What is your favorite thing about Death knights?

As this expansion is death themed I ask, what is your favorite thing about Death knights and your expectations around them?

How they never fail to do something dumb with their grips at least once during a raid night, resulting in loads of laughter.

1 Like

All that edge.

When I’m playing mine and click on an Illidari NPC who turns around and says:

“I Have Sacrificed Everything , What Have YOU Given?”

…without a hint of irony.

3 Likes

I like the sword runes, the gate to their own base.
I like the auras in pvp.
But as dps they lack mobility and range which I dislike.
As tanks they’re ok I guess.

All 3 specs are enjoyable to play and need just 1 2hand weapon.

frost should be played with 2 x 1

handed weapons which gives you an enchant on each weapon

Top 1 frost dk clearly needs your advice, dm him asap

2 Likes

Favourite WAS to play blood when it was dps

4 Likes

They smell funny :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re true to their class fantasy in mechanical terms.

Death knights are meant to undead juggernauts, heavily armoured, heavily armed, with magic at their backing. They march into combat at a steady pace unperturbed.

Mechanically this is sound as they lack mobility tools (and their only speed increase is plausibly magical), they have ways to prevent damage before reaching their target, steal health back, fighting them can feel oppressive because of the snares and the fact they can drag you into melee with them. It all fits. It works well and sells them properly.

I compare this to warriors for example, similarly meant to be heavily armoured combatants and yet they jump around like they’re Spider-Man and sprint around the battlefield like the Flash. From the way they move in combat with the leaps and charges you might think they’re a class steeped in the “agile and cunning” fantasy, yet they’re not. Now don’t get me wrong. I understand warrior is a very wide term that can mean a lot of different things, but for me personally I feel death knight is a good example of a class that behaves like it is characterised whereas warrior can do a lot of “surprising” things that require you to humour the idea they’re obviously not just a solider and verge on some kind of meta human type level of competenence given they can jump around repeatedly and literally shout at their enemies to damage them (talent) as well as throw magical stunning hammers and turn into a strange colossus temporarily.

I think it’s more an issue of ways to make a generic “melee armed fighter” class interesting than anything else though.

One of the specs has the word “holy” in it.

They are edgelords, and I like it.

Death Grip.
It’s still a phenomenal spell.

I started playing WoW in late Wrath (2010). I remember making a Druid, which is my main to this day, but I also remember seeing Death Knight’s everywhere. I was so new to the game! They looked amazing. They started at level 55!! Their eyes glowed!! They had different voices!! To me it was just the fantasy of the class that made me really want to level one. They were heroes of the Horde or Alliance, who died and were raised from the dead and forced to do the Lich King’s bidding.

My DK was my first max level character. As soon as my Druid got to level 55, I switched to levelling a Night Elf DK and I can still remember dinging level 80 in Howling Fjord at like 5:30 in the morning (I was only 19 then; I had stayed up all night playing). Now she’s just sat on that server, having not played her since MoP. Logged in on her the other week and she has mainly Timeless Isle gear!

2 Likes

I always liked the feel of the class regardless of spec that it is unyielding until defeated. Always reminds me of that bit in that WOTLK dungeons where Arthas is slowly coming after you breaking the ice walls. Slow, but unyielding.

3 Likes

Dk used to be my main. I love everything about that class, literally everything, but after two years of playing dh and monk I can’t play it anymore. I can’t give up that godlike mobility. When you play those two classes for a while and then switch to another, you feel like you’ve switched from a racehorse to a donkey.

they grip baddies and I can pew pew them more efficiently.

In pve the class fantasy might hold true but in pvp you are rooted and sapped all the time.
Doesn’t really feels like a juggernaut but a rock.
For fury warriors it’s ok to be mobile.
Also dk need urgently new voices. Current ones sound like someone was talking while wearing a bucket on their head.

Unholy DK AoE is almost as satisfying as old seed of corruption. Downside being that there’s about 6000 GCDs between your start point and your peak.