What is with these low-level tanks?

Im talking about lvl 60. Pala tanks are fine for lvling, not as good as wars imo but still fine

Fyi deep prot is not the best tank spec

I’ve had far more fun with bear tanks tbh - but I levelled as a feral tank (now resto) and in general for non raid instances bear tanks are more fun for the group.

Thats not saying a prot tank with gear - isn’t a better end game tank. 2H tanks tend to die first. even with high dps groups - all it takes is a mistimed heal and the damage they can take on some mobs means they die before the heal comes. even with good healers.

1 Like

It’s ok, I realise your first language isn’t English and it read differently to what you meant.

It’s a trade off, you take more damage, therefor generate more rage, therefor allowing the DPS to hold back less, which allows for quicker killing of mobs
Can it be done? you’re right, it can
Is it fun? that has nothing to do with the existance of it or why it came into being

A few things to keep in mind in that is;

• You’re not tanking with a shield and should pull accordingly
  • You can always slap on a shield for big pulls or when interupts are needed and should do so
  • Check with your healer/give them a warning.

It pushing more responsability on the healer has nothing to do with viability if the healer can handle the responsability
Plenty of runs are done and plenty of healers do not mind, therefor to claim it isn’t viable simply because it means the healer has more to do is a bit misleading

It’s not something anyone should just do, you need knowledge of the dungeons you’re tanking to make it work

1 Like

Sadly, we are often forced into 2h tanking by mages who start aoeing as soon as they see me switching to battle stance in preparation for charge… I MUST charge in with a two hander and ww, and just then switch to def stance, else there is no way I can keep aggro.

Two-handed tanking is META. There really is no need for a shield when tanking low level dungeons, except in very niche situations. All you need to succeed is the ability to maintain aggro. That’s about it.

1 Like

What the hell do you think low level means?

Oh yeah. I love watching a zerker tank with a ravager or worse adderalling their way through a dungeon under their level getting themselves killed because they charge in at 600 mana and dropping DPS to nothing while doing less damage than I would as a retadin.

Yeah I love that.

2 Likes

Doing that when the healer is oom is of course not ok, but honestly, on my warrior with the ravager, the damage is just totally OP, not uncommon I do 40% of the group’s damage in SM while tanking… without wipes and struggling healers.

When I LoS pull mobs I stay in my spot waiting for them. If they’re not coming that means they’re being tanked by somebody else who clearly knows what they are doing so I consider my job done :wink:

4 Likes

I’m glad we agree in general.
Problem tho is - people just do PUG runs with 2h without asking a word or letting others know. I myself, as a healer did quit few groups due to tank just going yolo with Wirlwind Ax in the past.

Viability has nothing to do with it - hell yeah it’s possible. But shooving their part of a responsibility into others… Well, I still rather take Bear over Warrior any day.

As a druid tank… Ive never had a problem with this :smiley: TPS or better mitigation…why not both?

1 Like

Uhuh look at the top 10 fastest mc clearing guilds. Not one of them has a druid tank in main roster

I’m not interested in the 1% of players playing in the mind numbing guilds like mechanical sheep. This is a GAME to enjoy, relax, de-stress. Druid tanks are great, warriors who never consider the rest of the group are the pits. We had another one tonight in Razorfen, dashing in with his two hander pulling massive amounts and totally unable to comprehend that the healer is /oom and he’s lost half his pull who are beating the daylights out of the healer. He wiped us twice then left, we completed with the 4 of us, no further drama.

4 Likes

Onyxia and Sulfuron - both good examples of a druid tank actually being better(Onyxia phase 3) and tanking the boss with the other warriors dealing with adds on sulfuron. The druid seems to get aggro for onyxia a lot better in phase 3. And we’ve found on sulfuron it works better for us that way even though Tanks have most of the tier sets. This in no way says Druids are better tanks - they are circumstancially better on some events.

I’ve experienced a dual weald tank in Strat Undead. I have reasonable gear as a healer, i pretty much hotted and rank 7 healing touched all the way through the baron fight - we did wipe on two occasions - an accidental pull - noones fault. And 4 manning Baron as hunter went offline - we then lost our rather low dps shadow priest and brought in a rogue and another - dps i forget what and boss went down as normal - it wasn’t the fasted kill - my fastest kill is still with me as when i was tanking - but that says more about the dps i had with me than specifically about the tank. His dps did make a difference vs a prot - his threat was decent. A weak healer would have struggled though

To be honest, it doesn’t matter too much if the tank goes with a 2h, dual wield or a shield. However the tank is going in, the dungeon will be a nightmare if he believes he can do whatever he wants and everybody else has to adjust.

I have tanked no problem in every possible way (2h, dual wield or shield). The only catch is that I always told my party what I was doing and why, and I was always open to change my ways if someone was struggling with it. It’s as simple as that. Some of you would be amazed about how rewarding it can be to show a bit of consideration for the other people in the party.

3 Likes

I agree with what you put - the tank did all the pulls and they were all controlled packs no over pulls - i suspect had we pulled extra mobs without the shield we wouldn’t have survived where as with a druid tank or tank specced tank with shield it was more suriveable (still requiring good healing). But yes people need to expect what is required for a DW tank or 2H tank, it will require more healing - not really any more cc in most cases but you have to be more careful not to do silly pulls. or aggro other adds.

Otherwise totally agree with the whole post - just doing it and expecting a positive reaction and everyone to just deal with it is not a positive attitude. the tank we went with said he was dual wealding before we went in and so I expected to need to heal more - I did need to pull faster heals more frequently but overall healing probably wasn’t any more than normal group wise.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.