What the fuzz am I doing?

You should have a list of quest objectives if anything is outstanding when you left.

Also look at the adventure guide (shift and j) to see whats available to you

Try communities over guilds maybe?

What do you mean when you say whats available to do?

Can I ask have you played any other MMO? Elder Scrolls online, FFIV, Guild Wars 2, Runescape?

What games have you played that are similar to WOW or other fantasy games.

An understanding of what you have played previously will help us be able to get rid of some possible expectations based on those games and help direct you.

I played Rift from launch and have been playing BDO for the last 4 years or so. What I’m getting at is that beyond looking at the basics - like following quest icons (which ofc is simple enough) I have no idea how to priorotise what to do. Get my neck stronger - ok get better gear from dungeons - again ok - take this teleport to XYZ yeah mate nice map - find world quests - is it really just farm azerite or whatever it’s called and be done with it? Am I looking for something that doesn’t exist? Using the dungeon finder I can be sat for an hour with nothing and get into a half abaondoned group. I’m not trying to be difficult I just don’t get what I’m missing but it feels like theres something. Surely I don’t just do quests and wait for dungeon/raid groups.

A lot of the advice you’re given is about leveling and that’s really not your problem. Your problem seems to be about confusing endgame and the endgame in WoW is really not well introduced. I wouldn’t blame you if you don’t know how to change dungeon difficulty, because that’s put in a very unintuitive place.

MMOs used to be easy - here’s your goal - kill the raid boss, and you’re done. Then you walk back from that point. Okay, I need a guild to kill this boss. Let’s find a guild that raids. Okay, the guild says I need better gear and here’s how I get it.

But right now in WoW… you just queue for the last wing of LFR and that’s it, you’ve skipped 8 bosses and you’ve cleared everything the game tells you to clear.

There’s no structure around mythic+, the game doesn’t push you to do heroic and mythic raids. It assumes you know about them and you want to do them, but it seems you don’t. The game doesn’t exactly explain how the mythic + keys work, it just tells you to push your key, but it never explains what the hell that key is, and why you’d ever want it.

Your most valued goal in my opinion would be to join a guild that is willing to help, and then to find goals that you want to pursue. I think clearing the current raid on heroic is always a good goal to work towards - not too hard to achieve, but also requires you to engage with all of the game’s mechanics to get it.

3 Likes

Exactly this.
Now how to go about finding a guild that fits that criteria?

Ok, a few thoughts;

1. Check your quest log. At the top should be a section for war campaign, and it may tell you to finish a specific quest, or reach a specific level to continue. I recommend following the WC as much as possible while levelling, since you will pretty much need to get it out of the way eventually.
  2. If you don’t have anything in your quest log, go back to your ship and mission table. Someone there probably has an ! and wants to put you back on the war campaign.
  3. If there’s really truly nothing, head to the top of the pink pyramid where Princess Talanji is standing by a map table. You should be able to pick a zone and get a starter quest to go there.

But also… as someone above asked, what are your expectations? What do you want to get out of this game? Are you looking to run through the lore, the quests, the backstory? Are you looking for a social game? Do you want to get into dungeon groups, and start pushing more difficult levels of content? Do you want to jump into battlegrounds and arena and fight other players? Knowing your goals will help others advise you, since there isn’t specifically a “you should do this” endgame in WoW; it’s about what you choose to make your focus.

Regarding the social side, it does sound like you’ve had a poor experience with guilds. My advice there is; don’t give up. There are a lot of friendly and sociable players around, sometimes it just takes a while to find them. I’d recommend looking up the Zen Horde community - communities are a bit like guilds, but not tied to a realm, and you can join more than one.

There’s also the community recruitment forum, where you might find some folks who are more dedicated to helping newer players find their feet.

1 Like

Well there is the cloak and visions for cloak upgrade and doing uldum and vale stuff to for coalescing visions and echoes.

Echoes can buy rank 3 essences for alts (if unlocked on another char) or corruptions and once your cloak is 15 you can use them to buy further upgrades too.

Tbh at this point if the expansion, 3 months or so to the end, its not much to do. BfA is more or less done so all in all its just finishing off the stuff you haven’t done yet before shadowlands drops.

Maybe work towards getting curve, some achievements, mounts or other stuff thats gonna be removed with pre patch :woman_shrugging:

Thank you for all the replies - I would indeed be looking for a social group to push endgame content and was considering either just playing classic until next expansion or ff14 (yeah the whole anime culture isn’t my thing so scrap that one).
I’ll have a look at that Zen Horde and see if I can find a decent newer player friendly guild. Ty all.

