What drew you in to the race you roleplay?

Is it culture, lore, appearance, architecture, zone, faction, etc?

I will start

Blood elf

I like the architecture, lore, zone, appearance, almost everything.

High elf

Ive always wanted to roleplay a High elf mage or hunter, ever since i saw the NPC’S in Dalaran and Stormwind, and heard their smooth voice similar to that of the night elves. I was also a big fan of Warcraft 2 Alleria until she turned void.

Void elves

At first i was not a fan of themm, but they grew on me. Especially now that they have black hair. I think they are really fun to roleplay especially in the light-based alliance faction.

though i think they lack the Nzoth eyes to really make them cool.

Night elf

lore, architecture, female apperance is nice. Overall great race to roleplay.

Trolls

Great and tragic lore, very underrated race, and amazing shakira style dance ::dancer:
whats not to love. Even dont mind the toe nail.

Undead/ Undead elves

cool and tragic lore, and kinda creepy at times. Very fun!

Vulpera

ignoring horrible furry steroetypes, Vulpera are actually fun to roleplay. They are nomads which is flexible in terms of where you want to roleplay, and they have an amazing lore and hearthstone racial. I remember sitting in a camp fire in the barrens and just chatting with a group of nomad vulperas. then we went to Azshara to swim in the swimming pool with the goblins, before heading to the barrens again to sell and trade some items with passing travellers.

9 Likes

Bieing as hawt as a hawk.

2 Likes

“its leviosah, not leviosaah!”

2 Likes

For me it’s creating a story from beginning to the end. At start I wanted a night elf whose mother was very interested in magic and despite the parents’ disapproval she left home to study, married and had a daughter. Daughter (the oc) studied magic as well, was very interested in frost and teleportation, but made a huge mistake and teleported herself to a different world (draenor after the portal). But then I changed for a Draenei, with a concept of being a priestess then the light forsakes her, shattrah gets destroyed and she has to flee.

But I need to get all the chronicles events in order to be able to make it right or close enough

3 Likes

You peaked my intrest…
What’s the story about your white spacegoat if I may ask?

Lightforged are basicly the ultimate warrior Draenei, I doubt they’d ever run from a fight. They were infused with the light to be able to confront and defeat the burning legion afterall.

1 Like

I really, really like the works of H. P. Lovecraft.

Cosmic horror and body horror are just top for me, and I liked the idea of begrudging acceptance within the Alliance, especially with a character that wouldn’t otherwise be incredibly powerful (I. E. Demon Hunters or Death Knights)

3 Likes

When I was 16 years younger it was mostly the familiarity and my good memories of the strategy games.

Nowadays I just enjoy the romantic angle of playing a bog standard race of humanity that outperforms, successfully defeats and effectively conmands centuries, millenia or aeons-old cultures and people.

1 Like

When I started playing WoW I thought it was a funny and silly concept to have an eight foot tall monster person casting holy healing spells and from there it’s just made me want to play all of the animalistic (furry) races.

2 Likes

it was at the time the most humiliating race to be ganked by

10 Likes

What I have is not a lot and still in work… she was a priestess (devoted just as her brother and mother) her father was a warrior. During the orc invasion she lost her fiancé, her father, the light forsaken her and her brother, but she didn’t die: she was injured, fled towards Nagrand where she found some exiled orcs. She learned how to fight and started to have interest in shamanism because of one of the elders there. The throne of the elements didn’t answer her only magic (frost in particular) but the light forced her to get back to her original duties. She is not a lightforged in my story, the markings are more of a prison until she fulfilled her destiny.

But she walks a different path and very intrigued about frost magic. It’s probably a Mary-Sue crappy thinking from me, but I want her to accompany Kalec to “save what remained” of Sindra - kind of rewriting a bit ICC - she badly injured, Kalec would finish off Sindra and use part of her essence to “save” the oc. He made her suffer badly, she can’t control anything and becomes a ticking bomb. She’s being left alone, Kalec goes back to fix the flight, work with Kirin Tor (or whatever the actual lore is), she goes back to Karazhan to try to find the other person that can help her.

That’s all so far :rofl: by her lore she’d be a warrior/frost mage so in game she’ll be a DK - I need the plate, sword and all the jazz :rofl:

Feel free to roast :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been in love with night elf aesthetics since WC3, for two reasons. One, because they’re elves, and elves have been one of my favorite fantasy concepts since I read LOTR at age 11 or so. And two, because they’re night- and moon-themed.

The first WoW character I ever created was a night elf too, though I didn’t RP-main one until WoD because I found their vanilla models somewhat offputting. But even before that, a lot of my RP involved interacting with the night elf community on other races. Creating Lintian gave me an opportunity to say some things about night elf RP tendencies I witnessed, both positive and negative, that would be difficult for my existing characters to voice and still remain in character.

3 Likes

I like high elf lore and aesthetics, and enjoy playing the underdog. Also I just vibe with Alliance more than Horde.

4 Likes

I play several races, but their lore and aesthetics are pretty much what caught my attention with all of them. In the case of my priestess, it was also the storytelling potential of straddling the moral lines between good and evil, and letting RP determine how and why she might ultimately lean more one way or the other.

