Whats the purpose of "Hunter`s Mark"?

I started to use it at first cuz I thought it increase your damage to your marked target as once was, but then I realized

“Apply Hunter’s Mark to the target, causing the target to always be seen and tracked by the Hunter.”

What is the point of that? I can see the target without waste time to use this ability to mark it. And I thought you can see the rogues when they vanish to stealth but no…

So what is the point of using this mark? I dont get it.

2 Likes

It’s used in pvp to keep Rogues and Druids visible to you unless the Rogue uses Cloak of Shadows to remove it. HM can also be dispelled so it’s one of those two scenarios that allows either of the classes to return to stealth.

And in Shadowlands it will let you reduce damage you receive from the target that has HM.

Pre-shadowlands prepatch (9.0), it used to give hunters a +5% dmg increase on that target. The vast majority of hunters don’t like the gameplay of hunter’s mark, so the damage element was removed.

3 Likes

I see a lot of Hunters still putting this in priority bars but its really not required. Just like Flare, its a PvP thing now. Its utterly useless for PvE, but pretty critical for PvP as it pretty much guarantees a Cat Druid’s death and a wastes some clueless/desperate Rogue’s Cloak of Shadow way much earlier than supposed to.

6 Likes

also u can cover imp dispell with it :drooling_face:

Hard counter to rogues

2 Likes

It’s great the way it works now because before you always felt obligated to cast it, especially if you switched targets you’d have to just keep casting it over and over.

Now it’s just a pvp mechanic, which is a little weird to have a core ability that is only effective in PvP but at least it’s actually quite strong.

To be honest, it’s actually quite overpowered. You can essentially keep someone from utilizing stealth again, it probably works on invisibility abilities or potions too but even if it didn’t it’s an ability that lasts minutes, costs nothing, is instant and you don’t need to waste a pvp talent for it.

It should only last 30 secs to a minute at most. A rogue having to use cloak of shadows would be a huge sacrifice just to get rid of it, because it’s one of their crucial defenses, otherwise I’ve seen plenty of rogues try to re stealth after marked…which they can but they’re still visible.

2 Likes

To make Rogues salty. Go check their thread about it.
Anyway, as people already stated it’s a PvP ability and quite useful at it’s purpose.

3 Likes

And Ferals I guess, they already struggle in most content. And with MM becoming pretty good, I can imagine this to be a little troublesome for them.

4 Likes

Yeah those guys I kinda feel sorry for, cool spec, but in a bad spot atm, getting a HM on top of that is just awful for them.

3 Likes

Its use is to make the life of Rogue and Druid miserable in pvp.

2 Likes

it doesnt prevent rogues/feral to go stealth, u can dispel it
but yea it used to be shorter 30s? duration in pvp back in the day, but also it was auto appiled in cata? as a physical debuff so not sure which was better :smiley:

If by back in the day you mean before becoming a talent, it lasted 2 mins.

It’s fun and usefull against our nemesis in PvP aka rogues.

Right now it’s useless in PvE, sadly.

There is an ability in Torghast that makes HM increase damage to target by 10%, while you are in Torghast.

There’s also some Conduits that add effects to Hunter’s Mark. Like Markman’s Advantage, which reduces the damage they do to you by 6%. Good for PvP and maybe solo PvE.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.