2 Likes

Just google “wow guild recruitment discord/reddit” and you should be good. I’m 90% certain there’s a guild recruitment forum on here too

1 Like

The issue is you’ve started playing the game 2 years after the current expansion was released and about 4-6 months before the release of the next one.

Everything you’re doing now is, I hate to say, pointless.

Dungeon queues are always longer for DPS because there are so many DPS out there, but they’re worse at the end of the expansion because there are less people playing and doing dungeons.

I would recommend you just start playing with other characters, learn the classes and specs and decide what you would like to play as in Shadowlands.

Don’t focus on the neck or cloak or anything else at the moment. It seems you’re stressing over something that is ultimately not worth it at this stage in the expansion.

As for guild, you need to decide what you want to do. Do you want to do PvP or just stick to PvE. Do you want to raid or do you just want to be causal.

Once you’ve decided this then you need to decide do you want to be Horde or Alliance.

Once decided that you then pick a realm that suits your need, you can ask on here best realm depending what you want to do.

Then you can start looking for a guild. Most guilds won’t be recruiting atm as they’ll be chilling and on break till Shadowlands, but you can still have a look out there for some.

2 Likes

I disagree, tbh. The main point of WoW is to enjoy it; as long as the OP is managing that, then they’re doing it right :slight_smile:

Although anyone who suggests ‘preparing’ for Shadowlands by doing anything more than reaching 120 is definitely sending you on pointless tasks. There is no preparation needed if that is the goal. I just don’t think it’s the OP’s goal :slight_smile:

Then yeah, definitely get into a community and guild. Don’t be discouraged if the first ones don’t fit. There’s a lot of players in the game, and a lot of different goals. Make sure to look for ones that are newbie friendly and social, rather than “key pushing” or similar. The more goal-driven they are, the less space they have for people who need guidance :slight_smile:

In general, if there’s a priority list when aiming towards general PvE content, I’d suggest…

1. Stay on the War Campaign and Heart of Azeroth quest lines. Make sure that if there’s a WC or HoA quest, it’s on priority. Keep checking your ship to be sure there’s nobody with a new orange ! waiting for you.

2. Queue for random “normal” dungeons while you play. These will teleport you in and out, and put you right back where you were, but it’ll help pass time while queuing if you’re also running through quests. Hopefully you’ll hit 120 with a few dungeons under your belt and a little experience of group play.

You may well hit 120 before you finish the quests; that’s fine, but you do need to continue them to completion.

At 120, you’ll open up the world of Nazjatar, Mechagon, Essences and the Legendary Cloak quest. You will have a real hard time with the cloak as a fresh 120, so I suggest that when you get a summons from Magni and he’s talking about a black dragonscale, that’s the route to go. This will get you your first Essence.

1. Go to Nazjatar the moment it’s offered. This was the new zone in 8.2, but it will deliver you a respectable weapon relative to the gear you’ll have right now. You’ll also get a second Essence out of it. It’ll also bump your heart up to like level 50, so never farm AP until you’ve been here since it all gets wasted.

2. Follow the quests to upgrade your Essences. The Heart Forge should give you some clues as to where to get more, e.g. some come from completing a mythic dungeon within the timer, or by a certain PvP rank, etc. Some Essences are better for you than others; you’ll have to do your own research here. I recommend the Icy Veins class guides.

3. Keep on queuing for dungeons while you do the above. Really, this is where you’ll get most of your gear. At some point, normals won’t be an upgrade anymore, and you can start going for heroics instead.

4. Mechagon… is sort of optional. It’s good to do the intro, get the flight route; whether you want to bother with the rep grind and dailies is up to you. It’s a big lump of solo content that was meant for people who were already fully geared from the previous patch, and coming to it now, fresh, it might be unnecessary fluff.

5. Frankly by this point, I’m hoping you’ve gotten to know at least one community or guild, because once heroic dungeons are useless, it’s time for mythics, and that means manually forming teams. While you can enter the world of pick-up groups (pugs), I really recommend trying not to. Zen Horde and similar are very good at helping people get to grips with dungeons, so definitely ask them for help.

6. Somewhere around item-level (ilvl) 430-445, that’s about the time to bother with Wrathion’s legendary cloak quest. It really will be a bit ball-busting below that and I just don’t recommend wasting your time on it. Even the assaults are aimed at people wearing gear of this quality or above, and will be hard work if taken on too soon.

Oh, geeze, wall o’ text, sorry! Didn’t realise how big that got :smiley:

Short version:

1. War Campaign
  2. Dungeon gear, first normals, then heroic
  3. Essences
  4. Do some mythic 0s, maybe 2s and 3s, with friends/community/guild
  5. At ilvl 430+, think about Wrathion’s cloak quest, assaults, and visions
4 Likes

Happy to help.