2 Likes

I’ve always RP’d a variety of criminal and cultist characters in the past, I thought I would switch it up and play a paladin for once. Decided to go for a Draenei this time.

Ever since, I’ve done nothing but RP this character. The race’s story, filled with tragedy and loss, is what captivated me the most.

I’m also a big fan of the aesthetic. Crystal’s, crystal’s everywhere.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM

Ever since I rolled into WoW since Vanilla, my first character be an undead.
I just love that I can be a zombie. Love their evil lore. Love how I can try something unique with the background of being an Undead. Love how my character is basicely a cannibal but it’s okay, since she’s like… a zombie.

And ever since a disturbed little kid I’ve been drawing zombies and skeletons. So I love to draw Undeads too as you can kinda mess with their autonomy that’s falling apart.

I also like that Blondie has survived multiple assaults that would kill an ordinary breather. Losing her limbs, being shot straight into the chest, being buried alive. She sometimes walks around with barbed arrows in her chest because she can’t get them out herself.

I also mixed the Undead Nihilism together with the Western-Horde straight-up brutality and savagery. Creating a character that isn’t the typical cunning Eastern-Undead, but neither having any idea of honour like the ordinary Orc. Being a complete misfit.

2 Likes

Humans are pretty easy.

1 Like

Back in the ancient days when I started playing World of Warcraft, the draw for my character selection was that the Alliance had the Paladins. So, of course, I made a human Paladin (How dull, I know some say but back then, I wasn’t keen on any races than Humans and Dwarves (Couldn’t pick Tauren on the same server after all, but one was made on another server)).

Then come The Burning Crusade, lo and behold, the Horde had Elves I liked, not them Night Elves (no hate to Night Elf players by the way) but actual Elves of interest, and they had Paladins too!? So, I switched from US servers to EU servers and made a Blood Elf Paladin. Not many know him nowadays, he started out as ‘Gehco’ but was reported once we arrived at Argent Dawn from The Venture Co, because the name wasn’t roleplay enough (I accepted this punishment, and appealed to at least get the name back for something else in the future) and they gave me a new one, Taelan. I enjoyed Blood Elves because of their lore, their behavior, and the structure in their own society - on the side, I of course played a Tauren Druid, I mean, who could avoid doing that?! Tauren was the powerhouse, honorable yet bestial enough to create a fearsome display in combat and roleplay. I liked their portrayal. Serene until provoked.

The Blood Elf and Tauren were the main troop (plus hundreds of alts - yes, I’m an altoholic) up until Cataclysm - the highlight of Cataclysm for me were Worgens and Goblins. I picked Worgen because of the whole Victorian feel, it was human, but not quite human, and not quite werewolf liked that they were a shattered kingdom yet still claimed to hold on as a kingdom. And of course, liked the look of the transformation and model. Then the Goblin, the bastards of the street, the hustlers, and scammers, the swindlers, and backstabbers. I loved their general race build-up and existence of their own for quick moolah. They claim power when so small and if roleplayed right, they can be so fun. My first Worgen was a Rogue, a Butler by the name of Charlesston (Yes, a stupid extra ‘S’) who I extremely enjoyed and even in PvP had phrases a man of service would have when doing things like Shadowstepping, or sapping people. Charlesston later got switched out with Lochton, when Outlaw go revealed in Legion.

Then we have Pandaren, what is not to like in them? I loved their connection to cooking/brewing, as well as their stories and journeys. Loved the Pandaria setting too. And of course, I had to make a monk, who is now a wandering chef that a few people have been lucky to meet.

I believe that mentions all my main choices of races? Human, Tauren, Blood Elf, Worgen, Goblin, Pandaren - maybe a little Dracthyr? I am keener on the visage options than the Dragonform but it is slowly sticking.

2 Likes

I usually like short races. I also found the lore of the gnomes to be quite neat.

4 Likes

Orcs look better in plate than any other race.

They’ve also got some of the best laid lore to fall back on in game during character creation as well as they can fit in to any setting.

We are the Swiss Army Knife of RP Character creation.

As for my Quel’dorei Paladin well… I love the formality, the aesthetic, the lore. And they look good with glasses.

1 Like

Well. My first RP character was this one. I had been on Warcraft for a year, on Horde, on a pvp realm. I hated pvp so when my partner at the time quit, I noticed there were RP servers and moved to AD. So I needed a new char! Since I had no idea about Alliance h aving never been on it, I decided to pick that faction, and soon made a female NElf, aka Vax. Because they looked cool.

I got into RP and someone asked if she was a San’layn and i was like wtf is that lol, googled it and was like OH DAMN I LOVE THEM??? So I decided she was indeed a San’layn. So in the end nothing drew me to be, firstly, a Nelf, nor secondly a San’layn.

However!

I RP blood elves and high elves these days because elves are a loved race by myself. Preferably I play BElf though because I find them sooo super awesome. I just love the themes, colours, history, appearances, NPCS… Everything.

3 Likes