What happens to the timeline in Shadowlands?

So a new player finishes their first character. They’ve done BFA, done Shadowlands, and now want to try out one of those cool new classes they’ve seen.

They do their races’ respective starting zone, and get to pick one of the expansions to level through. Naturally, TBC takes them through Outland, WotLK through Northrent, etc… However: the current 1-60 game content takes place after the Cataclysm, meaning TBC and WotLK happen before it. So a player that decides to go through the main content is surely going to be confused about the fact that the first thing they play is going to mention a part of the story that seemingly disappears for the next two, then reappears later? I sure would be?

I’m really asking if Shadowlands itself is doing anything to actually streamline this timeline? I’ve done some research and can’t find any mention of what 1-60 current content is going to look like as 10-50 content, let alone what the timelines are like.

The only streamlining there will be is like you said; new players will have a set path to follow in the new starting zone 0-10, then BfA 10-50 then SL 50-60.
After that they get to choose and either come confused to these forums and receive a link tot wowpedia, or find wowpedia themselves.

1 Like

Yeah, it just seems strange that I can’t find any mention of what’s happening to current main 2 continents in Shadowlands levelling. Will there be a set path per race? Can a player go between all of the zones at will? Some of those zones are part of later expansions, so are they inaccessible if somebody picks the normal WoW to level in?

What is normal wow?

To clarify: any NEW player will have to level through the new starting zone, then BfA, then Shadowlands.

Nothing is going to happen to the main 2 continents. Anyone who has access to anything beyond the NEW player route should be able to hop at will between any expac.
But the intent is that it should only take 1 expac to level from 10-50. With 1-10 being the chosen starting zone (either the new one or the racial one) and 50-60 being Shadowlands.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.