First you need to chose your directive in WoW, as in what activity is it you want to do. It can be one, two or all of them depending on how much of your life you are willing to throw away.

The main activities are:

• Player versus Enemy (Dungeons and Raids)
  • Player versus Player (Competitive combat)
  • Collecting (Mounts, Transmogs, Pets, Achievements)
  • Roleplay

Chose whichever suits you the best and that you get the most fun out of.

PvE: Getting gear

So you have dinged 120 and you want better gear. Let’s go over what I recommend as the first things to do to get better gear.

• Do the opening in quest for Nazjatar, this will reward you with a ilvl 370 weapon and unlock the quest chain for your legendary cloak
  • Do the legendary quest chain to unlock visions
  • Do the daily quests in Pandaria and Uldum to gain echoes of nyalotha and currency to buy vision tokens
  • Do as many visions as you can as this will upgrade your cloak
  • Google a guide on how to get your BiS essences for your class/spec
  • Do every LFR available to you for gear upgrades, beg people for loot they don’t need
  • Do World Quests that reward you with gear upgrades across Nazjatar, Mechagon, Kul’tiras and Zandalar
  • Run heroic/timewalking dungeons until you reach ilvl 420
  • Run normal mythic dungeons, and mythic keys 2-6 until you are ilvl 440

Now you reach the endgame PvE and I recommend joining a guild

• Do Nyalotha Heroic/Mythic and beg for loot other players don’t need.
  • Keep doing mythic + in remaining available time until you complete a +15 key every week
  • Open your weekly chest and repeat

PvP: Getting gear

• Do everything listed in the PvE section above. It’s faster and easier than gearing through actual PvP, and PvE rewards you with your PvP BiS gear as well.

Collecting

• Press shift+P and look up what you are missing, be that pets, achievements mounts or transmogs.
  • Use WoWhead guides to speed up collecting
  • Start collecting
1 Like

I want to throw in the observation here that if the 370 weapon from Nazjatar is a big upgrade (which it is to a fresh 120), then the assaults and visions are excruciatingly hard. IMO, the focus needs to be gearing via dungeons until at least ilvl 430, preferably 445.

Just 2p :slight_smile:

Sorry should say i’m not frsh 120 completely. I have got some benthinc gear (i think thats what its called) and i’m like 405 or something like. This hunter isn’t my main, though it probably should be as i’m terrible at not standing in fire. I have plenty here to try and follow, and first things first I’ll start trying to find communities and guilds to check out.
I was trying to farm mana pearls last I remember to upgrade this gear but as per usual got overwhelmed and wen to kill trash DK’s in bdo instead.
My desperation to find the right direction comes from a desire to play WoW since around 2008. Literally never found a sociable guild from then until now, though to be fair I probably always jump on mid/end of an expansion and don’t hang around long.

There is your issue right there wow is a game that requires commitment and time to be good at and understand it.But to be honest I follow the lore but gameplay wise I am clueless as you are dude I have been playing on and off because BFA didn’t impress me it was too hard of an expansion for me

Yeah I figured that would be the case, it’s just hard to want to stick around when you can’t find what to do to get up to speed, or have poor experience with finding a guild. I’ll see what I can learn between now and the new expansion and try slip in early for that.

1 Like

Ok, that’s useful. I’d check what gear level heroic dungeons will give you then, and be queuing for those pretty much all the time until they stop being upgrades.

Don’t worry about the mana pearls; Nazjatar gear is already outdated, it will max out below the level of mythic dungeon gear. Yes it is horribly confusing. It made sense to people moving from 8.1 to 8.2 to 8.3 as they played, but coming to it all as one bit lump is a bit… messy.

What you want from Nazjatar is your Lucid Dream essence, ideally all the way to rank 3.

Sounds like you’ve probably completed your War Campaign and gotten 6 followers; you may want to use your mission table to get you some extra AP or reputation. The latter will help you unlock flying faster.

If you’ve got Wrathion’s cloak quest, that’s good, but I do think you’ll have a hard time at 405. I’d put your focus on settling into a community and/or guild, and getting some dungeons done with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You pretty much summed up all themepark MMO’s There isn’t much more to it than go here kill stuff or queue while doing it?

1 Like

WQs would probably serve you better for gear from 405ilvl tbh and maybe trying some low m+ and pushing towards higher keys as you get experience.

I got one character to 445ilvl just with WQs and the cloak because health problems lock me out of most end game.

You have the right idea to go for a community and looking for a guild that suits you in the long run.

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you in the shadowlands :smiley:

2 Likes

I guess all you nice helpful people are just hiding in game… I’ll find you mark my words!

1 Like