What is the current population cap?

Since layers are now removed, has anyone figured out what the current population cap on each server is?

Most likely, a Medium server have about 2 times more players than Vanilla, a High 3 times more, and a Full servers 4-5 times more people.

So, in terms of concurrent players, Medium with 6-7k, High with 8-9k and Full with 10k and above.

And the above numbers might be on the conservative side. Blizzard effed up Classic, betting on a 90% dropout in 1 month, creating servers with a capacity able to sustain a 90% loss in players and still remain around 3k players.

However, since very few people (who were called crazy), like me, argued that the player drop won’t be even close to 90%, but more like 40% or less, while the vast majority argued in favor of 80-90% dropout…well, we are were we are.

Classic servers cannot sustain such high populations for a long time. And I bet that Blizzard still wants Classic to fail, so J.A.B is proven right, making everything possible to ensure that A LOT of people will quit, because Phase 2 being implemented on servers that are 4 times bigger than Vanilla.

When you have 3k concurrent players, WPvP is more than acceptable. But when you are dealing with 7-10k or more, there is NO WAY that WPvP is even close to acceptable. Everything is camped to death…because there are TOO MANY PEOPLE on Classic servers.

3 Likes

What do you base these numbers on? Just gut feeling? I mean mograine had a que yesterday and i am pretty sure there were nowhere near 10k players online.

Yeah
One aspect is people know the rewards so more take part, but the biggest factor is that there are just more players allowed on the server at the same time. I never saw this many players online at the same time back in the day. People roamed to kill for honor but it wasn’t camped like this. I was in my 40’s when the honor system was added after the original launch. This is a different beast. I just spent my hour of ptime yesterday grinding lvl 53 mobs in a remote area.

I think so too, but i want somewhat exact numbers. One thing you need to consider though is that al larger % of ppl is 60 than back then.

I’ve no idea but its pretty large, right? It could be around 10k based on people’s experiences.

Around 6-7k

I have not had a chance to verify, but it is fairly likely to be 6 000 concurrent after which queues appear as needed.

Actually one major difference as well is when the honor system and rewards were added you needed to maintain the rank to wear the gear. Ie to wear rank 14 gear you had to stay rank14 :slight_smile: Not something most people would do now. From that perspective they have created a non authentic recreation of what a vanilla pvp server was like. The current massive incentive didn’t exist in the beginning.

It’s the same thing as with flasks. When we did MC flasks didn’t persist through death so no one used them until that changed.

Well, thank God you are “pretty sure”…

My numbers are based on common sense. I played Vanilla on a High pop servers, and capital cities didn’t even had 1 quarter of the people I see now on my server.

Not rocket science. When you had a Vanilla server with almost 3k people, Orgrimmar had tens of players, and compared to a Classic servers with hundreds in Orgrimmar…yeah, I base my numbers on common sense.

Easily a High/Full Classic server today is 4-6 times the biggest Vanilla servers. There isn’t even a doubt.

I have seen claims of 6-8k, with variance from Realm to Realm as they can be adjusted individually.

Still no real numbers, yes we all know it is more than back in the days, but how much more exactly?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.