What PC specifications are needed for The War Within?

New PC day may soon be upon us.
So what specifications will be needed for the War Within expansion?
Steady internet is one thing. But no lag - steady fps rate and more.

Not sure what others might be using. Bought I am open to looking into different brands of PC.

1 Like

I’ve been under the assumption that WoW can run on a microwave powered by squirrels running on a wheel…

1 Like

That is a myth. Urban legend. WoW does not run on potato power.

3 Likes

Really depends on what resolution, graphics details (e.g. ray tracing), and FPS you want to play at.

Generally WoW’s new content gets a little bit more and more demanding on hardware with every expansion. Right now Valdrakken is the most demanding. If your PC can handle that well enough now, I’m sure it will be fine for TWW.

Toaster x^11

1 Like

The weird thing is that Blizzard adds things in a way that causes less performance with very little difference in the game’s details. I had to turn compute effects off because my graphics card would get really annoying coil whine (not Blizzard’s fault) in places that use compute effects heavily like The Emerald Dream, after turning it off there was very little difference in those zones and gameplay was a bit smoother although I didn’t have much issue before.

The issue with Valdrakken is more to do with the server trying to feed information to a lot of players in a small space than the hardware that those people have. In the early hours I get normal FPS but at a normal time with lots of people there it goes down.

1 Like

Right now, avoid 13900k, 14900ks. Intel really messed up on that, so you’re rolling a dice really on if you have issues or not. So 13700k, 14700k is safe. Or wait until the next line of CPU’s come out from Intel that may have fixed this issue altogether.

If not waiting then 7800X3D from AMD is probably the best route to go for if you play other games as well as WoW. Pair it with a 7900GTX or RTX4070, 4080 or even 4090 and you won’t get bottlenecks.

Then 32gb ram is recommended these days, 16gb minimal for ram. Forget how fast ram goes by Mhz, faster those are, the higher the timings so go for something lower in Mhz but has faster timings, it’ll save you money there as well.

A nvme drive, PCIE4.0 is fast enough for WoW, in fact PCIE3.0 drive is fast enough, so if you need to budget then can save money there.

The most expensive part is the GPU but it depends on what resolution you’re going to play at so anything from 4060 and above depending on that.

1 Like

Any modern PC would play wow fine, even a cheap ‘gaming’ pc.

I see raptor lake systems more like central heating than a toaster :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m guessing that the OP wouldn’t have a 14900KS if they’re asking.

Mind you a 14900ks would die of boredom playing wow. I’ve got a 14700kf and it’s barely notices with everything up full at 1440p.

Most motherboard manufactures have released a BIOS update for the power issues with the 900 cpus.

U can see pc specs for war within and like usually u dont need any special to run good in war within…

Even my 8700k & 1070 combo still runs game fine.

Any truth at all to the rumors that TWW will switch to Unreal Engine 5 later in TWW?

Lol. No. /10

Used to be that.
Back in tbc i used to play on pentium 3

I also have massive GPU usage/temperature/fan speed spikes in some areas in Dragonflight, such as Watcher Irideus in Halls of Infusion and Nymue in Emerald Dream. My computer has a Ryzen 7800x3D, Nvidia 3070 RTX, the best consumer-grade SSD, and 64 GB of DDR5 RAM and I play at 1440p. Basically, my PC is chilling most of the time except for a few very specific boss fights.

I just did some back-to-back testing in the Watcher Irideus fight (which is easy thanks to follower dungeons) and checked if disabling Compute Effects helps on my machine. Unfortunately, it doesn’t do much. I tried setting everything to low/disabled, and that one particular fight still causes massive GPU spikes. It always happens shortly after the 2 players drop those huge grey puddles on the floor and then lots of blue swirlies spawn.

It seems like WoW performs some very inefficient calculations for some of the Watcher Irideus mechanics, as well as the Nymue fight. So far I haven’t found a single graphics setting that avoids that, and since my PC is already fairly high-end, I don’t think this is an issue on my side.

1 Like

No, and we should be glad about that. The only good thing about the Unreal Engine is its marketing department, and its ability to look nice in tech demos. But every game sequel that switched to Unreal Engine ended up being far worse. Even now in 2024, Unreal Engine has texture pop-in and a lot of frame-rate stutter when it randomly decides that it needs to recompile some shader stuff in the background.

1 Like

The thing I like about FF14, Black Desert Online, and WoW is they use their own engine.

Most of the games that use stock engines like Unreal look the same, you can spot the engine a mile away.

The more active players there are in an area the more lag you will have , back in the old days the servers would crashed in the evenings and if you were in a 5 man dungeon or a raid you would loose your char and blizzard could not get it back , but these days things work much better and wow will run on almost any pc , but good fast gaming takes a better pc to run the game well.