What the hell even is Dalaran?

This bugged me for quite a good while now. All started with quite an innocent question.

“What is Dalaran?”

Dalaran is a city state and one of the seven original human kingdoms of Azeroth. Sounds easy enough, right?

But what’s a kingdom? The definition of a kingdom is literally “a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen

From what we know, Dalaran used to have Magocratic lords. Which I personally assume is hereditary taking the word “lord” into consideration. However there’s no proof of this title being still present nowadays. The first known ruler of Dalaran was Ardogan, one of the first human mages trained by the high elves. However it was never stated that he would be a king, all we know is that he was a ruler. Still, it’s quite safe to assume that during this time Dalaran was very much a kingdom and Ardogan its king.

So. This basically means that Dalaran did in fact start out as a kingdom. But what is it nowadays? We have no proof of magocratic lords. We have no proof of a king because the whole state is ruled by the council with now Khadgar as its head and the kirin tor. It shouldn’t be considered a kingdom, because it literally doesn’t live up to the one single requirement for it to be an official kingdom. Your bloodline does not matter one bit when you are accepted into the council.
The council votes, on the decisions they make as we’ve seen with Khadgar becoming the new leader and the Horde being allowed back into the city. Even though it seems like the head of the council has more power than the others, we’ve been shown in the case of Jaina that she was quite easily outvoted. But at this point I’m just rambling about the Dalaranian political system.

TL;DR Dalaran is not a kingdom and I have no idea why it’s still considered one.

Simple
Its a city full of wizards, mages, conjurors (warlocks under the sweres), enhancers, illusionist and all…
Good luck finding someone who have the balls of pure steel to tell THEM “guys, you are not a kingdom”

The Ebonhold is parked right beside Dalaran.
If they have the balls to attack the Paladins on their own turf, I’m sure mages wouldn’t be too big of a stretch.

Yes, but we are a the Good Guys!
And smart enough not to piss of a city full of wizard and nasty fire spells
They hurt
A lot

1 Like

3 Words.
Anti Magic Shell.

Also
Use Mind Freeze

Yeah with their magic their militairy power probably could easily rival a kingdoms army, thats why they probably got recognized as a kingdom. Havent seen anyone call it a kingdom recently tho

Dalaran is a place where the lesser classes get to meet mages and the players behind those lesser classes get to selfreflect on the choices they made on the character creation screen.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Really? Here I fought it was where Sunreavers went to die.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.