What happened to the HD Textures?

In the Cata Beta we had a toggle for HD Textures which only lasted one day and then they went away, does anyone know what happened to this feature?

Blizzard have been radio silent about it, so we have no way of knowing if the feature is even going to return in the future.

Has anyone heard anymore information about this since?

4 Likes

As with everything that gets teased during the beta of a classic we’ll probably get it in Classic MOP :grin:

They are preparing them for the upcoming MoP Classic, the true pinnacle of Classic WoW.

1 Like

Works for me! I loved how the textures looked on the Beta and I hope we get them on retail too.

My opinion is that I don’t need such thing. If it would be optional from battle.net launcher to do download “official modification” that would replace all textures with AI upscaled ones for anyone who is interested, then so be it.

I however was never big fan of AI upscale HD remasters, because they create graphical inconsistencies where some objects feel out of place. They simply does not fit in to the rest of what is being displayed on the screen.

When it comes to 3D graphics in video games, the most important thing for me is not the highest possible texture resolution with sharpest details, but consistency where texture resolution, lights, shadows and polygonal detail of 3D models fits together to create perfect balance.

It wasn’t forced in the beta, it was an optional toggle that came with an additional download. So if they added it not everyone would be forced to use it.

1 Like

When were they enabled on beta? I remember the option but it didn’t work when i played beta…

And on MoP beta it’s being prepared for WoD.
And then we get the actual HD when we hit Dragonland Classic.

It only worked for a few people, I heard the majority of people couldn’t even download the textures. There’s a WoWhead article that shows a side by side of the normal textures compared to the HD textures we had in the beta.