What part of Bolstering do tanks not understand?

Is it that difficult to go slower? I’m venting because the last 3 keys where depleted (not mine though) because the tanks won’t slow down just a bit.

I hate that all affixes are healer’s fault.

Bolstering is a dps affix. It’s the dps job to focus highest HP target and not just AOE everything.

Sure but some pulls with bolstering just aren’t smart. Doing a massive pull in ToTT including the 2 mobs that cast crushing depths probably isn’t going to go well. Sure, they could focus those 2 but then the chances are more casts will go through because swapping to get casts is just inherently more inefficient.

Pulling the 7 or 8 mobs after that together probably isn’t going to go well.

Sure, it can be done but I just don’t see the need to do high risk pulls that result in conga lines of runbacks. Even 25’s are likely to be timed if you go slightly lower risk.

Also, over simplifying it a little because some tanks still chain pull on a 25. Why in hell you’d pull 3 almost dead mobs into the next 3 casters to triple bolster them making dangerous casts lethal ones is beyond me.

This is a bit of a disjointed inchoherent essay because its late but I tried ToTT 3 times earlier as a healer, every one got bricked and every time I’d say it was the tanks fault for just doing inexplicably stupid stuff. I’m not saying nobody else is completely blameless but you do need to think “how is this going to play out?” as a tank.

3 Likes

Its not. There is absolutely nothing to heal if you get 1-shot by a 2M water bolt. :slight_smile:

I agree, and I know dps can’t save the key if the tank does something utterly stupid, but they do have a lot more tools than they use a lot of the time. (For example, if the tank moves to the next pack when 2 or 3 mobs are not quite dead, most groups have enough CC between them to stop the survivors from the last pack from following while they finish them off, but dps zugzug brain makes this challenging.)

As for ToTT… it’s a rough key this week. Up to a point, you can split the pulls with the sentinels, but we’re at the point now where you don’t time it if you don’t pull them together. A good VDH can keep the casters locked down while the group focuses the sentinels, I can prevent crushing depths on my ret pala if I bubble before the cast finishes (I assume that applies to any immunity), my LoH removes a big chunk of the absorb, a prot’s LoH removes most/all of it, spellwarding can prevent it, anyone can use the toxic health pot to help out the healer…

The biggest problem (in any week, but difficult weeks like bolstering make it more apparent) is that most players aren’t using their full toolkit.

I actually managed to time a +20 throne last night on my baby shaman. Everything really, really hurt there. Was very satisfying in the end. (It wasn’t a PUG though - well, just one guy was from the tool.) I have a lot of respect for players who successfully did that dungeon this week on actually high keys.

Let me tell you that I wont even try. ToT hurts a lot as it is, with out affixes.

So there are a lot of wipes and depletes. Im not going through that this week.

Call me a coward. :frowning:

But if you need tips, or situations where you had trouble. Let me know cause I got a ton of tips for that dungeon. Courtesy of a ton of wipes… :smiley:

1 Like

I found the drowning debuff pretty challenging, in part because everyone else was taking damage at the same time. In retrospect, I think I could have used the Spirit Link totem in this situation, but wanted to hold it for the dogs (which weren’t a problem because I had two hunters and they used their arrow thing).

The other really hairy situation was the gauntlet before the last boss, especially the two big elementals at the end of it. I actually used lust there when the second one got bolstered as the end boss isn’t usually an issue on fortified (at 20 at least, have never done TotT at higher levels). I used Spirit Link here, but before the blostering - should have held it for that, I think.

Bolsterring isnt a tank or a healer affix. Dps doesnt know how it works tbh thats the problem.

You got the right ideas there.

1. drowning debuff: Spirit link it. Especially the 1st one on pull. Because it might sound weird, but you want DDs to blast that pull and make sure it lasts as little as possible. Especially the casters. By the time the 2nd drown shows up (if it does) everything but the big guy is dead. Then, apply earth shield on that 1 guy before you heal. And then start pumping. The “heal absorb” counts as negative HP, so you will be healing him for 100% more with every heal you do.
    1. Dogs: The dogs get stoneskin totem, and the slow totem. The dogs do nothing if DDs just move. The slow totem helps them, stone skin totem helps them if they take damage, AND for the tank that is getting mauled. Just dont forget to cast it after the tank has clumped up the pack. You dont want slowed down mobs that stay in narnia.
    1. Overall healing: Drop Cloudburst 1-2 s after BL. Damage and weave some Chain Heals (even if you overheal) and focus on CCing. Interrupts, Cap totem, Thunderstruk, those things. Those will give more value than anything else. And if someones life is kinda low, pop Cloudburst for instant 0 to 100 on him.

And I think that is enough detail for now. You will find out the rest at your own pace. :slight_smile:

The gauntlet before the last boss: Here its just CD management really. You have to be a bit more “proactive” with them and use them at specific moments.

Your best friends are, and will be CloudBurst totem. But you are right, you should aim to have link for the 1st AoE the double elemental does. And by the time the 2nd one comes, you should have another CD off cooldown.

One thing you can do, is mark 1 of the elemental with a skull. If nobody has done so already. The most annoying thing that can happen, is to have them both die at the same time.

Thats how I do ToT atleast. Laren does it better… :smiley: But its good enough to deplete ToT27 by 2 secconds (how frustrating :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

it can be a tank affix…

I had several tanks who liked chain pulling and what it meant was that they engaged the next pack while there were 2 enemies just below 300k hp and died as soon as he engaged the next pack bolstering the whole pack.
That slows down and makes everything more dangerous.
By going too fast it made you slower.

smart is different.

also everything that is a dps affix is always epic fail as nobody feels responsible and does nothing.
Just did a 22 wm and people didn’t even skill their cc to help with incorp.
By this level you would thing people actually know how to play the game but I guess not.

just dps thet are dum dum cleave even do add everbloom stack up 50 stack buff all do tank duty to make sure he pick adds thet wont be problem till bl or cooldown up again thet on tank dps need learn stop dps cant heal 50 100 stack bolstring no offens

How is not a tank affix if the tank is making the route tho?
There are so many tanks that don’t understand the concept of DPS with cleave (aka outlaw, ret), DPS with prio (aka fire mage) and DPS with funnel (I think enchance?).

If you have a group with all cleave DPS is your responsibility to make a route that works around that, if that means e.g. having to skip the bear in DHT or pull it separately to avoid getting five deaths right after it’s your call.

to be fair except everbloom cleave dmg will usually not kill add earlier than if you st down the big mob.
but imagine a ret keep their urge to press divine storm in their pants looool never gonna happen

the class that has basically not st dmg in aoe situations is actually survival hunter

Quit with this “but some classes can’t avoid doing cleave” nonsense. I main ret in keys, and I DO NOT NEED to cleave. I can switch to ST spenders - spenders are where the majority of my damage comes from - to bring prio mobs to low HP before I AOE. It doesn’t take much brain power, but it does take willingness to stop thinking about the dps meters for a few seconds.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.