guilds to go anywhere but its just easier as Vulpera because “New Supply run in Wherever”

To not just copy myself for the xth time I wrote here why I played a Vulpera:

I dont play them anymore because instead of going into any hint of deep lore or any soul whatsovever (or heck even leaving them alone like Pandaren) Blizzard instead made the choice to quirkmax them out and kill every tiny bit of culture they had to make them the funny speaking uwu californians that wink at the camera. And I just cant handle that…

I changed to Orc now because I love the warrior Culture and especially how the different clans go about it. Also to have an extreme different to my Vulpera before, as now I play a race that was there for it all. From Warcraft 1 until now. With my Vulpera it was a good excuse to not know some lore because he was in Voldun when XYZ happened. Now, not only as an orc but as an old Orc, he was there. For almost everything and that gives you so much to work with when you write your family and backstory and how the bigger story of Azeroth affected them. (especially as a Dragon maw now)

In general I love to play races that give me a good feeling of their flavour and culture. To then try and be as “orcish” or as “vulpera” as I can since everybody will have a different interpretation of that anyway and also because sooner or later you will get a unique feel to your character despite of how much of an clishee they start.

1 Like

It’s why I kind of like the vulpera. To add on this: everyone saying dracthyr are this cool concept because they are free to roam the world and “find themselves”, the vulpera did it first!

(This is not meant to judge dracthyrs btw, but I am just saying that the structure of “new race isolated for a while has to explore the customs of the world” has been done over and over, and dracthyrs aren’t a novelty in that regard).

1 Like

in 2010 I started as a worgen because I LOVED Gilneas! The ambience and atmosphere, so trist and so romantic :heart:

And then in MoP I suddenly had the urge to play Horde and never regretted that choice. I played a Darkspear troll when I was about 18(?) and grew with him, he grew with me and it was so much fun to play in a more nature aligned guild with Trolls, Tauren and Orcs. I learned the background of the Trolls, but the Loa actually did not appeal to me at all and my Troll went from (first) warrior to Rogue.
After that he changed to a Pandaren Guild (as my former Guild disbanded) as the only Troll and went from Rogue to hunter with a Wyvern. I tried Pandaren for myself and liked them very much, but nah, not my cup of tea to actually roleplay. And when my best friend (leader of the Pandaren guild) and I decided to start again with RP in shadowlands after a pause They both were back for the past years on the wandering Isle where my Troll went Monk (more a Yoga Guru with healing misty hands)
That Character was quite a ride of developement and maybe some mistakes were made as I too was at one point a cringy teen/adult.

I would’ve played a Tauren because I LOVE Tauren culture! But to roleplay one… maybe some time later.

For now I give my Dracthyr a round through Kalimdor to learn and help…

OR I try my creepy Laughing Skull Orc! I LOVE that concept of a creepy Laughing Skull Orc with just noisy breathing from behind his mask like Michael Myers and his bone knive in hand… and then just talking about the lovely weather or a cute animal he just saw. And what its bones might look like.

And that’s JUST the Horde side! As you might see I like more wild/natural culture based characters and find it hard to find such on Alliance side (that I also like) but, as I said, I LOVE Gilneas and I like to squeeze my Worgen Druid of the Talon in some spare time to roleplay with.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.