What is Spellfire?

Hello!

So I’ve been re-running old raids for fun and I’ve stumbled upon a thing called “spellfire”, which was inflicted by Mimiron Central unit. I double checked and even the combat journal describes the ability as doing “spellfire” damage. At first I thought it was a fancy way to describe fire damage, but since the plasma looks like arcane, I was wondering what school did it belong to? Is it a combination of two schools? I haven’t found any answer searching the web so any help would help greatly.
Thank you!

Probably an artefact to have the boss mechanic bypass player gear resistances back when that was a thing by introducing a unique damage type.

wowhead page for the boss shows is as School Damage (Fire, Arcane):

While I can’t think of another place where this kind of ability would be used, I think it might be (story-wise) related to one of Algalon’s quotes:

I have seen worlds bathed in the Makers’ flames, their denizens fading without so much as a whimper. Entire planetary systems born and razed in the time that it takes your mortal hearts to beat once. Yet all throughout, my own heart devoid of emotion… of empathy. I. Have. Felt. Nothing. A million-million lives wasted. Had they all held within them your tenacity? Had they all loved life as you do?

/offtop
there is a bunch of odd effects that include fire: frostfire, shadowflame, hellfire, holy fire. Might be another addition to the list.

gl hf

Thank you, both of you for your insight. So it is Arcane/fire as expected that says a lot to me! I found really interesting your take on the different “fires” and how this one could just be another one of them.
On my end, I was thinking that : As arcane is described (I think it’s tides of vengeance) as “mathematical formulas” and Mimiron being the most brilliant scientist of Azeroth, he just found a way to scientifically produce Arcane, but since arcane isn’t really a matter you can build upon, he had to mix it up with fire. Is it completely stupid?
Also I think it would make a great novel focused around gnomes! They meet Mimiron who teaches them about all of this and they recreate Gnomeregan as a city of techno-magical wonder with “spellfire” being the main combustible, a bit like dalaran but different since arcane is not treated in the same way. And at the end they finally add gnomes shamans as master of the true elements (physics).
Anyway i’ve disgress far too much, thanks a lot for your help guys opens up a ton of fun for me :smiley:

1 Like

It’s hard to say what the devs actually want it to be. Chronicles describe arcane as some kind of volatile latent magic.

Order is most commonly perceived in reality as arcane magic. This type of energy is innately volatile, and wielding it requires intense precision and concentration.

The Pantheon possessed a natural affinity to the latent magic in the universe.

They roam the cosmos like walking worlds, imbued with the raw power of creation itself.

There was a MoP questline (legendary) with the claim

Wrathion says: It is filled with Titan magic, the language of creation…

© https://wow.gamepedia.com/Heart_of_the_Thunder_King_(quest)

How to combine this all together? Can’t really say. But given that the Pantheon left Pillars of Creation to the Keepers, maybe they were limited in how they could use this kind of magic. Or Mimiron wanted to emphasise a specific side of it. Either case might fit your idea, I suppose.

There is a thread nearby, and it seems that not everyone shares your enthusiasm when it comes to gnome stories. Could it be good? Maybe. Will it? That I think depends on the execution.

gl hf

I know this might sound silly, but even after all these years this quote gives me goosebumps. It’s probably one of the best boss quotes this game has ever produced.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.